It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to End Mexican Truck Program (NAFTA)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peepers
reply to post by Annee

The cops now have the scanner technology in handheld form to peek into a home and see everything. A cop told me about it after he was trained to deploy and use the technology. I asked if he can see everything in a house and he said yes, everything. It was unbelievable as he put it.

Thanks Peepers - - needed that

Ya know some skeptic is gonna come on here and say its not possible for them to x-ray everything. But they do.

It's mostly smaller trucks and individual cars - and walk overs that smuggle stuff across.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Some roads do not allow multiple trailers. A truck route designated specifically for transporting good - - could pull several trailers - - reducing cost.

Reducing costs isn't worth the added danger of pulling multiple trailers.

My son occassionally has to pull doubles and and they're harder to control than a regular rig. I'd hate to have to think about him or any other driver having to pull multiples more often because of new roads being built that makes it easier. IMO it's too dangerous for multiple trailers to be on the roads, for everyone that's traveling.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I hope this isn't going too far off subject. Apparently "Roadtrains" (as they are called) are big business in Australia.

Here's a really cool video: mackmuppet.skyrock.com...

--------------------------

I see this truck road as part of the North American Union. It may not happen right now - - but I believe it will happen.

Isn't it interesting that this vote to end the truck program happens right in the middle of the presidential debates.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Most Canadians would like to see NAFTA go also. America isn't innocent in all of this. You hammered us pretty good with a bogus Softwood lumber dispute that shut down entire towns when the mills closed. This happened throughout British Columbia.

NAFTA suits the US when their using it to screw you. When you turn the tables on them they get all pissy and cry fowl.

It cost me an $80000/year job when that happened. So I can relate to the pain this "EVIL PIECE OF PAPER CALLED NAFTA" can do.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by DEEZNUTZ]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Finally, the Senate does something that makes sense.

The concern of the White House Administration over the Senate's decision shows the idiocracy that the Administration has demonstrated over the past 8 years. Fund the biggest Federal government program in the history of the United States by creating the Department of Homeland Security and allow it to spy on Americans through wire taps, internet tracking and practically anything else - including unknown invasion of your home in extreme cases. Yet, allow long-haul truckers from Mexico free-range access to the United States? Does anyone else see the hypocrisy and threat in this policy?

It just goes to show that this War on Terror is nothing but a charade to make the wealthy even wealthier. The public is perfectly safe as long as we have NAFTA and the WTO taking jobs out of the United States and allowing large corporations to make as much money as possible. It's safe because the large corporations here in the United States are making major LOOT from government contracts to build weapons for war.

Dissolve NAFTA and the WTO and bring our jobs back to the United States.
Bring our troops home in a TRUE effort to protect the citizens of America. My freedom has nothing to do with Iraq or Afghanistan. My safety can be better protected here at home than in a war ravaged country half a planet away.

Trade and War are two of the most deadly causes this world has ever seen. And neither of these currently taking place has much at all to do with the best interests of Americans.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

It was alright though, when your illustrious Government sent all the 'GOVERNMENT SUBSIDISED SOFT LUNMBER" down here by the train load and put our loggers out of business????LOL. Ya, it works both ways. Free & fair market is the only way!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gateway

What I find curious is this Mexican threat, "of taking counter measures". Whatever that's supposed to mean? I wonder if that's to mean or threaten that they are going to kick-out the American owned maquiladora factories in Mexico?

Burrito embargo???
I don't see any "counter measures" the Mexican government has up it's sleeve could even minutely hurt our economy more than it is.....with the exception of oil....

Crude Oil Imports (Top 15 Countries)
(Thousand Barrels per Day)
Country Jun-08 May-08 YTD 2008 Jun-07 YTD 2007
CANADA 1,883 1,840 1,888 1,905 1,881
SAUDI ARABIA 1,479 1,579 1,523 1,501 1,407
MEXICO 1,124 1,116 1,193 1,392 1,454

source

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is a great vote...finally the House get it right...now lets tighten the border and stop illegal immigration and drug trafficking...!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Thank God!! This was one step in the direction of a North American Union.

