It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of OPEC?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Okay, I'm confused... Some of you think the price of oil will skyrocket while others say it will plummet! Who's right?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Oh and don't forget this little nugget : It is now more cost efficient to "mine" old buried waste dumps for plastics and metals than producing them from raw materials.....hmmmm.

Makes that floatilla of plastic garbage out in the middle of the Pacific seem like a gold mine..........

www.mindfully.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Funny thing, the price of gas just popped up tuesday 10 cents and another nickle the day after for a 15 cent jump at the pump in three days.

Some ones playing with us............

I take that back, I just filled up my pontiac montana van and gas jumped to $3.83.9. Thats 30 cents since this last tuesday. The station guy said its going up even more.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Peepers]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'm fully aware of a war against OPEC that is spooling up. This news item is only a splinter from a 8 x 8 of what is about to happen. There will be 2 opposing oil cartels.

Who's going to hurt most? The middle east of course. They are spending their profits wildly and are not thinking about sustainability. It's going to bite them in the ass hard. It might as well be 1925 in the Middle east, pre oil.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
I'm fully aware of a war against OPEC that is spooling up. This news item is only a splinter from a 8 x 8 of what is about to happen. There will be 2 opposing oil cartels.

Who's going to hurt most? The middle east of course. They are spending their profits wildly and are not thinking about sustainability. It's going to bite them in the ass hard. It might as well be 1925 in the Middle east, pre oil.

Is this before or after they cash in on the various investments and Treasury debt from the world?

I think OPEC if it was to be dissolved in any particular way will break into poltiical influnce blocs which will probably set the conditions for WW3 or some major war over resources, which will be dabbed some other pathetic excuse for war.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Peepers

It might partly be due to OPEC, and honestly I would be glad to see the cartel broken up. The more competition the better, as basic economics would dictate that the greater the competition, the lower the price.

However I think the recent surge in prices is due to Ike, which is one of the biggest hurricanes ever recorded and threatening pretty much the entirety of the Gulf economy.

The approaching storm caused gasoline prices to surge on concerns that the storm could damage Texas refineries, or at the least halt production for several days.

But along the Gulf Coast, wholesale prices - what refineries charge retailers, who then mark up prices at the pump - rose to nearly $5 a gallon, up from $3 to $3.30 a gallon on Wednesday, according to Tom Kloza, publisher of the Oil Price Information Service.

Ike could devestate Gulf coast economy

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Just read on CNN Business that oil fell down to 99.99 for the first time in 5 months before rebounding to 101.18$. I wonder how long the price will hover around 100 before dropping below 100 for good. Here is the link if anyone wants to know more.Oil prices fall below 100 before going back up

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Well, this certainly is interesting news... What it means, however, I can't help but think "bad" for us. I see afoot everywhere moves to enslave us (further), control us, beat us to our knees - and it just seems there must be an angle that will bend right into one of these ugly goals of the Elite.

Likely gas will go up, but I do feel that something in the alt energy will come along to cause the oil market to go bust.

Personally I hope it is "Free Energy." (I'm terrible with names, but that Brit who hacked into the US systems... He claims we have it already.) Sadly, we will not see Free Energy unless we get cracking with many successes, as the Elite will not let us have it willingly - because once we have it, money becomes (in the long run) moot and the Elite won't "own" us anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
If it leads to cheaper fuel, it can't be a bad thing either way.

If you want cheaper fuel, how about leaving Iraq? And why is the dollar so low you think? May it have something to do with mr Bush perhaps?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Thank god we have free energy communities filled with people doing all kind of promising research to free the world from this oil addiction. Ironically they are laughed at by the same people that are complaining. So what does this tell you?

[edit on 12-9-2008 by broli]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well, I think this all started with the rising cost of oil. The fat cats of the oil companies kept pushing and nudging. Even with Hurricane Ike they have found a reason to raise prices. Chavez's action against the oil companies is another reason for them to raise the price. The list of reasons that the price of oil skyrocketed is never ending and it smacks of corporate greed.

Well, I think they have finally screwed themselves. With the price hitting $4 + earlier this year, all other fuel sources are now viable and I think the people have finally had enough of the oil companies. The best way to hurt them is to take away their money.

I am all for electric battery, air, natural gas, fuel cells, bio diesel, solar, underwater turbines........etc. Screw the oil companies and the oil cartels. Its high time to power the world with something else.

Thumbs up for SA walking away from OPEC (if they really do). Burn up your oil supply so we can make the switch in my lifetime.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
anybody see "Red Dawn"?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Did the Saudis actually walk out on OPEC as in quit being a member of the cartel?

Or did they just walk out on a meeting because Chavez couldn't shut up?

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Personally I see the Americans who are crying over the oil prices as spoiled and unwilling to reduce their use of fossil fuels. Here you drive around in huge V8 SUVs and you are complaining about an oil price at about $4 a gallon. That's four dollars per 3.8 liters of gas. That's only half of what gas and diesel costs here in Norway. Start complaining when it hits $10 a gallon and we can talk. Somehow we don't complain that much even though our gas prices are the double of US prices. We just drive smaller cars. My parents' car use about a third of a liter per 10 km. While a Hummer would plummet at two to four liters per 10 km. It's your choice...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The US has tons of oil and gas, but where is it all going? Also why the hell are we exporting when we clearly need that extra 1.048 million?

