It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to End Mexican Truck Program (NAFTA)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

House Votes to End Mexican Truck Program (NAFTA)

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives defied a White House veto threat on Tuesday by voting to end a controversial pilot program that gives long-haul commercial trucks from Mexico full access to U.S. highways.

The bill, approved 395-18, would reverse a decision by the Transportation Department to continue the program, which was begun last year under NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mexidata.info
www.todaystrucking.com
www.signonsandiego.com
ap.google.com

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Well, it looks like the House has stood up to Bush on this one!

Bush won't like this, and neither does the Mexico government!

Still, the Mexican Embassy in Washington said it was "deeply concerned" about the House vote and welcomed the administration's intention to veto the measure.

"Mexico has fulfilled its NAFTA obligations and expects the U.S. do the same. Should the bill be enacted into law, the government of Mexico will consider taking all the appropriate actions, including remedies or countermeasures under the North American Free Trade Agreement," the embassy statement said.

Apparently only 155 truckers from Mexico were participating in the program that gave Mexican truckers full access in the USA.

Not a big deal in my book, not like 155 less trucks on the road are going to upset the "chain of supply".

Never was a fan of this NAFTA Highway idea anyway.

It seems Bush was/is the driving force right now trying to keep this going, Democrats don't like the trucking program because it takes jobs away from US citizens and they are worried about highway safety and Republicans are concerned about security and immigration issues.

Looks like Bush is almost on his own on this one.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/10/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

I think it's a step in the right direction. This whole NAFTA agreement needs to be flushed into the toilet. I'm an ardent Capitalist, and I believe and am for 100% free trade, but this NAFTA is nothing of the sort.

What I find curious is this Mexican threat, "of taking counter measures". Whatever that's supposed to mean? I wonder if that's to mean or threaten that they are going to kick-out the American owned maquiladora factories in Mexico?

That would be a smart move, yeah sure kick-out people who are giving your countrymen jobs.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

395-18? .. if it gets this much support in Senate, then they can actually override a veto by Bush.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is a brilliant move. A much 'needed killin' of a terrible law. As a trucker who gets pulled over and harrassed by DOT nearly everywhere I go and has a 'ONE' year old truck, I am glad this has happened. The mexican trucks and they're cargo are NOT being inspected and the safety factor as to vehicle and health issues where never taken into consideration by the original law. It also allowed companies to undermine the freight costs. Mexican truckers are subsidized for fuel costs and American truckers as a whole are not. Thats 40% of our cost to operate now. More crushing of independant American commerce!

Zindo

[edit on 9/10/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I've been listening to the progress of this bill on XM. It's a hot topic for OOIDA, the Trucking Bozo, and Rollye James.

A little history behind this: The Mexican Truck Pilot Program was started under NAFTA requirements for open border trade. But NAFTA also states that each country may require an equal amount of safety/regulatory measures from the other countries to participate. This would mean that Mexican trucks would have to meet the same basic requirements for safety and regulation that are imposed by the US on US-owned trucks.

In the US, trucks are subject to very restrictive requirements as to condition, even including the routing of air lines and stability of any accessories (such as tarps, chains, blocking, etc). Every single light installed on the vehicle must work, tire inflation pressure is regulated to within +/- 5 lbs of optimum, and tire tread minimums are specifically stated, as are whether or not specific tires may be retreads or must have new casings.

In the US, every driver of a Commercial Vehicle must have on their possession at all times a CDL from their home state. Any accident/incident is investigated and noted by the USDOT and licenses are suspended/revoked for infractions that are considered minor for other motorists. Alcohol/drug testing is required regularly and randomly to insure that no driver is impaired, and HOS (Hours Of Service) regulations require the drivers to report on official government documents whenever they change duty for more than 7 1/2 minutes, including stopping to use a restroom.

Since the inception of the Mexican Truck Pilot Program, every Mexican carrier inspected has had multiple safety and/or HOS violations. The rate of infractions is many times that of the worst US trucking companies. As a consequence of this, and in response to Mary Peters' (US Secretary of Transportation) assertion to expand the program anyway, Congress passed a bill requiring that no more money was to be spent on this program. Despite a signature by George Bush, making the bill a law, the USDOT has continued to fund it in direct opposition to Congress.

