It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Picture of a Rainbow Cloud

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Its not a sundog, halo or rainbow......or weather modification

Its actually called iridescence or irisation. It occurs when cloud droplets of the same size diffract sunlight, producing the rainbow colours seen in the cloud. Its a well known phenomena in the meteorological world and is not that rare an occurence

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

From the same website, looks like a sundog to me, OZ, but perhaps it's a matter of degrees
www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus

From the same website, looks like a sundog to me, OZ, but perhaps it's a matter of degrees
www.atoptics.co.uk...

Its a good point argentus, but its hard to say which it is for sure. I have already spoken to the Op and its difficult to see the type of cloud that the colour is embedded in.

Sundogs only happen in high level clouds such as cirrus, and iridescence mainly happens in mid level clouds such as altocumulus. The problem is, both cirrus and altocumulus are in the Ops picture. In my opinion it appears as though the clours are in the altocumulus, not the cirrus....hence my reasoning for calling it iridescence. Although if we could somehow get a closer look, I would be willing to change my observation

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wtfisthat
i bet it was photoshopped.

nice picture though, ive never seen a rainbow like that before.

Nope. I thought about tinting the color to make it appear more like it was when I saw it in real life, but that' s how it came off the camera.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
While I am not a weather nerd--I defer to Ozzy here--I want to reiterate:

This is not a sun dog.

The sun is not behind the bright spot. and it was not part of a bigger ring.

The sun was not even in the picture--it was so far to the left that I coudln't get it into the picture.

Also I'm very dubious that there were any ice crystals because it was a hot day and although I don't know the name of what kind of clouds these were, the ones that were reflecting were very low

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
If HAARP had the power, which it does not, it would create Aurora's not the normal phenomena in this photo. To even create a visible Aurora would take more power than is available in the State of Alaska.

Interesting how little people commenting actually know about the topic?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Source in Wiki.
When the sun is low, the two sundogs are located on the circle of the 22° halo. As the sun rises, the sundogs slowly move along the parhelic circle away from the sun, finally to vanish as the sun reaches 61° over the horizon

We see them often here. Even occasionally with the sundogs mirrored on the opposite side of the sky.

They do get fairly far away from the sun as it rises.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by xbranscombex
It's HARP

www.youtube.com...

If only it wasn't something so evil making the clouds look so pretty

you can say that again

what's in the sky behind our 4th reich friend?

-image of one of the many panels of the massive wall mural present after the opening of the Denver international Airport., but taken down because of customer complaints..

(you know.. the one with the masonic cornerstone saying see you all in 2094, where contractors reported of working thousands of feet below the surface.. where the actual city limits of denver were stretched to stretch to it, where its budget, like Boston's Big Dig, went "oops" billions over budget...the one where the runways shaped like a swastika if you look at it via google earth)..

yea that one..

fun fun fun

-

[edit on 11-9-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Maybe so prevenge... but eew, your avatar makes me cringe... I'm terrified of catapillars!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

(you know.. the one with the masonic cornerstone saying see you all in 2094, where contractors reported of working thousands of feet below the surface.. where the actual city limits of denver were stretched to stretch to it, where its budget, like Boston's Big Dig, went "oops" billions over budget...the one where the runways shaped like a swastika if you look at it via google earth)..

[edit on 11-9-2008 by prevenge]

Kinda off topic but I find it really freaky that the airport's 4 runways are in the shape of a swastika, i'll have to do some reading about that, very interesting...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Nice pic, don't know what it is though. When I saw the subject of this thread I thought I'd see a picture of a fire rainbow, but this doesn't look like it.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I saw a similar coloration in the sky here in Orange County about 20 minutes before the earthquake in the LA area. I couldn't find my camera in time to get a picture of it though.

Did anyone notice on the storm trackers that Ike changed direction a little bit around the time that the first photo in this tread was taken? It was originally scheduled to move a bit more inland from there, then it suddenly changed. Must have been when HAARP was activated to save Bush's home state like with Katrina.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
While I am not a weather nerd--I defer to Ozzy here--I want to reiterate:

This is not a sun dog.

The sun is not behind the bright spot. and it was not part of a bigger ring.

No, it is a sundog (Oz is wrong
)

Sundogs occur either side of the sun (though usually we only see one).

Here are some more:

Also I'm very dubious that there were any ice crystals because it was a hot day and although I don't know the name of what kind of clouds these were, the ones that were reflecting were very low

Whatever the temperature on the ground, a few thousand feet above your head it's always below freezing.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Whatever the temperature on the ground, a few thousand feet above your head it's always below freezing.

I wish i knew more about clouds so I could say what kind these were, but I don't--they looked somewhat lower than that but I didn't have a measuring tape

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Cna someone explain the pic I posted? It's different than the others being discussed. It more looks like the clouds in the pre-Chinese earthquake videos. Can someone explain those clouds please?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Universal Light

Sorry UL, missed that. It may well be another sundog but difficult to tell without seeing a wider angle view.

Given the right circumstances, sundogs do display a sequence of 'rainbow' colours - because, like rainbows, they're due to refraction of sunlight (through ice crystals rather than raindrops)

I agree though, it does appear similar to so-called 'earthquake clouds' (which have been reported, btw, for thousands of years though I personally still think it's just coincidence)

I'd really like to see a picture showing the wider context though.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Thanks, but unfortuantely I took it with my camera phone. Wish I had a better one. The big difference in this picture to the others is that the entire cloud is rainbow oriented and not just a portion of it.

The clouds before the earthquake in the video could in fact be coincendental but even if they were, what kind of explanation is out there to identify what they could scientifically be?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Funny thing, I saw one of those yesterday as well.

That's not implying it's connected or anything, since I'm in northern europe. Just quite a co-incidence, since I'm pretty sure I've only seen couple of those in my life.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I see what you're saying, OZ, and most of all appreciate the way you said it. I'm now leaning more toward your analysis of the phenomenon.. as it does appear to be more in the altocumulous clouds. [edit because of a temporary brain phart, typing cirrus, rather than altocumulous]

Thanks for sharing your insights. Goodonya

[edit on 12-9-2008 by argentus]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'm glad I found this thread. I saw a left side Sun Dog a month ago in my area. The colors were white, yellow, orange and red. The sun was setting in the west at the time. I can't remember ever seeing these things in my earlier years.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join