... according to the CIA world fact book:

Oil - production:
8.322 million bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - consumption:
20.8 million bbl/day (2005 est.)
Oil - exports:
1.048 million bbl/day (2004)
Oil - imports:
13.15 million bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves:
21.76 billion bbl (1 January 2006 est.)
Natural gas - production:
490.8 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - consumption:
604 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - exports:
19.8 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - imports:
117.9 billion cu m (2005)
Natural gas - proved reserves:
5.551 trillion cu m (1 January 2006 est.)

Compared to the Saudi's

Oil - production:
11 million bbl/day (2007 est.)
Oil - consumption:
2 million bbl/day (2005)
Oil - exports:
8.9 million bbl/day (2007 est.)
Oil - imports:
0 bbl/day (2004)
Oil - proved reserves:
264.3 billion bbl (2007 est.)
Natural gas - production:
68.32 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - consumption:
68.32 billion cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - exports:
0 cu m (2005 est.)
Natural gas - imports:
0 cu m (2005)
Natural gas - proved reserves:
6.568 trillion cu m (1 January 2006 est.)

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Saudi Arabai has come to realize that this scheme of economic terrorism, of which oil is being used as the weapon, does not serve Saudi's interests if it ends up bringing down the US economy.

Saudi Arabia has alot invested here in America and is holding lots of our currency and bonds as well. If the US economy fails, the world's economies are impacted since the world's economies and stock markets are now so interconnected.

Too bad there are too many of the world's leaders out there who either didn't take Economics 101 or failed the class to realize this. Chavez and company needs to stop the wining fits of rage and work toward a resolution that is good for an efficient system of world trade.

He has helped his people in ways though terrorize them as well with his aggressive dictatorial stance at home and toward his 'perceived' enemies.

I truely believe he really doesn't understand the true forces at work behind all the conspiracies. He doesn't seem to realize how this matrix system is structured. The true beasts hide in the background and conduct divide and conquer campaigns to distort the truth and to further their NWO agenda. The international banksters will be found to be the ones in charge here behind the scenes. See my links below where my signature is for a more wholistic view.

Cooperation is needed for world peace not a bunch of power hungry children walking around with their fists in the air threatening to beat each other up. Grow up children and negotiate for a better world. Stop stroking your egos or you may find yourself in an early grave whether its from your 'perceived' enemies or your own countrymen.

Never blame a country or its people. Digg for the truth as to who is actually committing crimes against humanity.

No one likes one who acts like tyrant. When Chavez nationalized private industries, he caused those invested in various industries to lose fortunes while at the same time he made dangerous enemies and put down the democratic process of which is the only fair and just way to do business.

The world is getting wise to the ways of tyrants and is no longer an 'accepted' mode of govt.

Chavez obviously hates the Bush administration for his own reasons though he needs to more accurately explain what he has experienced and provide proof for his claims.

Another thing that disturbs me is how he is using his oil funds to buy influence in neighboring countries. Some officials in the US govt. are guilty of doing the same thing though why use the same tactics as that of a 'percieved' foe to achieve the same agenda?

When you buy influence, it is only temporary till the next country offers the same means to buy influence. Its an ugly way to do business.

I wish there would be more open international debate on the issues so the worlds leaders could debate each other in person for the world to bear witness. That would do alot to increase public awareness, understanding and expose what is going on behind the scenes so the world can judge for themselves.

Why is this not done? Are world leaders afraid of being exposed for their own misdeeds and conduct? I believe so.

World leaders should publicly challenge one another to partake in an open debate for the world to witness. This would 'keep em honest' as to how they plan their next moves. There is too much secrecy among the worlds leaders. Secrecy breeds distrust and mass paranoia among the worlds peoples as well as leaders.

The 'people' of the world shouldn't have to suffer for the mistakes/agendas of their leaders.

[edit on 9/13/2008 by oceanaut1]

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
well, if OPEC dissolves, i'm pretty sure it was a caculated, precise plan from the beginning. i don't think the-powers-that-be are just gonna wanna make less money all of a sudden - they don't make mistakes, as they have back-up plans and whatnot for every single plot/scheme they carry out. wouldn't you have back-up plans B, C, D, E, et cetera, if you were taking on such an "important" task as controlling human life in some twisted form or another? what are they really trying to accomplish here? what's the real agenda?? you don't think they'll just create a new organization that's bigger and badder?

it's time we stop using fossil fuels altogether for transportation - our planet can't take it anymore! there's free energy to be harnessed that will SURELY advance the human race into something marvelous! Tesla knew it...

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Great news from our Gulf friends. As for the walking out, it seems that is an usual occurrence, every time the CARTOON from Venezuela is in the room.

Along with Saudi Arabia other Gulf States, Kuwait, UAE and Qatar, have also guaranteed that there will be no oil shortage, at least for the west.

This news alone proves that the Middle Easter policies of the Bush Administration where right, all along...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

correct

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join