It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US rejects Israeli request for bunker-busters: report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

US rejects Israeli request for bunker-busters: report

www.abc.net.au

An Israeli newspaper is reporting that the US has rejected a request from Israel to provide it with advanced weapons, fearing they could be used against Iran.

The Ha'aretz report says Israel had asked the US for bunker-busting bombs, mid-air refuelling planes, and clear passage over Iraq for its air force.

The paper says the Americans have knocked back the request, fearing it would give a green light to an attack on Iran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This gives me a little bit of confidence that perhaps the US don't want to start a war with Iran in the near future.

On the other hand it also shows that Israel is well on it's way down the war path. I hope they stop before we all regret it.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
After all that, I think that the US is trying to force Israel to use the only think they have to destroy those undergrounds labs... nukes.

If Israel uses nukes, then Syria will really make peace and the trouble in the middle-east will be over or not.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This is propaganda at its.....(whatever). We will be involved. This is just plausible deniability via the disinformation complex. Some will lap it up, some see right through it, the vast majority wonder what's on TV tonight.

An attack by Israel will set off a chain of events. We couldn't stay out if we tried.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Friday, September 12, 2008

Iran renews nuclear weapons development

50-60 tons of uranium goes missing from facility

Nuclear experts responsible for monitoring Iran's nuclear programme have discovered that enough enriched uranium, which if processed to weapons grade level could be used to make up to six atom bombs, has disappeared from the main production facility at Isfahan.

American spy satellites have identified a number of suspicious sites, which the Iranians have not declared to nuclear inspectors, that intelligence officials believe are being used for covert research.

The new discoveries emerged as it was revealed that Israel had asked America for military supplies, including "bunker buster" bombs and re-fuelling planes, suitable for an attack on Iranian nuclear installations.

The Israeli paper Haaretz reported yesterday that Israel has also asked for permission to use an air corridor through Iraqi airspace, currently controlled by America, to Iran.

So far the requests have been turned down by Washington, which is currently not as keen as Israel to consider a military strike against Iran.

But concern that Iran has resumed work on building atom bombs has deepened following the revelation that large quantities of uranium has gone missing from Iran's conversion facility at Isfahan.

The Isfahan complex, which enriches raw uranium "yellow cake" into material that can be used for either nuclear power or atomic weapons, is supposed to be subject to close supervision by the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). But the Iranians only allow IAEA inspectors access to the final stage of the production process, where the uranium in gas form - UF6 - is stored.

By conducting a careful study of the amount of material stored at Isfahan, and the amount of "yellow cake" known to have been processed at the plant, nuclear experts believe between 50-60 tons of uranium - which if enriched to weapons grade level would be sufficient to produce five or six atom bombs - has gone missing from the plant.

IAEA officials believe the Iranians have deliberately removed the uranium at a stage in the production process that is not under their supervision. "The inspectors only have limited access at Isfahan, and it looks as though Iranian officials have removed significant quantities of UF6 at a stage in the process that is not being monitored," said a nuclear official. "If Iran's nuclear intentions are peaceful, then why are they doing this?" Nuclear inspectors have also been concerned to discover that Gholamreza Aghazadeh, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organisation, recently ordered scientists to increase the amount of UF6 being diverted from Isfahan to another storage facility.

IAEA officials have no idea where the missing uranium is being stored, but suspect it could be held at one of several suspicious installations that have been spotted by American spy satellites.

The Iranians will be asked to give a full account of the missing enriched uranium when the IAEA's board of governors meets in Vienna later this month to discuss the continuing crisis over Iran's nuclear enrichment programme.

The mounting concern over Iran's nuclear intentions has intensified Israeli efforts to prepare for a possible pre-emptive strike on Iran, which has led Jerusalem to presenting Washington with a "wish list" of military equipment.

In the past America has been prepared to provide Israel with "bunker buster" bombs, known by their serial number GBU-28. They weigh over two tons each and are designed to penetrate deep underground, even through reinforced concrete, before detonating.

Israel used them in unsuccessful attempts to take out the leadership of Hizbollah, the militant Shia group, during the war of 2006.

(telegraph.co.uk)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
That's a very interesting article

I have to admit if I was Israeli and read that I would be feeling a quite scared. As it is it sends a chill through my bones just thinking about it.