This bill is a direct order to discontinue the program, which has placed dangerously inadequate trucks with under-trained and unregulated drivers on our highways and placed a larger financial burden on US carriers and US drivers through unfair and uneven competition. Bush is vowing to veto it because it does not contain any 'loopholes' that can be used by the USDOT to continue the program.

My congratulations to the House of Representatives for their first attempt in a while to actually place the American businesses and people ahead of foreign interests. I only hope the Senate will be as resounding in their decision. A veto by Bush will occur if they are not substantially unanimous in their stance.

www.landlinemag.com...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Ahhhh, Red My friend. You speak so much more eloquently than I. Just exactly correct. This law was originaly a direct slap in the face to American Independant Truckers and everyone else that drives for a living!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Thanks for the info that is great news. The American trucker, especially the independents have enough problems without competing with Mexico.

I know diesel went skyhigh in the USA because they lowered the allowed sulfur content. Do those mexican trucks with Mexican Diesel meet the US sulfur standard? Somehow I think not.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Crimvelvet,
When they come over the border they have full tanks of subsidized Mexican (Pemex most likley) fuel. That gets them roughly 1000-1500 miles on full 250-300 gallon tanks on very good running trucks at 5 miles per gal. I do not believe they're fuel is the same sulfer grade as ours. Most probably much worse.

Zindo

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
LOL, you beat me to it on the fuel situation.

I understand Mexican diesel is about $2 a gallon less than in the US. Mexican stations across the border form San Diego are either refusing to sell to Americans or severely limiting purchases. Mexicans, of course, can buy all they want so they don't have to pay our prices.

I don't know for certain about the sulfur content, but I would bet money you are right on it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Thank goodness the House finally saw the light. Now if they would only revoke the NAFTA agreement. It has done nothing but harm Americans (other than the few elite that have made billions by moving their plants to Mexico, and it's cheap labor. Fortunately there was not a lot of lobbyist money to grease the hands of Congress. However, with NAFTA there is plenty of lobby money to keep it going. I think the fight to revoke NAFTA with be a very uphill battle.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Thanks, Zindo, TheRedneck

Actually the Freightliner sitting out front (in mothballs) has two 200 gal tanks and 6.4 mpg which gives about 2500miles. That truck could cover a lot of the USA without spending a dime in the US.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Dang, your truck runs good, LOL. Mine is a new 500 HP Cat and 13 spd. and I get lucky with 5-6!!!LOL

Zindo

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
2005 Freightshaker Century, Detroit 435... 7 mpg.
200 gal tanks, I have to stop before 1000 miles or the fuel computer kicks me out. So I've never put over 150 gal in.

Yes, I was recently denied fuel because I was getting too much mileage...

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This is great news. Someone I'm very close to is a truck driver who only started about a year ago and she's seen a few horror stories already relating to the Mexican trucks. Those hunks of junk and unqualified drivers have no place on our roads!!

This is the first time I've been able to say this so far, but Good on you, Congress!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Thanks for this bit of good news!

I must remind you that the corporate machine is trying to create a 'back-door' NAFTA outside the government, as a business-to-business affair.

I got the impression however that the NAFTA framework would have been necessary for them to achieve their questionable goals. If they DO toss NAFTA out the window, I will be breathing a great sigh of relief for all our friends in the transport industry on the west coast, which I personally believe would have been gutted by the agreement.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Hooray for the House of Representatives! I pray the Senate votes in solidarity with the wishes of the American people.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Related to the mexican fuel thing. Lower quality fuels are also responsible for increased pollution, as it isn't burned anywhere near as cleanly.

I'm glad to hear about this, just hoping it holds
. I've had my share of unpleasant experiences regarding unqualified truckers.

Thanks for the notice!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We need not forget.. this isn't just about truckers.. the future plan for NAFTA is where U.S Canada and Mexico turn into an EU of sorts... which will lead to a new currency.. called the AMERO here is a news clip on the AMERO.

this is not some fringe conspiracy.. and will completely undermine the U.S constitution this is real!.. you can see they are planting the seeds for us to accept the Amero when the dollar eventually crashes..once we do that..we lose our sovereignty this will happen soon...Americans will never do this unless the Dollar crashes.and essentially we will be forced to accept the amero.. and lose the U.S completly

[edit on 11-9-2008 by thefreepatriot]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

We all know its only the House that represents the people.. Congress will most likely vote against the house... NAFTA will proceed as planned

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join