It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call To Action: Ending The Political Game on ATS

page: 1A
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is a call to all who are now or were once concerned with the state of political affairs in the United States. Take a stand with us, here, and now.

We have been beset by packs of provocateurs...

Speculation continues to run extremely high that political operatives from at least one party are directly responsible for the divisive political rhetoric inspired by fact-poor innuendo that has infected ATS and the Internet as a whole. Given what we here know of those involved, we can only assume that provocateurs from all sides of the spectrum are here on our beloved ATS with a plan to disrupt productive discussions.

Countless threads from countless authors have lamented the evolution of the political playing field in the United States. It has become a vile field, the result of a vicious game of divide the populace into two ideologically defined "camps." The players of this game then inject pointless topics into the cultural landscape to ensure that both sides are so busy discussing how much they hate the other, that no real important issue ever sees the light of day.

Here. Now. Today. This hour. On AboveTopSecret.com, we no longer allow this game. To deny this game, is to deny ignorance.

Divisive politics void of issues is not new...

Over the years, and recently, we've initiated several well-intended programs in an effort to manage and improve the landscape of political discourse. Our forums are well populated with examples of excellent topics and discussions that show not just hope, but brilliance. But every four years, The Quadrennial Exploitation Of The Moronic Masses rears its ugly head, and we who care, we who look beyond the game, we who search for real answers, are set upon by the provocateurs of disruption.

Here. Now. Today. This hour. On AboveTopSecret.com, we no longer allow these provocateurs a voice. To deny them, is to deny the fostering of ignorance.

Together, we can regain control, here, now...

Rise up. Clench your fist. Raise your voice. And join us in saying, "No! Not here. Not in this place. Not on our board." Come together, and take a stand with us.

In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will not tolerate new topics based on divisive and distracting innuendo, rumors, or lies.

In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will not tolerate the posting of rhetoric and blame-game ideology that deflects attention from important discussion.

In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will examine the merits of the issues. We will analyze the candidate platforms. We will know truth.

In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will not suffer the madness.

In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will seek to make a difference. If not us, then who? If not now, then when?

New standards on AboveTopSecret.com for politics...

Join me, the owners, the staff, and members of AboveTopSecret.com in demanding the following until the end of this election cycle:

New threads in the Campaign 2008 forum must be based on published candidate platform items, either officially, or from recent interviews.

No new thread, in any ATS forum, shall be based on silly school-yard innuendo idiocy such as who had the baby, or what lipstick means.

No member will display incendiary avatars or signatures that have been designed to cast political aspersions.

Members who initiate new threads which are scholarly examinations of an aspect of a candidates platform shall be rewarded with 10,000 points, and we will help that member dissect, analyze, and understand all possible aspects and ramifications of the platform item in a completely neutral way that seeks the best solution, not a political solution.

No divisive rhetoric that focuses on the "other side" of the political spectrum will be tolerated. Ignorance thrives on blame. Ignorance is fueled by hate. We deny it.

Clearly-defiend new rules for political discussion...

New Threads About Any Candidate for the 2008 U.S. elections (national or regional) must be started in the Decision 2008 forum.

New Political News Threads intended for the Breaking Political News forum cannot be based on blogs, YouTube videos, or any other content considered "user-generated" from any source.

No Innuendo or Rumor Threads regarding the candidates for the 2008 election will be allowed from this point forward in any of the ATS forums.

New Political Threads Must Be Fact-Based and initiated with an examination, analysis, or sober coverage of a candidate's or party's stated platform issue, either via official platform statements or recent interviews.

Exceptional New Threads that provide a scholarly examination of a candidate's platform position will result in a 10,000 point reward to the thread author.

Critical Discussion of Political Ideology is encouraged and embraced within the context of the above new standards for new topics, and within the guidelines established in the Ending The Political Trolling On AboveTopSecret.com thread.

No Politically Taunting/Incindiary Avatars/Signatures: Members have 72 hours to revise the content of any avatars and signatures that would be considered in conflict with the spirit of these new guidelines.

Examination of Popularized Rumor and Innuendo: Many of these topics that become popular within the mainstream media deserve critical analysis devoid of divisive rhetoric. Discussion of these topics that become popular and occupy significant media attention will be encouraged within the limited-access Bully Pulpit forum for the purposes of understanding the truth behind the claims.

Removal Without Warning: Beginning immediately, any new topics in the political forums not conforming to these new (hopefully temporary) standards will be removed from public display without any warning to the thread author. Multiple attempts, by the same member, to initiate topics not in line with these guidelines will result in account termination.

Deny this ignorance before it is too late...

Here. Now. Today. This hour. On AboveTopSecret.com, we no longer allow this game. To deny this game, is to deny ignorance. To deny ignorance is to play a role in real and meaningful change.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Awesome. I've spent too many hours doing this :bnghd: while reading political threads here. I hope tightening down a bit helps keep discussion on the more intelligent side.

You know, ATS could adopt a no mudslinging policy. It may be difficult to lay down the guidelines of what is mudslinging and what isn't, but I think it is doable.

Either way, I am pleased to see this action taken.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Ya know what I don't understand is why would it be worth the effort (and cost) of either party to flood ATS with these type of threads... its not like there are many undecideds here... most everyone, myself included already has strong opinions and is unlikely to be swayed by these absurd attacks.

