It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call To Action: Ending The Political Game on ATS

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I don't see that many threads that are started when a politician lies and members here want to refute it.

What I see, and what I believe they are trying to solve, is a politician lies or the news media makes up some ridiculous accusation. Then, members on this board take it and run with it. Perpetuating it endlessly until someone puts a stop to it.

They come in groups and pat each other on the back, and will not answer to any reason. Again, there are plenty of threads on ATS that have this exact frame that you can view.

It isn't good for discussion. It isn't good for anything but taking up webspace.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So instead of political discussions you would rather have the interminable "was john titor a hoax" threads and the umpteen gazillion "cerns gonna destroy the world threads"?

You know, I used to lurk here years ago, back when Titor was new, and at that time ATS was always interesting. Now, here I am years later, and all thats left is a shadow of the site I once knew.

And this decision, is a bad idea. It will stifle discussion, inhibit debate, and drive people away. But then, I was obly barely visiting anymore anyway, ad with political discussion now (for all practical intents) off limits, I will be doing so even less.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

My understanding is that the rules support a healthy adult mixing of memes, instead of the zoo monkey poo fling...

Meaning the facts are accepted because this brings about an understanding. The BS is dirty pool and the only ones that like dirty pool are those who benefit from it. Take away the black board and the chalk becomes useless. Are you following me?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

Why are people insulting the website now? Jesus, go cry about it and then come talk.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed
And this decision, is a bad idea. It will stifle discussion, inhibit debate, and drive people away. But then, I was obly barely visiting anymore anyway, ad with political discussion now (for all practical intents) off limits, I will be doing so even less.

The Kernel for one would like to thank you for this proactive stance. May you find greener pastures and potables.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by Shazam The Unbowed

Why are people insulting the website now? Jesus, go cry about it and then come talk.

Im not insulting anything. Just offering my perspective on this decision. Your attitude however is condescending and disrespectful, which is a violation of the T&C.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by Shazam The Unbowed]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
There are many boards here on ATS, and with the tons of forums that already exist, why not just create a new forum called Silly Politics, Politics R Dumb or something to that affect?
Kinda like an "enter at your own risk" slash ATS virtual Fight Club where one can just let loose and vent.

I was thinking the same thing. Create a "Political Slugfest" forum where you don't have to be worried about the ban nanny paying you a visit. Make it an "any thing goes" forum with the exception of personal threats and name calling (well, only the really bad names
). As it stands right now, I feel like I'm in Soviet Russia or North Korea where the PTB have agents in the field ready to kill you if you say anything they don't like. ATS was a great place when we had Freedom Of Speech but that is gone now.

R.I.P. ATS - It was great knowing you....

[edit on 11-9-2008 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

and why does it upset you that people are voicing their opinion.

It does stifle debate and limits what you can talk about.

How many threads can you open on Iraq without rehashing the same ol thing?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

I'm sorry Will, but the post was not directed at you.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidMirage

Honestly, if you can't continue posting here because ATS isn't going to allow mudslinging and the perpetuating of lies... good riddance. I can't speak for the administration of the site or the people, but that's my opinion.

Adios amigo.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

A thread about Iraq isn't mudslinging.

What don't you understand about talking bad about someone with facts, and just throwing mud to do it?

Again, a reminder to everyone:

It's not ATS v Republicans, it's ATS v Mudslingers. If you feel threatened... guess which side of the "v" you are on?

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

reply to post by jam321

A thread about Iraq isn't mudslinging.

What don't you understand about talking bad about someone with facts, and just throwing mud to do it?

Again, a reminder to everyone:

It's not ATS v Republicans, it's ATS v Mudslingers. If you feel threatened... guess which side of the "v" you are on?

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Sublime620]

Thats the exact same thign that was claimed about the fairness docrtine.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

reply to post by LiquidMirage

Honestly, if you can't continue posting here because ATS isn't going to allow mudslinging and the perpetuating of lies... good riddance. I can't speak for the administration of the site or the people, but that's my opinion.

Adios amigo.

Excuse me? I did not say anything to deserve that. Try thinking before you speak! I gave an opinion, nothing else!

"Good Riddance" you say - Apparently the T&C that you claim to uphold isn't so important after all, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

First people are directing their opinions/questions to the mods not you.

