It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low'; CNN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This thread is the direct CNN headline title.
Biden's comments on special needs kids called 'new low'

During a campaign event in Columbia, Missouri, Biden did not mention his Republican counterpart by name but said, "I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy ... and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect." ...

"Well, guess what, folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?" asked Biden, the running mate of Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama.

Biden's support of stem cell research is at odds with the position taken by the Republicans' vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, whose 5-month-old son, Trig, has Down syndrome.

Palin, an evangelical Christian, opposes stem cell research because it involves the use of human embryos, but her running mate, GOP presidential nominee McCain, does support stem cell research.
(Quote altered to put full statement in a row. the paragraph below it was in between these two quotes)

Do I need to post a comment? The fact is, stem cell research no longer affects the embryo argument. Scientists can get them from grown adults and placenta.

So why this kind of attack? And note the pause after the word joy.
And focus on the article please!

[edit on 10-9-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I seriously fail to see how this is in any way offensive or "a new low". You'd have to really sit down and consciously convince yourself that this should offend you to take that position I think lol

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Please get a grip. It most certainly is not a new low....we can credit Bush and Co. with that honor.

Through stem cell miracles can be accomplished, including new healthy life for a child.

So now technology can go around it? At worse Biden is not up to date with scientific accomplishments right now.

Plheeeeeze.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
I seriously fail to see how this is in any way offensive or "a new low". You'd have to really sit down and consciously convince yourself that this should offend you to take that position I think lol

There are several reasons I find this offensive and a "new low."

One of which is Biden's use of the term "if you care about it."

Is he implying Palin doesn't care about her own kids or doesn't care about other special needs kids? Or is he assuming she does care about it, but to show she cares she must fund stem cell research?

Did Obama or Biden make stem cell research a focal point before Palin was named VP?

Or is this just part of their plan to tear down Palin, and use her son Trig do accomplish the dirty work?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ANoNyMiKE

Really? You don't find it offensive when he say's that he, (biden) is bothered by republicans talking about the "Joy" of having disabled kids (find me a republican candidate who has recently employed such a phrase other than Gov. Palin) when they don't support the use of aborted babies for medical gain.

One, this is not the case of not supporting the program, just where the stem cells came from. As previously stated, this was solved within 5 years of the controversy. They can use spinal stem cells from adults, skin cells from adults, and also, the placenta.

Two, to imply that a mother doesn't care about cures for her child's illness is ridiculous. Especially when Sen. Biden has supported abortion for reasons including the termination of fetus's who are disabled.

This is beyond offensive mate. And I have broken my own month and a half long exile from this forum just to say so.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Please get a grip. It most certainly is not a new low....we can credit Bush and Co. with that honor.

Through stem cell miracles can be accomplished, including new healthy life for a child.

So now technology can go around it? At worse Biden is not up to date with scientific accomplishments right now.

Plheeeeeze.

Let me get this straight. You are blaming Pres. Bush for what exactly?

Is this an off topic comment, or will you please explain the connection?

Can you please point out any "miracles" for children that have happened using stem cells from aborted babies?

And as for Biden's tech know-how, if he is going to make it an issue, and attack a mother to boot, then he better darn well be up to date on this.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Dear lord,

Who in the world is talking about ABORTED BABIES?????

How about umbilical cords and such. Dont be on the attack so fast there.

My point is that Biden is probably not up on the latest technologies. Wow, why does anyone bother posting anything here anymore?

It is NOT a new low to want stem cell progress and research and maybe Bidens only sin here was the way it rolled out of his mouth??????????

Farewell.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I can see this going down the route of the Obama lipstick thread. Context is important people. One cant just take a soundbite and make a conclusion.

Biden picked his words wrong in this one. But the message is still clear. He is saying that with stem cells, lie cures. Cures to things like down syndrome. He's asking the basic question any parent can be asked.

Wouldnt you want to do everything you can to make sure your child is as healthy as he or she can be.

Palin simply doesnt think the answer lies with stem cells, or she thinks its a road we cant ever go down on.

Fine. They simply disagree on stem cells. But I would safely assume that Biden does not think Palin is a bad mother. Which she isn't. Hes just passionate about stem cell research and , in his mind, cant figure why she wouldn't want it as well. The result is the quote you have shared.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It is called Foot-In-Mouth syndrome.

Seems to be infecting all of our politicians these days.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

Really? You don't find it offensive when he say's that he, (biden) is bothered by republicans talking about the "Joy" of having disabled kids (find me a republican candidate who has recently employed such a phrase other than Gov. Palin) when they don't support the use of aborted babies for medical gain.

One, this is not the case of not supporting the program, just where the stem cells came from. As previously stated, this was solved within 5 years of the controversy. They can use spinal stem cells from adults, skin cells from adults, and also, the placenta.

Two, to imply that a mother doesn't care about cures for her child's illness is ridiculous. Especially when Sen. Biden has supported abortion for reasons including the termination of fetus's who are disabled.

This is beyond offensive mate. And I have broken my own month and a half long exile from this forum just to say so.

Sure, but I'm talking about me and you, not her. You, personally, are offended by Mr. Biden's statement?

Not just in this instance but all over ATS, people love getting offended on behalf of other people. Even when they know that in reality, it's not something they really attach much significance to.

Everyone loves to throw their arms up at absolutely every opportunity that presents itself... to someone other than themselves, relating to nothing they've ever been concerned with before given this opportunity. It's like some people wake up, flick on the TV and ask themselves; "Hmm I wonder what I can get offended by today? Lets see what other people are getting offended by!"