Must be nice pay though.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here Here!!!

I join the members in this call to arms.

Let us set the example, here & now..

Rise above the fray.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Works for me!!

More substance and less spin is always a good thing.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Nice one, i'm not really a political follower perse but the topics i have read recently (as in the past months) where more than not degraded into a 'Your presidential candidate is dumber than mine' discussion. This sort of zero tolerance on this board should take care of a few mindless antagonists. Good luck with cleaning and don't forget to empty the trashbin when your done before it stinks up the room

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

No member will display incendiary avatars or signatures that have been designed to cast political aspersions.

Is mine going to far? I'll change it if it is.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Bill I forget, did we decide to close the existing threads that don't meet these criteria or not?

edit: BTW typo here

Clearly-defiend new rules

[edit on 9/11/2008 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm with you 100%

We will not let our beloved home here at ATS turn into another staging ground for partisanship, political poo flinging and other such nonsense.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

SO, just when I thought I was out you pull me back in.
I had given up the Election forums just a couple of days ago.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It is now safe to get back inthe proverbial water.

Hallelujah!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Amen...
Its been kinda hard to find the facts in the 08 board lately...
Thanks for doing this its about time they were made to stop...

oh yeah theres no problem with my avatar is there it is kinda political.

Deny Ignorance brother.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
In this place, AboveTopSecret.com, we will not tolerate new topics based on divisive and distracting innuendo, rumors, or lies.

Well great. Then can someone please edit the title to the following thread, because it is spreading false information, and right now it has been flagged to the near top of the homepage:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been whining about this and sent in a comp/sugg. Sorry to complain, but false info rubs my moniker the very wrong way.

Btw, the correct information regarding the issue is here, for anyone interested:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have been trying to get members to flag it, because it is the correct information.

But overall I appreciate your aggressiveness to do something about the rogue politics. But we knew that was bound to be with the move to bring AP back here.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Does anyone see how biased this is?

For over 7 years President Bush has been bashed endlessly here on ATS.

Then here comes Barack Hussein Obama, and all of a sudden we have to make major changes.

Who are we protecting here?

I will do my best to abide by the new rules, but I can't help but see the hipocracy.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
If only our country could do this and quit the red state blue state BS. It definitely separates this country and I'm tired of all the attacks and false accusations the candidates get. It seems kind of extreme to me SO but it's your website. I'm almost afraid to say anything about the election here. My " First Amendment Rights " say I should voice my opinions, especially about people who will be our Commander & Chief. So I'll try my best to watch what I say or say nothing at all here.

I know what you are saying, but to silence even the ignorant violates the constitution. But I also know what you say has consequences and those are here at ATS. I hope people will discuss the issues and problems of this election for both sides, but it's hard to not to say things about the candidates that the media can do freely and without consequences.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I love to hear it and would apreciate reading it!! I agree with the 2nd poster... I have felt like banging my head numerous times while reading threads and posts that wouldn't even belong in a schoolyard, neverless anywhere in the adult world.

Bring it on, and I also agree with what someone wrote about mudslinging.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
WOOHOO!!

We will finally get to the issues....

Originally posted by RRconservative
Does anyone see how biased this is?

For over 7 years President Bush has been bashed endlessly here on ATS.

Then here comes Barack Hussein Obama, and all of a sudden we have to make major changes.

Who are we protecting here?

I will do my best to abide by the new rules, but I can't help but see the hipocracy.

Why so afraid to vote on the merit of the issues?

BTW

I didn't see anything about not bashing the new Pres...

[edit on 11-9-2008 by ATruGod]

link   
reply to post by RRconservative

So continuing the bs is a better idea, and clearly the staff are Obama fans.

Get over yourself, the political rhetoric went too far and it needs to end.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by eNumbra]

link   
I have a question to ask...

How come a Neocon can say and do anything they want? Main point...

In a topic, a Neocon called Obama a muk muk and a secret towelhead. Nothing done.

A couple posts later I post "Dude, that is racism beyond racism." Or something similar.

Who gets the post removed for political trolling and being off topic? Not the Neocon who called Obama a muk muk and secret towelhead. Two very blatant racist words. In fact they still don't have any warnings after several posts and topics that are pure lies and racism. I read the rules and I'm pretty sure outright racism is supposed to be frowned upon. Hell I may be slapped with a ban for even using those words. But a Neocon uses them, I scream about how racist it is, and I get the post removed and a nastygram about attacking members on here.

BTW, not sure that was the post that got me the warnings, just the nastygram about attacking members and post removed for political trolling or being off topic.

Edit
Also, I know why one of those warnings is there, and I understand I was out of line comparing the Neocons to scum. It was childish and even under the old rules would not and should not be tolerated. But when they start using racist words and saying horrible things about MLK and other strong black leaders I lost my cool. I even got pissed enough to tell a mod I quit. But after a day or so of the stupidity on the MySpace forums I ran back here where at least there is some control and level headedness.
for ATS and the people who run it.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Krieger]

link   

This is good to know. Some of the banter became so off-putting I would just throw my hands up and think no use.

I am looking forward to the new threads.

light and love,
-crystal

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Good
We need to regain control and now!
I thank the AtS staff for taking a firm stand.
Keep up the good work.

Spike

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join