It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alternative choices for VP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
With all the grumbling that has been going on about each candidates choice for Vice President, I thought it prudent to start a thread so members could voice their opinions on who they think should have been the choice of both Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain. Many people have come out stating each choice was not in the best interest of the party, the person, and the country, so let's hear it...who do you think they should have chosen?

I'll get it started.

Democratic Choice. If it were me, I would have chosen Hillary Clinton. Firstly, she was widely popular with a great deal of Democrats, and a great deal of undecided people. Her showing in the Democratic race proved this, and people are still talking about her. She has a proven record in politics, and would have been a great choice.

Republican Choice. I would have chosen Tim Pawlenty. This choice would have satisfied the "young choice" criteria that I believe went a long way towards why Palin was chosen. He also would have helped win a few key battle states due to his appeal as a "blue collar" kind of guy. Working middle class people seem to like him. He's also an Evangelical, which is a group that McCain struggles with due to some of his policies and political stances.

So, your thoughts?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Agree with the Hillary.

But for Republican?

RON PAUL!

We know McCain won't last. He might even die before election day due to stress. Ron Paul as his running mate though... Gah, knowing Ron Paul would be president as McCain won't last, I might be swayed to vote for McCain/Paul.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
On the Dem side, I agree with you. Hillary was obviously the best choice and would have likely brought back most of that 15-20% of her supporters who seem set on holding out against Obama. She would have also helped pull in moderates, since the general public seems to view her as a moderate politician like Bill was.

For the Republicans? I think McCain made his best choice. Sarah Palin is a good, strong conservative across the board and as such has given the Republican base a reason to vote FOR that ticket instead of just voting against Obama. She has energized the base to a level rarely seen and the massive uptick in voter enthusiasm is not something to take lightly. I believe that it is also helping to draw in a lot of right-leaning independents and a few conservative Dems for the same reason. She has given those sitting on the fence a real incentive to vote for the McCain campaign and it has been the driving force behind his surge into the lead as of late.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Krieger

I had heard Ron Paul rejected this notion before it ever even came to this. I suspect he was right when he said they wouldn't be asking him...,

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I know, and it sucks. To have someone like him running for office... The wet dream of millions. But he's honest, and not a Neocon, so is shunned by the GOP. Which may be a good thing. If they hate him it just means more people will like him because, unlike McCain, he doesn't vote with Bush 95% of the time.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Though of mild interest, this thread is going nowhere.

In the spirit of the new political thread guidelines, I'm closing it.

Thanks for your participation.

-Badge01
Forum Moderator

top topics

join