I suppose that too could be propaganda and the reference to US spy imagery gives me a sense of deja vu of Iraq.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Saturday, September 13, 2008

US a step closer to Iran blockade

The United States government has imposed new sanctions on Iran, this time targeting its shipping industry, by blacklisting the main shipping line and 18 subsidiaries, accusing the maritime carrier of being engaged in contraband nuclear material, a charge vehemently denied by Iran.

While the economic impact of the measures against Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) will be minimal in light of the near absence of any connection between the shipping company and US businesses, this latest US initiative against Iran sends a strong signal about the US's intention to escalate pressure on Iran, even unilaterally if need be. And, perhaps, it is a prelude for more serious and dangerous actions in the near future, above all a naval blockade of Iran to choke off its access to, among other things, imported fuel.

The outgoing George W Bush administration is slowly but surely taking strident actions that will effectively tie the hands of the next US president, particularly if that happens to be Democratic candidate Senator Barack Obama, who in the past has expressed an interest in direct dialogue with Tehran.

Should the new sanctions prove as catalysts for more aggressive US actions against Iran in international waters or the Persian Gulf, as called for by some members of US Congress seeking the interdiction of Iranian cargo ships, then by the time Bush's successor takes over at the Oval Office next January, the climate in US-Iran hostility may have degenerated to such depths that it would take a monumental effort to undo what appears to be Bush's last hurrah.

On the other hand, on the eve of US presidential elections in November, more tensions between the US and Iran are tantamount to greater prioritization of national security issues by the average American voter, something that benefits Obama's Republican rival, "bomb, bomb Iran" John McCain.

Indeed, the coupling of crisis in Georgia and the Iran crisis represents a major bonus for McCain and his "get tough" approach toward the US's external foes.

According to American investigative journalist Seymour Hersh, who has done several reports on US covert actions against Iran, Bush has on more than one occasion vowed not to leave the White House with Iran's nuclear program still intact.

With the new tensions with Russia over Georgia lessening the prospects for fresh "multilateral" Iran diplomacy at the United Nations this autumn, the White House has now begun a new chapter in coercive, unilateral action against Iran that may well be part of a comprehensive "package approach". This could include the interdiction of Iranian ships on the high seas and even incremental steps toward imposing a regime of "smart blockade" aimed at denying Iran access to badly needed imported fuel.

The purpose of the latter would be to in effect target the Iranian population by applying tangible pain that could dissipate the popular support for the government's nuclear policy, that is, its insistence that it has the right under the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty to enrich uranium. Doubtless, this is playing with fire and things could get nasty and rather quickly, spiralling out of control in the event of a stern Iranian reaction.

(Rest of the article: Asia Times Online)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i wonder why no ones talking about the fact that israel and pakistan both hold and have developed arsenals of nucleur weapons illegaly in contraventi0n of the iaea?.
i believe in both cases the usa helped to arm those countries in such a fashion.
and with pakistan it was rogue elements within the cia who sold them the technology.

a little bit bizzare isnt it?.

looks like once again we have those who wish to cause war and division.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Russia says no to war, sanctions on Iran

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev says he will not accept military action or new sanctions against Iran over its nuclear activities.

"We should not take any unilateral steps. It is not acceptable to opt for a military scenario," President Medvedev said Friday at the Valdai Club, which sees journalists and academics specializing on Russia.

His remarks come as speculation runs high that Israel and the US are drawing up plans to launch a military strike against Iran in a bid to hamper the country's nuclear program.

(Press TV)

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I doubt sanctions are going to satisfy Iran now. Especially considering the 50-60 tons of UF6 missing.

U.S. sanctions on Iran have no teeth, diplomacy failing, Ros-Lehtinen charges

JERUSALEM — A key member of Congress said U.S. sanctions on Iran have not been enforced and are ineffective.

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a former House Foreign Relations subcommittee chair, said U.S. and international sanctions on Teheran have failed to make a dent in Iran's nuclear program. In an address to the Institute for Contemporary Affairs, Ms. Ros-Lehtinen said sanctions approved by Congress has been ignored or diluted by the White House.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

israel nor pakistan signed the npt and therefore are not bound to it, but iran did and are.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
More Iran news:

Syria and Russia strengthen naval cooperation

Russia announced Friday it was renovating a Syrian port for use by the Russian fleet in what signals an effort for a better foothold in the Mediterranean amid the rift with the United States over Georgia.