Second I didn't ask you if Iraq was mudslinging. I asked

How many threads can you open about the candidates platform on Iraq without rehashing the same ol thing?

What don't you understand about we are trying to express to the mods?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Again.....why not move this crap to PTS....open that forum up and let the politicos take it over. Different board, different everything completely seperate from ATS. The threads wont even show up in the most recent list on ATS.

Then anyone who strays from PTS and tries to post propaganda gets an automatic ban. Problem solved.

Back in the day when the three boards ATS BTS & PTS were seperate and sovereign from one another we never had these problems.

Would it be THAT difficult to bring PTS back? They get their space to fight it out and the ATS board gets to wash it's hands of anything political.

Make sense? Anyone?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage
I was thinking the same thing. Create a "Political Slugfest" forum where you don't have to be worried about the ban nanny paying you a visit. Make it an "any thing goes" forum with the exception of personal threats and name calling (well, only the really bad names
). As it stands right now, I feel like I'm in Soviet Russia or North Korea where the PTB have agents in the field ready to kill you if you say anything they don't like. ATS was a great place when we had Freedom Of Speech but that is gone now.

I completely agree! Sheesh don't link the posts to the main ATS board so it won't be an embarrassment to the site (people can visit that board if they want to see what is new).

I am sure this has been brought up before, but why not just ban the domain that is posting propaganda? It might not stop them (ways around everything) but it will annoy them and slow them down while making it clear it is NOT appreciated on this site.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
So, we can do the following (unless my brain has finally fizzled out):

In the Decision '08 forum, we can post and/or discuss:

*The issues of the candidates (specifically stated by the candidates)
*The positions of the candidates (specifically taken by the candidates)
*The "quotes" of the candidates (specifically written and/or spoken by the candidates)

In the Bully Pulpit, we can post and/or discuss:

*The above 3 topics from the Decision '08 forum
*How those said positions and issues effect us as individuals and Americans
*Character and judgement topics as long as they are "important" and don't devolve into a cyber fist-fight

We can't (in either of the above forums) post and/or discuss:

*Rumors
*Innuendos
*Half Truths
*Third party opinions (on the candidates and/or their issues)
*Info from blogs and/or other questionable sources
*Republican and/or Democratic "talking points"

We CAN debate, discuss, and converse on the issues of these candidates and their character and judgement to a point, but we CAN'T insult, degrade, or mud-sling about rumors, innuendos, half truths, and/or blog entries.

Am I on the right track or have I totally misjudged what this is all about?? This is my take on what I have read on this thread.

And, as for reopening PTS, maybe that's an idea too. It could give the operatives a place to cyber-duke it out and keep all but the "real" discussions off ATS. JMO...

[edit on 9/11/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

ATSers should be happy about this. There are hundreds of political discussion forums in the Internet.

People who come to ATS come here to talk and read about alternative subjects...not those spoon fed and dictated by mass-media-culture. Regular-Reality should be discussed elsewhere. People wishing to do so, should find appropriate websites for that.

ATS is not for everyone. There are millions of sites that cover mainstream reality. Why would we want to cover the same thing everyone else does?

We dont. ATS main target group is people interested in conspiracy-theory, UFOs, Paranormal, secret societies, hidden agendas.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

ATS main target group is people interested in conspiracy-theory, UFOs, Paranormal, secret societies, hidden agendas.

And all those topics can be linked to governments in one way or another, which is another reason why this stuff gets so vicious.

As long as people stop pointing at others and shouting "HERETIC" then we can all have reasonable discussions.

And as long as people (ahem) are blindly partisan, that's not going to happen.

We do need to have standards though......

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Well done SO, youve done it again
Finally I can now begin discussing real issues behind the candidates instead of having to be forced into a situation where I have to defend my candidate and highlight the hypocrisy of the other debater.

As far as I can see it nobody is taking you right away to post anything you feel in this forum, your just being restricted as to where you can post. If you wish to post the "Barack Obama wants to kill all white people" thread or the "McCains too old for the presidency" thread, theres skunkworks and other BTS threads to let your urm* anger out. Otherwise stick to the facts on the political forums.

If you are only here to deny ingnorance and to argue policies and the relevant issues, why fear? Especially when there are other places to post some of these propaganda threads on...

Oh wait I know what the problem is now... the propaganda threads wont get much exposure will it in skunkworks? Oh well too bad
A good environment for all

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join