If you watch Lou Dobbs he's pretty privy to this whole thing. Many are unaware that Canada, the US, and Mexico have been slowly but surely been working toward building a North American Union right under our noses. He's been trying to get it through to people's heads though.

That's why we have the Security and Prosperity Partnership Of North America.

spp.gov

Scary!

Yes, yes, yes...Bush will NOT like this one bit!! I just hope the Senate has the brains to reject this also.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul3
The only reason it passed was to make people think congress was doing something that the people wanted done,right before the elect. Its all a part of the dog & pony show. When are you people going to WAKE UP !!!!!!.
THERE ARE NOT TWO PARTYS. There playing you people for the fools you are. They Knew that bush would veto it. Thats the only reason it passed!!!!

Wow...I never saw it that way. I really hope your not right. Given that the House overwhelmingly voted to quash this bill it is safe to say that the veto should be easily overridden. I suppose that if Bush does veto the bill and the House does absolutely nothing to override it, then you just may be right. I really hope you aren't.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Peepers

Geees, Don't suger coat it or anything..just let ALL your feeling come to the forefront!!!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

Dissolve NAFTA and the WTO and bring our jobs back to the United States.

If you are creating a global government - - you would need to equalize job worth and pay around the world. You would need to elevate 3rd world countries - - and lower pay and standards in leading countries.

At least that is how I see it - - in a logical progression.

Originally posted by Grafilthy

Burrito embargo???
I don't see any "counter measures" the Mexican government has up it's sleeve could even minutely hurt our economy more than it is.....with the exception of oil....

Must we always insult other cultures and countries - when trying to make a point?

We are hardly pure as the driven snow.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Originally posted by Grafilthy

Burrito embargo???

Must we always insult other cultures and countries - when trying to make a point?

We are hardly pure as the driven snow.

Calm down. Just a little joke......and I love burrito's!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
If you are creating a global government - - you would need to equalize job worth and pay around the world. You would need to elevate 3rd world countries - - and lower pay and standards in leading countries.

At least that is how I see it - - in a logical progression.

You're exactly right.

Which is why I oppose everything the ASEAN Initiative, NAFTA, MEFTA, APEC, CAFTA-DR and the WTO stand for.

I don't agree with a global government.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tyranny22

You're exactly right.

Which is why I oppose everything the ASEAN Initiative, NAFTA, MEFTA, APEC, CAFTA-DR and the WTO stand for.

I don't agree with a global government.

Nothing stays the same. The Great Wall of China didn't work either.

A global government is the only logical progression. It isn't "IF" - its "HOW".

. . . and to stay on topic. I can't see this truck route not happening. It is a precursor to the North American Union.

All I'm seeing in this current House move - is what I call Funny Politics. "Don't Look There - Look Here".

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeybus

Depends what whas in the trucks, it could be CIA's drugs, Gold bars, Stolen money, Blood.

Good point!

I drove for Celadon Trucking for a while, and have a good friend who still does. They bill themselves as "the international carrier", and have a huge terminal with four separate trailer lots in Laredo TX.

They have several special rules for trailers coming from Mexico: firstly, each trailer is immediately inspected so they can replace all the lights that were stolen while it was in Mexico. Secondly, all loaded trailers pulled north from Laredo are to be weighed, regardless of billed weight. This is because of the large number of supposedly 'light' loads which are later found out to be overloaded (much to the dismay of the driver, who is now facing a DOT officer with a ready ticket book). Thirdly, every truck leaving is to be checked at every stop, no matter how short, to make sure no illegals are hiding under the roof scoop or trailer. Several drivers are now in prison because someone stowed away without their knowledge on the truck. The stowaways were given a free ride home.

I recommend anyone who is interested in learning more about this simply go the local truck stop and wait in the restaurant to talk with whatever drivers come in. Ask them about it. You'll get an education that will open your eyes more than a red pill from "The Matrix".