I think Biden actually has a valid point, the Republicans aren't doing all they can in this situation. They're throwing away extremely valuable medical tissues, in the garbage. I can't even begin to fathom their justification, there is none and they deserve to be called on it.

I can't honestly believe that you really feel as though Biden has in effect said Palin doesn't love her kids as much as she could, by not allowing for stem research development. And that his perceived opinion of Palin's love of her children has deeply wounded and offended you as an individual. Give me a break, I don't buy it.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Sorry BK, I have to disagree with you there. This is nothing like the lipstick thread. I agreed on that one. (not that Sen. Obama didn't mean her, just that it was a one line issue, let it go)

This is different, and I think that you are the one out of context. The ONLY argument any conservative made that I know of, (during the time frame of the issue) was against the use of aborted fetus's.

You are distorting the issue to make Sen. Biden look better. You know very well who he was talking about, as I said before. Find me another repub who recently talked of the "joys and struggles" of raising a challenged child.

Nuff said.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

The "aborted babies" in question are in the context of the ban on Stem cell research by the right. It was only for fetus's, not any other stem cells. Took only a couple years, too.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I dont understand what you are trying to say. I said that Biden chose his words wrong. I said that Biden was obviously talking in reference to Palin. All I did was say why. He believes in the stem cell issue so passionately that he blurted out a bad line in a bad way.

The reason I say this will end up like the lipstick thread is not based on the quotes themselves. But more on the fact that all the Biden supporters will come on here and defend him. And they will get in circular long winded debates with those who think this comment was a 'new low'

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
This is called braindead politics.
Palin opened the topic but she has the clear untouchable highground by having a special needs child.
Yet here come Biden, stumbling in when he can look like nothing other than a fool by questioning her support for children with special needs. By saying "if you really care" leading into the subject he set himself up as doubting her position. He can come out as nothing but a loser like this but he does it anyway.

Why is he making it controversial on purpose? He could have easily said, "supporting stem cell research is our way of being on top of this issue" as an example. You step your foot in safely, say your position and get out with no damage done to yourself.

Whoever is running this campaign is purposely gearing it to be confrontational and it is backfiring every step of the way. When it is over I hope they tar and feather these people for making us go through this.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

First, the fact that you refer to aborted fetus's as "medical tissue's" shows that you and I will NEVER agree on this topic.

Second, you have yet to address the real issue. If you want to keep saying what you are, please stay in context.

Conservatives oppose abortion. They consider this "medical tissue" to be a human body.

Conservatives said that we should look for more ways to find these stem cells, before we start crossing that barrier. They basically asked for restraint.

Now, we have a plethora of stem cells from other means, one's that were supported by BOTH parties.

So what is your problem exactly?

And yes, I AM personally offended by what that Sen. said.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

Okay BK, I get you. But read the post below yours. That guy is dead on.

And remember, you haven't seen me here lately for many reasons, and that is probably because of "Obama'a birth certificate found with lipstick from Palin's Daughter" threads that I hate.

Sorry, I think this is an issue. "mis-spoke" is a big thing on a world stage, the one he is trying to get to.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
Context is important people.

Yes, context is important, and that's exactly what makes Biden's comment so offensive.

Let's break it down:

"I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy ... and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect."

Biden starts his comments about Republicans. Specifically, he mentions that he hears all this talk about how Republicans are going to work with parents of kids with a birth defect.

The only "Republicans' Biden heard talking about this was Sarah Palin in her speech at the RNC. And Sarah Palin also has a child with Down Syndrome.

One a side note, I'm pretty sure most parents of kids with Down syndrome don't call it a birth "defect." That phrase alone is offensive.

"Well, guess what, folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?"

Biden next constructs an "if-then" false argument. If you care about families with disabilities does not mean you must support stem cell research. And in fact, Republicans, including George Bush, John McCain, and Sarah Palin do support stem cell research. So the implication is false to begin with. I.e., it's another lie/smear that mischaracterizes the Republicans in general, and Palin specifically.

And taken in the context that Palin is running against him, Palin just made a speech saying she's going to be an advocate for parents of kids with disabilities, and Palin is the main reason McCain leaped over Obama in the polls, it's apparent that Biden is attempting to characterize her as some sort of hypocrite.

Conclusion: Biden is referencing Palin and her baby with Down syndrome to "smear" Palin for political gain. This is low, offensive, and disgusting, imo.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

Biden seems to be a little slow when it comes to progress in the stem cell field. However, while there are alternatives to using embryos, they ( the embryos ) are considered the best chance for making advancements in this area of medicine and science. This is my opinion.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Biden tend to put his foot in his mouth alot he is known as an attack dog but hasnt realized has to change his tactics at least he didnt get one thing wrong when he said obama should have picked Hillary over him.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Once again Biden has been afflicted with foot in mouth disease. The emphasis here is not whether you support stem cell research, the emphasis here is the remark and I quote"well folks if you care about it" refering to getting
Help for special needs kids.

As a mother of an autistic son
I find his comment highly offensive and a little less than humane. He is implying that if you are a republican,
You obviously don't care about the needs of these children because you don't support stem cell research involving the use of embryo's.Excuse me that was a direct SLAM to me! I fit the above criteria to a tee.

I think if Biden was at all in touch with parents of disabled children he would find, that they don't play politics regarding getting the help they need.They simply need the help period!

While the Stem cell comment legitamizes his attack on Palin it solidifies the loss of votes from a special group of people.

But what would you expect from the man who is. on the ticket of the Obamanation

top topics

<<   2 >>

join