It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call To Action: Ending The Political Game on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

This is exactly what I consider to be political baiting. It has no basis at all.

Bush wasn't criticized for what he wore, or how patriotic he is, or whether when he scratched his face it looked like the middle finger.

If you want to criticize Obama on policy, I don't think anyone here would have a problem with that RR - and that's what most people who critique Bush are talking about. Bush gets criticized about poor policy: No child left behind, the Iraq war, the War on Terror, the Economy, corporate bail outs, etc.

Meanwhile, Obama has at least 5 active threads going on at all times on ATS criticizing him on things having nothing to do with policy - like his race, his lack of lapel, his hand gestures during speeches.

There's a big difference.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Does anyone see how biased this is?

Biased toward truth?

Biased toward honesty?

Biased toward real examination of real issues?

Biased against divisive politics?

Biased against the spreading of lies?

I'm all for that kind of bias.

For over 7 years President Bush has been bashed endlessly here on ATS.

We are, at our core, a conspiracy theory website. Our (conspiracy theorists) nature is the be critical of whatever administration sits in the White House.

Then here comes Barack Hussein Obama, and all of a sudden we have to make major changes.

You demonstrate the problem nicely. What point does it serve to state the middle name of only one candidate?

Who are we protecting here?

All candidates.

I will do my best to abide by the new rules, but I can't help but see the hipocracy.

If you're unable to temper your knee-jerk divisive political rhetoric, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of other site that will gladly embrace your narrowness.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I'm in.

Is Bully Pulpit still active?

New Threads About Any Candidate for the 2008 U.S. elections (national or regional) must be started in the Decision 2008 forum.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

RR... its not you and its not me... we are both individuals with strong (and often diametrically opposed) opinions... that is not the issue... it is apparently paid operatives from at least the RNC but probably some from the DNC as well repeatedly posting nothing but smear threads with no substance or value other than to confuse or obstruct.

THAT is the issue...btw bush minor has had plenty of defenders here.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic
Is Bully Pulpit still active?

Yes.

That is still intended for the best of political discussion, and we may tolerate well-intended analysis and conspiracy-minded investigations of popularized disruptive political innuendo in that forum.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I am all for it.

I sport two warns because i was stupid and fell for some of the horrors here lately.

BUT i wear them with pride and a reminder that things can get ugly here if you allow them to.

Good job

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Sir,

While not wanting to incite or inflame matters much further. I believe it would be a generous public service if ATS were to announce in the manner of a press-release or the like, the information you ave compiled.

It is shameful that political organizations and 'movements' adopt tools of propaganda and marketeering to disrupt or otherwise confound those who's stated agenda is the denial of ignorance, or the pursuit of political truth.

I for one would have selected such an article for the creation of a thread within our community.

It rises to the level of revealing the nature of those in closest control of the political environment. It is this offensive practice that diminishes the value of the political system we have in place today. Were we so inclined, I would say we might even have the makings of a class-action civil suit. Not only did you, and almost all members of our community NOT invite this kind of content, we specifically rejected it. More than one effort from the membership layer tried to organize a cohesive response to its presences, and you, the management have explicitly directed the implementation of policy to remove it from our midst.

Now it would seem, that even after that effort became highlighted, the perpetrators have systematically engaged in corrupting the exchange of ideas in our 'community.' (I know this is 'your property' and as such this is your domain to control and regulate, but you have also been kind enough to allow us, the common users to accept a sense of ownership.)

I would consider this action carefully, as the perpetrators have engaged in what can very reasonably be called 'an attack' on the fabric of our little chunk of cyberspace, by boldly ignoring and corrupting the entire purpose
of the 'gathering of minds'.

While these perpetrators are no doubt aware of their 'outed' status, they are nevertheless facing no consequences for their actions, which they will feebly try to defend as 'free speech' no doubt. If it were within my rights to do so, I would offer to take the case myself.

We all share water from the same well, and they are blithely poisoning it.

Perhaps a revealing press release will offer enough potential embarrassment to the perpetrators to keep them from ever thinking they can get away with this again. At least it will let others know that ATS is no den of victims, waiting to be exploited.

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
THANK YOU ATS!!!

I have been losing hope for weeks.

I don't dare open any threads that have any political content because of partisan propaganda crap.

Please, please, PLEASE tell me this rule also covers those ridiculous childish partisan nicknames.

If I hear one more person say "McPain, McInsane, Osama, or Hitlery", I'm going to hurt someone.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by ben420]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm glad that finally something is being done about this situation. The amount of threads attacking candidates based on lies, propaganda, and half truths was starting to get ridiculous.

Hopefully this will return some civility back to the board and we can start talking about things that are actually important.

Good job SO. And Thank you.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
BRAVO for ATS
I about time that we regain the control of this site.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
*pokes head out of bunker*

It's stopping? It's really over?

GREAT CATCH GUYS!!!!

I knew something seemed a little off kilter!

