It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

180 lb Crossbow - Test, Assembly and Review

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Have you thought about what you could use to fabricate your own projectiles if you found yourself in the situation where you lost your wuiver perhaps?

You mentioned firing BB's...how about pencils or BIC biros with ducktape fletches?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
That's a possibility, the small,pistol-bolts will fit the groove nicely and the string will sit correctly (just) so they should fire.
For pens and pencils I think not, the lack length and weight density makes me suspect whether it won't just fly off at a tangent or, worse still, spin violently on shooting and ricochet off the foot stirrup.
Adding modded flights via duct tape might help.
At our next Survival gathering maybe this might be worth looking into....

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My mate tried out the Xbow late last night.
I warned him 'It generates tons of lift at close range (10 - 40 yards)' but alas my warning did not prevent the garage ventilation exercise that resulted....
Twang! Chish, tinkle ! Whack!

First the window got goosed, then then bolt clouted the concrete back wall! This thing's got power boys!

Would not want to be on the receiving end from this!

'I aimed low, I aimed low!' he kept saying. But I think he kicked up on his supporting arm.

This is what the unfortunate bolt looked like afterwards!

I think its bolting days are over!

The next set of trials will be in a local area at longer ranges. Hopefully away from garages and people!

[edit on 14-9-2008 by WatchRider]

[edit on 14-9-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I never tried this but how would that 180lb Crossbow react when shooting a "50-80lb short arrow bolt"? Is this even safe to tryout?

The 150-180lb arrow bolts are pretty expensive. For 20-30 bucks, you can get a LOT of 120 50-80lb pistol bolts.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
WOW, my eyes!
I tried looking at the crossbow picks but the floral patterns were making me dizzy.

I can't believe you let that sucker fly in such a cramped area. Especially when sighting for the first time. You could've skewered a neighbor or pet easily.

Safety first! Find an open field for anymore testing.

OBTW, it does look really nice. I made a walnut crossbow about twenty years ago. Sitting in my attic along with my compound bow. I need to get them both down and knock the dust off. I spend a lot of time playing with my rifles and pistols and the bows have become neglected.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by on_yur_6]

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
what type of screw driver is that type which you used on that 180lbs crossbow?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Excellent and informative post WatchRider. I recently posted here on Crossbows and found your thread to be very helpful. Star for you

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

The lower poundage arrows are fine for the crossbow, I've had no probs with them.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
what type of screw driver is that type which you used on that 180lbs crossbow?

I used a phillips screwdriver.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Excuse me but I signed up as I stumbled upon this thread and laughed, laughed hard I tell you, at the ignorance in the thread. I would have passed it up but to see the OP continue to pose like he knows something has me in fits.

Firstly this Taiwanese hunk of junk lies. It may say it is "180 lbs" but that big number should NOT be confused with ft/lbs energy impact, which I assure you is MUCH lower for this product. The 180 is the draw, which MUSTbe high because the limbs are not efficient.. this is no advantage. It's either that or an outside marketing gimmick lie for the rambo watching instant gratification buyer. Their website tells you, had you looked, the actual SPEED is 165 F.P.S (foot per second). This is what really matters but you haven't mentioned its FPS anywhere. When you see 180 lbs - 165 FPS is telling you one of two things; the manufacturer assumes you know nothing about crossbows and put a big number there, or that the crossbow has no efficiency. By contract my crossbow, a crossbow that is a genuine full size crossbow, the Barnett Revolution has a 150 lb draw weight.. less than yours.. but Guess what??!11 It fires at 340FPS repeatedly with fieldtips (and I actually have a chrono). For reference this FPS is over twice that of yours.

People in this thread have said crickey the OP could hunt a deer with that. WRONG. You need AT LEAST 200 FPS before you stand a chance of bleeding big game and that is an extremely conservative number. 280fps is getting there for a 6 pointer. 165 would only mildly injure a yearling
What use is that? Moreover this crossbow specs state it fires a field tip 18 incher at 165 FPS.. such a bolt is useless on big game. Your crossbow therefore would FAIL with a necessary broadhead, wobbling along at around 80FPS before hitting the ground.

Next point is that the watchrider writes that the manual "imples" (as in does not say at all) that zeroing should occur at 50 - 100 yards. LOL. 50 yard is the maximum EFFECTIVE hunting range of a 350F.P.S crossbow, nevermind your toy. You wrote this nonsense about zeroing in at 100 yards to insinuate how big and strong your "180 pounds (of something)" toy is. Fail.

Also WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING MASKING TAPING THAT CRAP ONTO YOUR LIMBS? Even a weak bow like yours is as risk of breaking apart when fiddled under stress. Does it come manufactured with things taped onto it? No? OK so leave it. Accessories are one thing, but if you can't actually forge real ones then leave out the DIY attempt. Especially since I can say with 100% certainty that taping that crap on is BADLY effecting what must already be low accuracy at over 10 yards.

