It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain and Palin differ on issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I heard a short tidbit on CNN today stating that McCain and Palin differ on some issues and they gave stem cell research as an example, but they didn't go into detail...so, did a little digging, and thought I would share what I found.

How will these differences matter in the coming election, if at all?

Oil Drilling

Palin - Favors drilling in the Wildlife refuge in Alaska (Like Bush)
McCain - Opposes drilling in the refuge, but wants more off shore drilling, which he has opposed for years.

Creationism

Palin - Has stated that she wants creationism taught in school, alongside evolution.
McCain - Stated that he believed in evolution when it came to the origin of life.

Abortion

Palin - Would like a ban on abortions unless the mother's life is at stake.

McCain - Opposes abortion, but would allow it in case of incest or rape.

Global Warming

Palin - Does not believe global warming is caused by man.

McCain - Stated that man contributes to global warming, and championed efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Stem Cell Research

Palin - Has stated many times that she opposes embryonic stem cell research

McCain - Agrees with stem cell research...and I quote..

I believe that we need to fund this. This is a tough issue for those of us in the pro-life community. I would remind you that these stem cells are either going to be discarded or perpetually frozen. We need to do what we can to relieve human suffering. It's a tough issue. I support federal funding.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Holy cow, McCains stance on things almost made me want to vote for him, but I just can't get on board with Palin, she's too fundamentalist for me. Besides I'm voting for Obama, but it's refreshing to see what McCain actually stands for instead of hearing all the Fox News talking points about lipstick and community organizing. Thanks for the topic OP.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Thanks for the side-to-side comparison. Interesting.

I suspect she´s only pretending to have those stances in order to cater to a certain biblical target group.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
Holy cow, McCains stance on things almost made me want to vote for him, but I just can't get on board with Palin, she's too fundamentalist for me. Besides I'm voting for Obama, but it's refreshing to see what McCain actually stands for instead of hearing all the Fox News talking points about lipstick and community organizing. Thanks for the topic OP.

I think that's the problem with a lot of voters...they don't actually know where the candidate they support stand on issues at all. I support Obama, but I agree that his stance on many issues are favorable to me, but not as much as Obama's stance is.

It will be interesting, when Palin is allowed to give an interview, if these topics are brought up, and what her response will be.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
SENSFAN .. very interesting!

Most true conservatives - like the Michelle Malkin and Ann Coulter types - will tell anyone who will listen that Palin is the 'true conservative' and that they don't like McCain at all because he definately isn't conservative.

I'm waiting to see what Palin says about immigration and about the border fence, etc etc. That should be interesting. She'd better be worlds apart from McCain or the republican base may not find her so attractive anymore.

Great thread SENSFAN!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I have to agree with Sky on this one. I imagine one of the first things that happened when it was decided that she'd be the VP candidate was a big sit down where the campaign would sit down and "tweak" her positions to fit with the campaign.

Want stem cell research? Vote McCain/Palin, McCain's all for it.

Think stem cell research is wrong? Vote McCain/Palin, Palin's adamantly against it.

Need an administration with experience? John McCain fought in the French and Indian war.

Looking for "change" over experience? Palin is as fresh as they come.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Yes, a streamlined campaign-by-design. Not that the majority of voters will see this though.

Nice way of putting it Unit451.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
On the issues that McCain and Palin differ, Palin is right on everyone.

Maybe Palin can set McCain straight on these issues!

McCain had to get a conservative on the ticket with him, and he just won the White House by doing it.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

I agree with your statements and I will add that sometimes supporter dont know what the flaws of their own candidates are. In these boards specially of late you see a lot of people that try to act like their candidates are perfect and have no flaws. They want to portray as the other guy who has flaws but not the candidate they support.

I'm leaning towards Sen. Obama on this election but I have carefully studied his plan and there is many things that I dont agree with, that I wish he could change his stance, and there are other that are worrisome to me to a degree but no that much to call them flaws. For example:

- I disagree with Obama on nuclear energy, IMO instead of drill, baby, drill, we should be chanting... lets go nuke, lets go nuke!!

- I disagree with Obama on immigration, I think part of his plan could lead to amnesty and thats a path that we took once and it obviously didnt work.

- It worries me that he want to raise the minimum wage and the effect it could have on the economy specially small bussinesses.

- It worries me his short foreign policy resume.

But after studying his plan and McCain's I think that I agree with more things with Obama, I like his vision and his stance on the issues. At the same time I also recognize that Sen. McCain is a great candidate and if hi is true to his visions from the past then I think this country unlike many others say have two great candidates in front of them, all mudslinging aside I truly believe that.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The reason is very simple.

She is a real Republican and he is a demoncrat in drag.

MCCain the maverick, meet Palin the Republican. She is everything he is not for an outstanding Republican candidate.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sensfan

Thanks sensfan, the differences are important when trying to decide whom to vote for.

Those are clearly issues worth knowing where each candidate stands. Palin seems to be opposite of McCain on key issues where the republicans have expressed disappointment in McCains stances.

So this selection of Palin has rallied the troops in the republican, and from what I can tell from some of the republicans I know, nothing the media can say will change their mind.

Is this strategy going to work? If the media keeps talking about the "difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull" and "lipstick on a pig" the rally may actually make it close. Just my opinion.

top topics

join