It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CB Radio -- Help Me!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
IIRC you can have CB antennae that stands at most 20 ft higher than the highest structure on your property. From my experience with military radios, the higher the antennae the better the coverage.

A cb radio and a good scanner(if legal in your state or country) are a good way to start on creating an emergency communications system. Even if you never talk on the CB, listening in can provide you with some info on road conditions, LEO patrols and other useful info that might save you some trouble.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Just watch about using a CB radio in a SITX you are very track-able by someone looking for your hideout/camp etc.

We used to track troublemakers on the CB radio in the 1970-80s with a simple
loop antenna and the signal strength meter on the radio. then pin there coax.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
As a trucker, I have dealt quite a bit with the CB. It's noisy, low-range, and sometimes people abuse their radios with 'cards' that do nothing but make them unintelligible. Most trurcks still have them, but the cell phone has replaced the CB as the way to talk to others and stave off boredom. But, if you really want one...

I would suggest starting with a small Uniden. I know our local WalMart has one that is about $40.00. If you want something prettier, shinier, maybe with a bit more range, the next stepm up is the Cobra. you should be able to find a small one for about $70-$80, or you can get a nice Cobra 29 for around $100.

Above that, you're getting serious. A Galaxy 929 like I have is a $200 radio. I use it because it does help cut through the noise. And because a friend gave it to me

As to antennas, someone mentioned a magnetic mount. I agree. It should stick pretty tight to any metal part of the car (yes, even the trunk, if it's fairly flat). Otherwise, just look at the available options; you can get mouts to put them anywhere.

Avoid the truck stops if possible. They are there because truckers can't just pull into any parking lot, and they charge for that convenience. Go to a CB shop (if you don't know where one is, ask a trucker at the truck stop) or a department store.

And as a last thought, learn the lingo. For example, calling someone a 'good buddy' used to be a compliment. Now, it is a serious insult, with emphasis on the 'good'...

And please don't hog the airwaves.

TheRedneck

<< 1   >>

join