Now the Watchrider obviously likes to prance around pretending he is ready for the SHTF.. taking photos in that urban home does not make you the expert you have made out to be. Let's get this straight.. You recieved the mail order package. You then go outside and fire at what appears to be 20 yards STRAIGHT INTO A WOODEN WALL LOL.. there goes your bolts.. Let's see, you drilled them out.. but they are SCREWED up all the same right, you didn't mention that LOL. Have you heard of a BACKSTOP? This is mine, in case you need a pointer or two;

BTW what happened to picture 3, after you had zeroed in this fine piece of equipment? No pic? Did you A) Miss the wall entirely B) Miss where you aimed thus prooving you can not zero as you have no experience but just like to use cool tactical words like clicks or C) not take the shot because you couldn't afford any more bolts?
The lesson learnt, which you won't admit, is you should do some research before buying a crossbow. And don't go for cheap. You should also prepare somewhere to shoot. And if you want to do a "test, assembly and review" then you need more than a camera, you need EXPERIENCE.. experience that is not attained by firing 2 (maybe 3) arrows into a wall on the first day.

[edit on 3-11-2009 by Actualiser]

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Actualiser

Coming on here and posting on this thread about someone's mistakes or lack of experience does not make you a model for survival either when the SHTF.

Yes Watchrider may of made some mistakes but instead of just sitting up there in your ivory tower, why not give him advice on what can be done to improve his x box and target etc , etc, I mean come on, you must be an expert to sit their and just laugh at someone.

I'm not here to cause an argument but I like to learn and if you have the expertise in the field of Xbow's why not start your own thread. Show us what to do and what not to do.

Regards.

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I have a Quad 400 lazer sighted lots of fun.
It's probably a little more bulky then yours though.
Very nice silence is deadly.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm sorry to say this but for someone who is new to these forums you will soon learn that being rude and sarcastic will get you anywhere!!!

If you have a good knowledge of Crossbows that’s great... but you should try being constructive in you criticism and should not laugh at what you see as others mistakes.

I belong to a Gun club and regularly go clay shooting. Fortunately before you are allowed near a shotgun you are given training in its use and have to sit through a health and safety course (Gun Safety and Handling for Beginners) We then have registered safety officers present at all open practice shoots.

In the world of crossbows you do not get this! Anyone can buy a crossbow and then has to learn for themselves. Sure there are archery clubs were people will happily give you advice. But most people do not realise this when purchasing their first Bow.

So... cut the guy some slack... he may have got a few things wrong (which I agree with) but trying to belittle him in front of everybody serves no purpose and can often just isolate people.

To the OP... I have S + F you because i can see that you have put i lot of thought into your post and that you mean well.

However, i would strongly recommend that you find a club to join were you will find experts who are happy to share their knowledge.

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
He should have displayed some humility. A picture of the crossbow in its box would have been the truth. Then he could have asked the forum, "WTF did I just purchase and what to do next?" But no, he markets this product solely on the basis that he bought it himself. Not to mention he perpetuates the same myths not just in other threads on this site but I have actually seen him do it on another (DavidIke).. On that site he said something like "This is a REAL KILLER crossbow".. So the second time I saw it I just exploded. I don't intend to get along with people, I just tell it like it is.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

So let me get this straight.
You are very p!ssed off that the OP brought something, tried it out, posted some photo's of what he had done.
You are annoyed that the OP has little experience and instead of asking advice, he goes ahead and does what he does.

Like I said before, you are attempting to come across as some sort of x bow expert.
Ok start a thread on a cross bow and show us what you bought, how you aim, what sort of game you think you can take down with it. etc etc, If you want to feel great about someone asking advice, here I am.

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Wow looks powerful.

Be careful with that thing

posted on Nov, 6 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

So let me get this straight.
You are very p!ssed off that the OP brought something, tried it out, posted some photo's of what he had done.
You are annoyed that the OP has little experience and instead of asking advice, he goes ahead and does what he does.

I'm annoyed that he spreads falsehoods, when he clearly knows himself that he is making it up as he goes along. He is setting himself up to look like an expert which means more poor sods will make the same mistake as him. He also gives dangerous advice, in regard to taping things. He makes things up. That's a lot more than "does what he does". I am done justifying myself. *snip*

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory
2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on Sun Nov 8 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

Thought so, it did seem that there must be more to the story than just a random attack on someone.
It also explains why he would not put a thread up about cross bows and what he would do...

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
OK, guys let's Stop the Personal Sniping

Please address the topic, and not the poster.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join