It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA confirm `growths` on Phoenix lander

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This has been known about for several weeks,but now NASA officially acknowledge it.

www.redorbit.com...
www.redorbit.com...

www.jpl.nasa.gov...
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

www.physorg.com...
www.physorg.com...

See this thread for some speculation which maybe,or maybe not,related to this news.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Swamp Gas]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Interesting...

But surely this would prevent any sample from returning to earth, in fear of contamination with alien substance.

Or would it?

Someone educate me.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by mr-lizard]

[edit on 10-9-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
They are not returning anything from the Phoenix mission.
All experiments are carried out on Mars,with on-board apparatus.

But your point about contamination is a concern NASA take very seriously,hence the hygiene and cleanliness required in the manufacture of all scientific equipment sent into space.The consequences of Earth based contamination carried on a scientific instrument (e.g Phoenix)could potentially ruin a whole scientific mission,and that could be just the beginning!

The samples of Moon rock for example,had to be kept safe in special containers to avoid their contamination.

The other extreme,assuming some living,biological contamination survives the extremes involved in traversing space,re-entry (if maybe hitching a lift on a returning probe)ect,the consequences could be potentially disastrous for obvious reasons.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Swamp Gas]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Swamp Gas

I understand now. So the only thing that gets sent back to earth is data.
Well that's one less thing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
We will never know for sure what the substance is. Now if it grows bigger and has a mouth with acid dripping from it....Look Out! Just a little humor. ha! I am sure they will have an explaination for what is there that will show it is not Life. You just never know. Great Post!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Rust comes to mind,
not nessecarily Earth type rust, but something in the atmosphere or the soil samples blowing about that doesnt interact well with the minerals we've made this little baby out of .
Some form of oxidization maybe?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Looks to me like something feeding off the paint or metal just like the green tarnish we see on brass here on earth. Hope they don't try to cover up if it indeed turns out to be some form of life.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If it is some kind of growth how come it isn't on the other legs of the craft?
Its only on that arm. The other legs look painted. I bet its some kind of oxidation.
If it was some kind of growth it would be on everything.
Just have to wait and see. Hope they can get some better pics. Maybe zoom in a bit.
You send a probe to Mars and you cant get decent pics. Idiots.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Ok, the growth is pretty cool, could be mud, but why is it not on the rest of the landeR? only one leg? same question for the growth. why only one leg?

I did see something else though, not sure if anyone else has commented, but anyone else see the puddle? I think I can see ripples on the edge closest to us.

EMM

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
very intresting.

i have a theory, but it is only valid if the arm with the growth is also the arm that has the digger bit on it.

basicly, if that IS the digger arm, the most obvious explination for that arm being covered in "growth" would be that the "growth". whatever it was, was in the soil, and has started spreading up the arm from the digger bit.

(just a small theory, like i said, if its not the digger arm , the theory is dead before it has a chance)

[edit on 13-9-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I wonder if they can scrape a bit off and put it under the microscope?

It might turn out to be more interesting than condensation.

They would not be so interested if there were not some small potential for an exciting discovery.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
i woudl hope that nasa, being the boffins they are will have tried this already , but you never actualy know with nasa.

i was thinking about this last night, for oxidization it looks very bumpy, more like severe rust, oxidization that ive seen in the past would just be blotches, and... would'nt it need oxygen in the atmosphere to cause the oxidization effect?

also, to rust, wouldnt their need to be moisture and oxygen in the atmosphere.

(i am very far from being a rust, oxidization expert, so please cossect me if im wrong)

(the following is a quote from wiki's page on rust .. en.wikipedia.org...

Rust is a general term for a series of iron oxides, usually red oxides, formed by the reaction of iron with oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O, iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3. Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel. Other metals undergo equivalent corrosion, but the resulting oxides are not commonly called rust. Given sufficient time, oxygen, and water, any iron mass eventually converts entirely to rust and disintegrates. The corrosion of aluminium is extremely slow because the resulting aluminium oxide forms a conformal coating, which protects the remaining aluminium. This process is known as passivation.

also, in closing, wouldnt nasa have made this lander from meteriels that do not rust, the rovers have not rusted or had this effect, neither has any other part of the lander, so it would rule out rust or oxidization.

but, like i said, im a million miles from being an expert, im just lookin gfor a logical explination.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
maybe due to dust wind and water the lander has a magnetic current on those places and there for accumulating metal or other magnetic active dust on those parts.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Could be some sort of bacterial growth, maybe some sort of algae like substance?
Perhaps some form of mold like substance?

Could have been contained in spores, or "shells", could have been dormant- Life, lying, waiting beneath the Martian surface.

Then again, but it isn't lying underneath the surface- Maybe life is, currently still an ongoing process on the red planet; and this is the first time we're seeing proof to the public eye.

Then again- It could just be some form of rust, as stated.
Salts in the dust, perhaps- Absorbing moisture?
Mud?

Who knows.
Pretty interesting, to say the least.
The time period it took for them to notice it, seems like it could be a reasonable growth period- But then, who's to say what's reasonable, if it's alien.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectroMagnetic Multivers
Ok, the growth is pretty cool, could be mud, but why is it not on the rest of the landeR? only one leg? same question for the growth. why only one leg?

Also, what about the growth being only on one leg?!

I kid EMM...

I did see something else though, not sure if anyone else has commented, but anyone else see the puddle? I think I can see ripples on the edge closest to us.

That's an interesting observation.

It sorta appears that the surface of the "puddle" has been clouded. Perhaps I'm reaching.

Wait a second...is that a puddle?!??!

EMM

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsTheQuestion

Also, what about the growth being only on one leg?!

I kid EMM...

That's an interesting observation.

It sorta appears that the surface of the "puddle" has been clouded. Perhaps I'm reaching.

Wait a second...is that a puddle?!??!

EMM

I'm still not too sure, at first, i thought it was defo a puddle, then as I looked at it, it looked like it could be a shadow, yet as I looked at it more, and closer, I can really see ripples on the closest edge. Maybe the shadow of it is over the puddle aswell? IT'S BOTH!!

EMM

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I know...

IT'S OIL!!!

Call Cheney.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

[edit on 12-9-2008 by ElectroMagnetic Multivers]

Mars Barnacles.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by logician magician]

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
those pictures just hit the main page of one of our Internet news portals ( one of our 3 biggest ones wiadomosci.onet.pl... ) , somehow I missed those pics before :/

To me this looks more like some kind of fungus than water or rust. Those "drops" have a definite height (hard to explain) , and somehow I doubt water can "grow" from day to day(meaning , there is more and more o those dots , every day)

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Rust comes to mind,
not nessecarily Earth type rust, but something in the atmosphere or the soil samples blowing about that doesnt interact well with the minerals we've made this little baby out of .
Some form of oxidization maybe?

Actually rust is prabably a very good answer...

Mars appears red because the surface is rich in Iron Oxide... which is oxidized iron... or... rust...

If the surface is covered with iron oxide, obviously rust can occur on mars...

I'm thinking its rust...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join