It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Hill - Mysterious Pennsylvania

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The following is a link to a video of a hill that I am VERY familiar with. I live in Middletown Pennsylvania which is right outside Harrisburg. This Hill is located just South of Harrisburg along Interstate 83, at a place called Reesers Summit.

A little Background and Lore of this hill. This area is very rural countyside but the road that crosses it at the stop sign is very busy. Not only that but if you look to the right of the stop sign the road goes up. So basically the hill that you see the car going backwards on is a hill on top of a hill. To the right of the stop sign the road only goes up for about 30-40 yards before the hill crests, and there is a sharp curve(left to right if you are going up the road). That makes this road very very dangerous. That Intersection has had many fatal accidents and continues to till this day.

That brings me to the Lore. The story of why cars travel uphill revolves around an accident at that intersection. The story goes that many years ago a School Bus full of Elementary children was pulling out from that road when a Semi crested the hill at a high rate of speed, crashing into the bus and killing 27 children and the driver. One of the storys is that the reason you are traveling uphill when in neutral is that it is the kids are pushing you away from danger. Another of the Stories is at night you can hear the children crying, and another story is that (not always) but sometimes you can put baby power on the hood of your car and after you go backwards you can see small handprints in the baby powder.

That Leads me to my personal investigation. I have gone there with everything from a little Geo Storm to a Fire Engine and everything, everytime when put in neutral goes up the hill backwards. I have used everything from marbles to water to bowling balls and everything but vehicles goes downhill like it should. I have been on that hill at least 100 times and I have never heard children crying but on one occasion I did see what looked like child size handprints on the hood of the car in baby powder.

I don't pretend to know whats going on there but if you live close by or just want to visit that place u2u me and I am willing to take anyone there that wants to go. I just wanna know what is going on.

oh yeah the link
www.paranormalnews.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is one of those stories that seems to take place in almost every state. There are stories of the children pushing cars off of a railroad track that they were killed on, too.

It's an interesting ghost story, to say the least, but I think that it loses its credibility when you hear of it every where.

Lewisberry, PA

San Antonio, Texas

Mission san Juan, Texas

And so on....

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Yeah I totally agree with you in regards to the paranormal aspect. I mean the story is there but that is not what peeks my interest. I simply want to understand why vehicles travel uphill when everything else goes downhill. I take this as a personal challenge because I have been there so many times and tried so many things but I am still as stumped as the day I first went there

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jwstarry

Good thread...that car seemed to move uphill as if under power. I'd like to see Round Two, i.e. more testimonial videos...Cool.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
While this is definitely a peculiar situation, it is not paranormal. The topography of the area makes it appear the hill is "pointing" down, but in reality it is "pointing" up. This becomes apparent when he pulls out the level. He uses the level to prove that he is on a hill. While it does show an incline it is in the opposite direction of what he is assuming.

The little bubble in a level always goes to the end that is more up. Since the bubble is consistently to the left, it shows that the left side of the hill (the side with the stop sign) is actually higher.

As for the ball... the ball doesn't follow the direction the car rolled, but it doesn't roll back towards the stop sign either. It appears to go off the side of the road, almost perpendicular to the actual road. This would suggest that the gradient of the hill is higher sideways along the road than it is along the path of the road. The car rolls backwards instead because it is not capable of rolling side to side. You should see the same motion of the car from any object with rigid wheels.

I hope this makes sense and helps clear up the mystery!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It's an optical illusion.

A professional survey would have to prove or disprove the mystery.

A bubble level would be affected by the anti gravity the same way a 2 thousand pound car would.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The car doesn't go uphill, the car goes downhill.
The layout of the land makes it appear to be an uphill road, but it is not, its downhill.

This was explained in video somewhere. New Jersey possibly where there are similar hills.

Its an optical illusion.

Just down the street from me there is a series of undulating hills that make up the major road, however from my crossroad it looks like a single giant mountainous hill stretching all the way to the Rocky Mountains in a single upward curve for twenty miles, it it absolutely is not. In fact there are dozens deep drops in the road that are invisible from my vantage point.

Nothing at all supernatural.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
It is an optical elusion. I believe it has been confirmed. as for the hand prints in baby powder, I believe you are seeing what you "want" to see.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is quite common, there is a place in Australia called magnetic hill, there is a simple explanation for this

youtube vid

[edit on 13-10-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
theres one of these hills in epping forest in the uk, i think its called hangmans hill as the car always stops in front of a bleached white tree where highway men were supposedly hanged. it is disconcerting when you turn off the car engine and you roll uphill i could only guess that it is an optical illusion but it is a very convincing one. Great little places add mystery to life and going there as a kid had me enthralled.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaxxm

The little bubble in a level always goes to the end that is more up. Since the bubble is consistently to the left, it shows that the left side of the hill (the side with the stop sign) is actually higher.

Thanks jaxxm ... the level says it all!

Car is rolling DOWN the hill.

Cooky optical illusion ... very cool ...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Yup just an optical illusion. Pretty cool regardless though

top topics

join