It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matt Damon terrified by the possibility of a President Palin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I thought Matt Damon brought up some great points. Take a look at the interview!

Matt Damon Interview

Screen star Matt Damon told the Associated Press that he considers the prospect of a President Palin to be a "really terrifying possibility."

"I think there's a really good chance that Sarah Palin could be president," he said, "and I think that's a really scary thing."

"It's like a really bad Disney movie," he continued. "'I'm just a hockey mom from Alaska,' and she's the President! And it's like, she's facing down Vladimir Putin using the...folks stuff she learned at the hockey rink. You know, it's absurd."

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
No offense but why is an actor announcing such stuff "breaking political News"?

What a shocker.

Yawn.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Seems like a smart, well spoken, attractive fella maybe he'll win some of the women back to Obama!!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

If you say so. I find it disturbing that you think women would be swayed by Damon and his looks rather than the issues at hand. Do you really want those kind of votes for your side?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Who wouldn't be terrified of Palin as president!? I never thought I'd say this, but W qualifies more than her. Anyone who would feel safe with their country and freedom in her hands is hopelessly brainwashed.
On the other side of things, I doubt Obama would be much better. We're flippin' doomed.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No offense, but does anyone really care what Matt Damon has to say?

He has his opinion. I have mine. Others have theirs.

Hopefully, the musings of a "star/celebrity" won't sway the voters one way or another.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You guys have nothing to worry about... Jason Bourne has been called in and is already cutting her phone and power lines as we speak...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
This means nothing to me & won't affect how I place my vote.

As a matter of fact, it ticks me off when these actors use their fame to further their own political beliefs. They may be rich, they may be famous, but that doesn't make them anymore right than the farmer across the street.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
There are only a few things in this worl;d that can truly validate my choices as correctly decided. Hearing Matt Damon disagree with me is at the very top of the list.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

If you say so. I find it disturbing that you think women would be swayed by Damon and his looks rather than the issues at hand. Do you really want those kind of votes for your side?

I find it stark raving bug eyed insanity that women or men would be swayed by Sarah Palin. But hey that's just me. If you trust the Penecostal neophyte with apocalyptic dreams for America go right ahead...

Maybe she will wear a nametag: Hi My Name is Sarah VP Trainee!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't mind at all when celebrities express their political opinions; what I really object to is the notion that any segment of the masses would take their opinions to heart. I mean, I don't know Matt Damon personally, and while I admire his acting ability, I don't know anything about his frame of reference. He proclaims to be dismayed [paraphrasing] at the prospect of Palin being President. So??? I might agree with him [or not], but his opinion doesn't sway me in the least. We have to look at the self-proclaimed perspective of the politicians on the issues that matter to us, and then decide if we believe them or not. That's it. That's all the criteria we have to judge their ability to lead the United States of America. Do we believe them, or do we think they are spinning a hollow tale? It's a conundrum, and I can't really recall the last time that I felt a politician really truly followed through with their pre-election promises.

I really admire Jack Nicholson, and would love to sit down and chat with him about politics or sports or whatever, but truthfully...... I don't think I would parrot his views with my vote.

We all have the right to speak out. Those in the limelight garner more attention, but please, folks, let us not let their views replace our own. We need to not be lazy and let others supplant our lack of interest with their views. Find out for yourself. You'll sleep better at night after the election, knowing that you did all you could to find the truth of things.

I think most of them are liars. They call it "spin". Same thing. It's, regrettably, a matter of degrees.

Good luck, U.S. -- may the truthful person win. I took a degree in Chemistry with minors in physics and math. Those pieces of paper did nothing to train me for the jobs I took, but they allowed me to get my foot in the door. Likewise, a politician will undergo on-the-job training -- they ALL do. Honesty, honor, integrity, truthfulness, compassion and a tad of heart will be the variables that will make or break the great nation. Just an opinion of an aged watcher. Don't listen to me EITHER.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
This means nothing to me & won't affect how I place my vote.

As a matter of fact, it ticks me off when these actors use their fame to further their own political beliefs. They may be rich, they may be famous, but that doesn't make them anymore right than the farmer across the street.

Well then shame on you for using the internet to further yours.

How is it any different than anyone you see on TV, or hear on the radio, or read in the paper, talking about politics. Everyone's got their opinion, and everyone is entitled to share it.

I take it your response would have been different had his opinion been different. It's ok, that's what we do here, blast those that we don't agree with.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
It does my heart good to see several on ATS questioning these "celebrity endorsements".

Sure, they have views like anyone else and have the right to speak their minds.

But, in reality there views are no more (or less) important than mine, your's or the folks in the next thread down.

The only real difference is we don't get any TV time when we decide we like or don't like something.

Political views of celbs being news worthy has alwasy kind of baffled me to be honest. They are certainly entitled to their views. But they are no more news worthy than if I were announce I didn't like sweet potatoes.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

A lot of people here whining about how celebs are not allowed to express their views. So much for free speech huh

I wonder: if he had been taking a pop at Obama and accusing him of being a stealth muslim/a stealth communist/anti american/a sexist/ terrorist loving/freedom hating/etc., would the people saying celebs should stfu still be saying it?

Who knows, and frankly, who cares. As its already been stated, he is stating his thoughts just like any internet blogger or poster is, the only difference being the media he expresses it on, and his name grabs attention

Anyways, his comment on Dinosaurs and Nuclear Codes reminded me of this clip with Bill Maher::

"If you believe in Judgement Day, I have to seriously question your judgement"

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Terran Blue]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You are entitled to your opinion. Mrs. Palin however has "swayed" enough people with her abilities and ideas to be elected to the PTO, Mayor and Governorship and finally to be nominated to the VP slot. What have you or Mr. Damon been elected to by the people that know you?

Whatever she is doing must be rather convincing to quite a few people, who you seem to deem "stark raving mad". Over 100,000 Alaskans voted for her, are they all crazy in your opinion or just stupid?

Methinks you doth protest too much.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
FYI- Matt Damon attended Harvard University and would have graduated but chose to take up an acting career with the success of Goodwill Hunting instead. He was raised by his college prof feminsit mom!! How do you like them apples???

Smart fellow who cares about his country!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Like they say! Opinions are like buttholes, and everybody has one. Damons just happens to stink more than most!!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss

Maybe she will wear a nametag: Hi My Name is Sarah VP Trainee!

If Obama wins will he wear one stating "I've never really had any Executive experience, please be patient while I figure it out"?

See how silly that sounds. Must everyone resort to name calling and belittling?

I understand you don't like Palin, you don't have to be mean spirited about your dislike. Be Civil about you dislike of a candidate, Lord knows it's hard sometimes.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I am not one to judge a book by its cover, or gender. Nor will I advocate the opinions of hollywood elite (even if Matt Damon is a proven intellectual).

The the point of this thread has more merit than most are giving credit. This lady is a narrative. She is a cookie-cutter figure that the GOP strategized into place. All of the blind supporters are filling in the proverbial blanks on her credentials.

What does she know about foreign policy? The state of our globe is in turmoil, yet America is in a war of "my side is more trendy than your side." It all stinks.

But if anyone is confident in the Palin for president ideology, you have little depth in political affairs, and not enough foresight to create a plausible "worst case scenario" if she became the president.

I am all for a woman if she is suited, and being mayor of a town of 9,000 (in Alaska) and not even two years into her first term as governor does not give her the credentials to lead our unstable nation.

She is a flavor of the week, at best, and the future will prove me right.

AAC

[edit on 10-9-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join