You might also find out that there are actually humans driving those rigs sometimes.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I worked on a shipping dock for a short time. Loved my truckers. Many people would be surprised how many couples there are and how many very religious truckers there are. There is even a traveling "church" that goes to truck stops.

My company made frozen burritos. I used to go get them out of the warehouse and fix the truckers burritos. They were very appreciative. Some places treated them like less than dirt.

This was Los Angeles - most of the truckers were from the midwest or south. It was kind of funny to see 5 big burly tuckers move faster then lightening out of my office - when an earthquake hit. They had never experienced an earthquake before. I just sat at my desk and kept working - LOL

They really do not get the respect they deserve.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Thirdly, every truck leaving is to be checked at every stop, no matter how short, to make sure no illegals are hiding under the roof scoop or trailer. Several drivers are now in prison because someone stowed away without their knowledge on the truck. The stowaways were given a free ride home.

In Calif there are trucking companies that have there own drug dogs because they have had drivers arrested for drugs hidden in "sealed load" Mexican trailers that they picked up in the US.
One driver was able to prove that he had no connection with the drugs in the "sealed" trailer. (accident recording camera system installed in his truck that showed he had not got out of the truck between the truck yard and arrest to put the drugs in the cargo box. and the trucking company's yard security cameras showing that he did not enter the cargo box in the yard.)
He sued the company that contracted him for hauling the load for the value of His rig lost due to drug confiscation rules, his loss of income, time in jail, ect
He got 4 million from the trucking company.
but the trucking company got the case sealed so that other truck driver would not find out about it.
they claimed that it would hurt there business if other drivers found out that they could be arrested for hauling these loads.

The cops don't care who the trailer belongs to or if its a "sealed load" the driver is held responable for what in it.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by ANNED]

[edit on 15-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I would like to make several comments regarding this issue.

First of all, I would strong pay attention to posters like TheRedneck, as he is giving us first-hand information on what is actually happening, not just a third party opinion of what is happening. I believe that the American way of life is at stake here. Slowly, NAFTA and "global economy" is eroding both Canada's and America's way of life.

Second, I believe most Americans would vote to revoke NAFTA. Here is an external reference:
www.rasmussenreports.com...

Only 16% of respondents favor NAFTA - a pact which came into being in 1994
and lowers nearly all trade barriers between the U.S., Canada and Mexico --
as is, with 28% undecided.

McCain's strong endorsement of NAFTA came in a speech in Ottawa today
(Friday), aimed at his Democratic opponent Barack Obama for wanting to
renegotiate it at the risk of damaging relations with Canada and Mexico.

Anticipating this criticism, Obama on Monday told a group in Flint, Michigan: “I have said before, and will say again, I believe in free trade. … But unlike George Bush and John McCain, I do not think that any trade agreement is a good trade agreement.”

Voters--in a separate Rasmussen Reports survey taken last week--seem to share Obama’s ambivalence. Thirty-four percent (34%) say free trade is good for the U.S. economy, but 36% say it is not. Thirteen percent (13%) say neither is true, and 18% are undecided. Republicans narrowly believe free trade is good (41% to 33%), Democrats narrowly believe it is bad, and unaffiliated voters are evenly divided. (See toplines and crosstabs)

At the same time, over half (54%) believe free trade agreements take jobs away from Americans, while only 23% believe U.S. jobs are created. Ten percent (10%) say neither, and 13% aren’t sure.

Third, I think that the only reason the House did what they did has to do with November 4, 2008, and nothing else. I believe that they know that the American public is very dissatisfied with NAFTA and don't want to risk re-election, but I truly believe that once they are re-elected, it is back to the usual subservience to their real masters, the corporations.

Fourth, if Lehman Brothers, Merrill, and AIG aren't enough evidence for you of what GREED ultimately does to Corporations, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Fifth, equalization of wages in the global economy only makes sense if those in third world countries are provided with true human rights, and not essentially slave labor. A free market cannot possibly compete with slave labor.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join