Man, I love this site!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Yes, very good way of looking at a warn. Sometimes a person just loses their cool when reading racism and bigotry spew forth post after post, topic after topic.

Gah, and they finally locked the "Obama called Palin a pig!" even though several members posted the WHOLE speech and it was clear he was attacking McCain's "change" plan. It was like a lie that wouldn't die, until the Mods here locked it.

Also, if I could, I posted in the topic about the bullypulpit about joining. From what BH has told me the type of topics seen in Decision 08 are not seen and the kind of filth spewed is not allowed. I would love to be able to discuss the topics in there knowing if someone used the N word or other racist evilness they would be thrown out, and not I for screaming at them for using such a vile term.

And yes, I am an African American so yes I have and will get more upset over such words then others and I understand I can't lose my cool as I will be warned like anyone else will be warned.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

We are, at our core, a conspiracy theory website. Our (conspiracy theorists) nature is the be critical of whatever administration sits in the White House.

We're allowed to be critical of Bush, but not the candidates? I'm not following.

You demonstrate the problem nicely. What point does it serve to state the middle name of only one candidate?

Well, you demonstrate another problem. The idea that there is something wrong with saying someones middle name. Are you claiming that the middle names of candidates and presidents haven't been often used? There is ample evidence that using their middle names is quite common. I certainly don't remember any problems with calling Bush "Dubya".

If you're unable to temper your knee-jerk divisive political rhetoric, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of other site that will gladly embrace your narrowness.

Most people in these forums are probably scared to tell you this, but you have often displayed the kind of "knee-jerk divisiveness" that you claim to be against. Comments like this really make me wonder what your ultimate goal is here. To get rid of anyone who doesn't agree with you? At this point, you've convinced every left leaning person on this site that there are "undercover" Republicans here to trick them. Thus making anyone with that point of view a suspect.

Again, I'm not against getting rid of the lies and pointless flaming. What I see happening here is much more like the targeting of a certain point of view.

Frankly I find his so called "narrowness", to be exactly the kind of thing this forum was created for. I beleive I've been a good contributor to this site over the years and its very sad to see it going this way.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Awesome. Simply awesome.

I know that there are those who are here to spread confusion, and not just about the election (witness the threads that suggest organic food is bad, or that fluoride compounds (toxic industrial waste) is not an issue in our water supplies), so this step is one that is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you so much.

link   
This is wisdom, too many times the morons out there have been drumming up total bs threads just because they disagree with the Reps or Dems.
Now at least the threads can take a more adult nature with decent debates and arguments and so forth being the case

link   
Thanks SO!

I agree with Maxamars that the manipulation of public discourse by professional provocateurs to influence a national election is a topic to be shouted far and wide. The public at large needs to know that their emotions are being manipulated. Beware, the silent weapon is in use.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Incredible already in action threads has been closed left and right

I am so happy that ATS can go back to normal again.
or at least some kind of normalcy for a conspiracy board.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Thank you, SO and staff. I look forward to some great, educational reading and posting!

Originally posted by RRconservative
For over 7 years President Bush has been bashed endlessly here on ATS.

I just want to answer this.
RRconservative, I look forward to having some real good debates with you and others! I have seen some real thought-provoking and interesting stuff from all posters here, including you, so I know you have the ability to have civil and intelligent discourse.

Once this election is over and the emotion and stress of "getting votes" is gone, who knows? We just might be able to agree on a little "bashing" of whomever happens to be moved into the White House.

The only thing these rules are biased against is ignorance. (If you look at the posts of some of the people with lots of warnings, you'll see it isn't biased to one party or another.)
Hang in there. Please. You've got some good stuff to give.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek

Well, you demonstrate another problem. The idea that there is something wrong with saying someones middle name. Are you claiming that the middle names of candidates and presidents haven't been often used? There is ample evidence that using their middle names is quite common.

I can count on one hand the number of posts I've seen where posters refer to John Sidney McCain, Sarah Louise Palin, and Joseph Robinette Biden.

And yet Obama's middle name is banded about constantly. Why? Because its intended to play on a smear. Its association by design. Plain and simple. No other reason for it. Everyone else gets first and last name useage only. Its smear/fear politics.

Thats not gonna happen here any more.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dronetek

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

SO said narrow, and that's precisely what it is. People are constantly saying we're protecting Obama, or we're protecting McCain...and I guess to a certain extent we are...but only from baseless slander and provocative language used only to get intemperate responses from other members.

As for the constant criticism of President Bush...hey, he won the election and gets to enjoy the fruits of the win...and the criticism that goes along with it. That's part of our responsibility as citizens. To call our elected officials to task as neccessary.

You, as a conservative type, wouldn't hesitate to complain about a Dem in the Oval office. Why, pray, should a liberal type, not be allowed the same privilege if a Rep. is in office? Me, as a more middle of the road type, gets to lambaste everybody. As long as the criticism is warrented, and sourced have at it.

Inuendo, and flat out falsehoods are the target, not legitamate discussion.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join