Syria was Moscow's strongest Mideast ally during the Cold War. The alliance largely waned after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, though Russia has continued some weapons sales to Damascus. Syrian President Bashar Assad has increasingly reached out to Russia recently, including seeking weapons and offering broader military cooperation.

Ahmadinejad: Iran will support Hamas until collapse of Israel

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad vowed Friday to keep supporting the Palestinian militant group Hamas until the "collapse of Israel."

The Iranian news agency Khabar quoted Ahmadinejad as telling Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh that Iran views the support of the Palestinian people as part of its religious and national duty and that Iran will stand behind the Palestinian nation "until the big victory feast which is the collapse of the Zionist regime."

Iran slams U.S. sanctions on shipping line as 'unjustifiable'

Iran on Friday condemned U.S. sanctions on the country's largest shipping line as "illegal and unjustifiable," insisting the company never engaged in any illicit activities such as the transfer of equipment for Tehran's missile and nuclear programs.

In the Iranian government's first reaction to the sanctions, its UN mission accused the United States of targeting "the welfare of the Iranian nation" and exerting "undue pressure on thousands of shareholders" of the shipping company with baseless allegations.

(Source: haaretz.com)

[edit on 12-9-2008 by chips]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
reply to post by welivefortheson

israel nor pakistan signed the npt and therefore are not bound to it, but iran did and are.

That fact doesn't really evaporate much of the hypocrisy though, now does it.

This situation seems to be deteriorating quite rapidly. If I were Israeli, I'd likely be thinking now's a good time to go visit someone far, far away. If I were Iranian, I'd be thinking the same thing. Although, that very concept is really the only thing offering a glimmer of hope.

It's inconceivable to think that Iran would not expect any response to a nuclear strike to be anything but nuclear in return, likely with much higher yield warheads. For this reason, the missing uranium has me puzzled. In what state of mind must one be in to think now would be a good time to remove 60 tons of uranium from the books? Although such a rumor couldn't be too difficult to spread rather credibly if it originates in certain circles. Hmm, who stands to gain from this situation?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Yeah, it's rather perplexing, isn't it? Especially at this time.

And, unfortunately, I think the report is true because it's coming directly from officials at the International Atomic Energy Agency; 50-60 tons of uranium really does look like it's gone missing (and that's not even mentioning the secret facilities the U.S. has 'found').

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Israel can go ahead and bomb the Iranian research facilities... on one condition... Israels own nuclear arsenal and laboratories get bombed as well.

No?

I mean, if it's illegal nuclear research were talking about here... Israels has PLENTY of nukes, and weapons that can only be used for genocide.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

This report sounds like BS to me. They're referring to yellowcake as 'enriched uranium' but yellowcake is just the raw uranium ore and has very low radioactivity, and Iran mines it's own uranium so it doesn't need to steal it from it's own stockpile. If they were going to process uranium in secret, at a secret facility, they wouldn't steal the materials from a known facility that's crawling with IAEA Inspectors.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

God knows. I'm not going to second-guess what Iran does in regard to its nuclear program.

Is it feasible the IAEA are lying, though?

Actually, it probably doesn't matter that much anyway; Israel only needs a half-decent excuse.

[edit on 13-9-2008 by chips]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Just out of curiosity: Does the IAEA monitor Iranian mining of raw uranium? Because (from the point of view of the report) the Iranians could be mining less uranium while deceptively transporting some of it from the existing stockpile at Isfahan (enriching at about 5%) to another 'secret' facility somewhere (enriching at a much higher level).

[edit on 13-9-2008 by chips]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The IAEA also said that at the Syrian site - NOTHING related to a nuclear reactor was found;

and exactly why would Israel ask the USA to fly over Iraq? - thats like me asking chips if i can drive accross australia....

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

I don't know if the IAEA monitors the mining but this article seems to indicate that they don't normally monitor the stockpile at Isfahan, so I assume they don't monitor the mining. So far the Iranians haven't enriched beyond 3.5% at Isfahan and once the enrichment has begun, the uranium is turned into a gas and spun in the centrifuges - it can't just be taken out and transported off site. That part is monitored by the IAEA.

If there was a secret installation somewhere, it wouldn't stay secret long if they were getting their yellowcake from Isfahan which is monitored by inspectors, satellite and probably CIA on the ground. It just doesn't make sense when there's dozens of places in the country they can mine it from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join