It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if no one voted?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I have to say I'm not thrilled with the choices we are left with for the upcoming election in the U.S.

I wasn't thrilled with either of the dominate party candidates before they chose running mates. But now with the annoucements of their choices, I'm even more "not thrilled."

So my question to the masses here on ATS, with a realistic expectation to receive nothing more than opinions, due to the fact that this suggestion is unprecidented, is:

What, hypothetically of course, would happen if we as a united (and not "moronic") population, simply didn't cast a single vote?

It would certainly send the message that we think there are smarter, more electable, honest people out there that could fix America. I personally know at least three individuals I would rather vote for than the choices we have been given.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Would the Government just appoint someone?

Does the Constitution explain what would happen if no votes were cast?

Does anyone know, or have a guess?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the current government would become a 'Caretaker Government" with a mandate only for supply issuses e.g keep day to day running of things going like money, health.

Then another Election would have to be called. If still no votes then someone with the power or balls will just take control?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
if no one voted then congress will appoint the president and vice-president.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by namehere]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As fewer people voted, obvious each vote would count much more.

Ultimately, the country would be dictated by a handful of fanatics who would control everything -- they would be the only voters.

Hey. Could we be there now? We get closer each day.

Only sixty-four percent of U.S. citizens age 18 and over voted in the 2004 presidential election.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
As fewer people voted, obvious each vote would count much more.

Ultimately, the country would be dictated by a handful of fanatics who would control everything -- they would be the only voters.

Hey. Could we be there now? We get closer each day.

Only sixty-four percent of U.S. citizens age 18 and over voted in the 2004 presidential election.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Just found this on the webby thing

What if they hold an election and no one votes

Looks like it did happen....

As Broward County election results trickled in Tuesday night, some spectators wondered why no vote totals were shown for an annexation referendum near Tamarac. The mystery's answer disappointed government officials. The election's final result, "0 votes," was accurate: Not one registered voter who lives in the unincorporated Prospect Bend neighborhood turned out for the annexation question.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
First of all. When you say if "nobody voted" are you refering to all registered voters? When we go to the polls we do not actually vote for a president, we vote for our "electorals". Electorals (house of rep. people) then vote and they dont legally have to vote republican or democrat per say. Basically just do some research on the electoral college.

Its a valid point, but people not voting or "letting thier voices be heard" really has no say in the way our voting system is structured. Our direct vote does not count, its more of an indirect vote. I mean canidates can fail to win the popular vote but still win the Presidental election, this happened in 1876, 1888, and most of you know in 2000.

Before you ask where is my info coming or proof, just look at Wiki, its all there with references.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

top topics

join