It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does an election year do for the U.S Economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
One of my research papers for my economic anthro class is what does an election year do for the U.S economy and its people. It was a topic I came up with because just off the bat I notice things that , in my eyes, seem to happen in my short 24 years on earth.

Gas/oil prices seem to drop. Purely conjecture on my part, but it seems that gas and oil prices seem to drop the summer before a big election. Im not sure if its just down to the presidential year or not though.

But when it comes to any other trends, I cant find many answers. I was wondering if people have seen any trends for this 08 election. Gas prices have definitely been going down. And oil prices I believe went below 100 a barrel. I think theres much more to this and its not a coincidence.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
In your essay did you ever think to include how it help stimulate the economy in the present time.

If you look at the vast amount of money these candidates are getting from donors, it has to be impacting the economy in a good way IMO.

They are spending on advertisement, conventions, employees, flights, gas, hotels, and many other things.

In addition they are drawing huge crowds that are also spending money on drinks, cameras, food, gas, etc...

Furthermore, the media is also investing in the economy by covering these events spending money in similar fashion as above.

I think the election is good for our present economy.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I have thought of that. I havent written it yet. Its due at the end of the semester. All 20 pages of it.. Ugh.

Those are all good trends. And I will include them...

But what about the prices of things , that at first glance , only seem to happen during an election year. Like the gas prices always seeming to drop around election time.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Not really just seems that way. Pretty much whoever has power in the last two years of Congress plays games with us.

If their party is in power then they will pass legislation to ensure that the economy remains strong. This helps ensure that their candidate has a better chance of winning.

If their party is not in power they will try for gridlock and pass limited legislation to help their candidates chances of winning.

Remember the President usually gets the blame or praise for the economy, not Congress.

top topics

join