It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin leaves open option of war with Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Palin leaves open option of war with Russia

seattlepi.nwsource.com

"We will not repeat a Cold War," Palin said in her first television interview since becoming Republican John McCain's vice presidential running mate two weeks ago.

Asked whether the United States would have to go to war with Russia if it invaded Georgia, and the country was part of NATO, Palin said: "Perhaps so."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
elections.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cindy McCain talks about Palin's National Security Experience
Palin Asked About Potentially Banning Books
Reverend Wright, Meet Ed Kalnins - Palin's Own "Pastor Disaster"

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am tired of hearing about Palin and the ubiquitous political tit for tat, but this interview disturbed me sufficiently enough to want to post it on ATS.

Palin's "perhaps so" on a war between the United States and Russia is the gutsiest comment by anyone in this political season so far.

Not only is it irresponsible and simply frightening but it reflects very clearly on the character of a woman who could be one heartbeat away from the Presidency and the nuclear codes.

I can only imagine what the Kremlin may be thinking and planning in response to a McCain-Palin win. With McCain's diehard mccarthyism and Palin's inexcusable irreverence this ticket is something the Russians should be very concerned about right now.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
What is the surprise here? The NATO doctrine clearly states that an attack on one NATO country is considered an attack on all. Thats why the Russian/Georgian conflict was was so interesting because of the "what if Georgia was part of NATO?" factor. Thigs would have been much different.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
What is the surprise here? The NATO doctrine clearly states that an attack on one NATO country is considered an attack on all. Thats why the Russian/Georgian conflict was was so interesting because of the "what if Georgia was part of NATO?" factor. Thigs would have been much different.

Exactly, and that is in the context the question was asked. The Ukraine was also included in the "hypothetical". I doubt that the answer would have been any different if given by any leader (or potential leader) of a NATO member country.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It may well be a formality in some doctrine, but the question was pertinent enough to be put to her. Palin's response is threatening and sends the wrong signals. A leader should be addressing the complexities of the situation in Georgia and the Caucasus and working on diplomatic solutions, not irreverently stating they are open to a war which could cause the deaths of millions.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Some say that there still wouldn't have been a military conflict with the Russian Federation — even if Georgia was a member of NATO.

The potential for thermonuclear war and the deaths of hundreds of millions of people, all for the sake of a tiny republic with a population the sixth of Texas?

Nah.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Why so we can hear more lies?

She said the truth, if Russia attacks Ukraine we might have to honor NATO and fight the war...

What would we do? Just abandon Nato?

She was honest... something Americasn don't like to hear.

When Kennedy pulled us to the brink and backed them down he was a hero, where has American resolve gone.

Bashing that statement confirms any president who would say otherwise as America truely being a Paper Tiger

If Russia heads back to Europe ...it's not a "perhaps" it's a given... we 'd have no choice, it's honest, I don't think any president liberal or conservative could say otherwise without lying

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Being sick of war, this being the 21st century and all, Palin does not deserve my vote, so no McCain either. I do not care for the opposing ticket. What kind of a choice is that to leave the American people? It is no choice at all.

Disgraceful. No more warmongers.

Obsrvr

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Just abandon Nato?

The world takes very little note of the UN, why should NATO be any different?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
ABC News Interview

Here's a link to the Palin interview on ABC. Watch what she says, because there's more to the story than "perhaps so".

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Frankly I have posted more than once that it is high time Europe seriously buil a real army, but for the moment we are stuck in this situation

Given my choice as president, I would slowly switch over to seeing the EU become another America, and being able to protect itself

From a military standpoint America would be of best help to Europe if we Chose to ener any conflict after an attack... as per WW2, not leaving us spread out globally and Europe having minimal defenses by comparison

so i agree, it's not our place anymore

and also see the the EU is actually headed in this direction

But for now I can't see us just walking off on Europe if Ukraine is attacked, i don't think Obama would do it any differently either.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I also (and please no political attacks) disagree that McCain Palin and Bush are remotely similar

Bush and Cheney had a real agenda of war, I think that all republicans tend to be "sterner" and more "for the military" and do not thin that is bad... I believe a hasty retreat woul make us look very weak and be a bad thing and cause more war than it prevented via a vaccum of power

But Bush and Cheney were... as close to a dictatorship as we have ever come, they screwed alot of Republicans too in terms of what we voted for...Glad, very glad to see them leave and have my fingers crossed that they do...

But this..what happened goes way beyond party lines, we should all be aware of that in our choices

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Can you think of any conceivable reason that the Ukraine would be attacked? Is there a civil war in the Ukraine? Are there Russian peacekeepers in the Ukraine? Are Ukrainian soldiers firing on Russians?

Seems to me this is nothing but paranoia.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This statement is most disturbing because she is faced with a scenario where she will act on limited information. Does the American people truly believe she has been experienced enough to study Continental United States complexities from many angles?

I would think not. She is the same person that all the GOP criticized OBAMA for being. GOP is synonymous with double-standard.

A hockey mom for president? Are you serious?

AAC

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
It is interesting.... I was just over at the Huffington Post debating this issue and the left over there says the same thing. It seems the party line on the left is NATO members can burn if attacked.

If Obama is elected I hope the ideology is not to "ignore and appease" at all costs if a NATO member is attacked. We saw what Russia can do. I can't believe I am hearing the left go so far as to say NATO can burn for all we care.

NATO is very important to the survival of western civilization. I am starting to wonder what exactly the left in this country is really thinking. Is it just politics or do they really think America is a bad place and we need to join our communist friends in a new Warsaw Pact?

My goodness this is getting absurd...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I am not saying it Will... but the question posed to Palin is likewise also fictional, it is IF Georgia was a Member of Nato and Ukraine would be the closest possibility to that happening.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

I wouldn't call it fictional.

It's more of a hypothetical, since it seems that both Georgia and the Ukraine are on the road to (possibly) becoming NATO member nations.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by northof8

I don't believe Obama would abandon Nato.

The problem is that... America is weak, we have been very comfortable for a long time and there is a big portion of our population that won't fight for ANY reason, that believes we are 100% sheltered here inthe States and lives in comfort to a degree that thier only concern is a tax cut for a few more luxuries

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Fair Enough, what do you you think the odds are that Russia will move to prevent that from happening?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
She's "fully committed to Georgia?" On this basis alone, she should be rejected as ignorant on foreign affairs and national security. Unfortunately, she's just repeating the claptrap that all the major candidates for office have said. The Russian attack on Georgia was "unprovoked?" This is a laughable outright lie.

Making committments to defend countries like Poland, already in NATO, was a collossal blunder. Extending this blunder to Georgia and Ukraine as part of what is basically an energy and arm sales strategy is insane. The US has stood by and done essentially nothing after the Russian response in Georgia. That is reality. That is as it should be. Risk millions of lives in a conflict that our erstwhile "ally" started? No I am not a Georgian today, nor at any time in the foreseeable future.

Georgia never had "sovereignty" over Ossettia. The conflict has been underway since the dissolution of the Soviet empire. Why doesn't someone ask our political leaders what is the sovereign territory of Georgia? It was never decided. We are supposed to risk WWIII over such an obscure issue? We're not going to roll over Russia the way we bombed Serbia into submission. Anyone that contemplates armed conflict with Russia needs to have their head examined.

My remarks apply to all the current candidates for office, the current administration, Congress, the CFR, the arms industry, the oil industry and any one else who harbors such ill conceived thoughts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join