Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Gov. Palin the "reformer" is actually an earmark champion!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Instead, earmarks — pet projects that members of Congress fund but that no federal agency has requested — have become a mainstay of political life here, and one that Palin embraced from early on in her career as a mayor of Wasilla to the governor's mansion in Juneau.

Just this year, she sent to Sen. Ted. Stevens, R-Alaska, a proposal for 31 earmarks totaling $197 million — more, per person, than any other state

No wonder she refuses to take question from reporters on the campaign trail or give interviews. The self proclaimed "reformer" actually sends its senators in quest to receive more earmarks than any other state.

Receiving $197 million dollars of "pork" THIS YEAR!!! Just to satisfy her constituency but contributing to the FEDERAL BUDGET DEFICIT, so meaning we all are paying for Gov.Palin Alaka pet projects like:

-$499,900 to assess halibut harvesting

- Lighting village airports in the Alaskan bush, where small planes and gravel runways may be the primary link to the outside world.

What's the result of Gov. Palin love for earmarks?

As a result, Alaska this year was in such a money-flushed condition — with no state income tax or sales tax and total state revenues of $10 billion, double the previous year's — that Palin gained legislative approval for $1,200 cash payments to every Alaskan.

In addition, each Alaska resident gets an annual dividend check, about $2,000 this year, from Alaska's oil-wealth savings account, known as the Permanent Fund, now fattened to more than $35 billion.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

And on TOP OF THAT they got the same stimulus check that we all got this past summer.

No wonder why they dont want to talk about issues, or Gov. Palin record, and any comment against her they would raise the gender card.

The fact are clear, she is just a mouthpiece nothing more, actions are louder than words.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I want to move to Alaska now, I really need some of that spare change she is handling around.

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!Palin the Saviour

Isn't that how you get to influence the votes of the population?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Talking about buying your votes!! Now wonder she has an approval raiting in Alaska of above 80%.

Alaskans lover her, while she raids the FEDERAL GOVERNENT coffins, increase our deficit and make ALL OF US pay for her approval rating.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Now that you mentioned, well, it seems that we can pretty much can see why she is soooooo popular!!!!!!!!!

You are right, money talks and you know who walks.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Good digging. That combined with her spending habits, on herself, really show her true colors. And again, this wouldnt be such a big deal if she wasnt on that straight talk express. Its hypocrisy at its finest.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

Alaskans lover her, while she raids the FEDERAL GOVERNENT coffins, increase our deficit and make ALL OF US pay for approval rating.

I think it works like this.

States can request whatever they want. I believe it was Obama and Biden who had to make the final decision on how to spend government money. I'm pretty sure governors don't get to raid the Federal Government "coffins."

By the way, did Obama and Biden vote to approve the earmarks Palin requested. Just curious.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The idea of an "Earmark" is supposed to consist of wasteful spending brought about just to appease those within a Representative's Home District. However, every single Representative has to do SOMETHING for their Constituents in order to payback the very fact that they elected them. An "Earmark" again, is something which is unnecessary, and frivolous. From most of what I have seen, Palin increased the Rail infrastructure between Wasilla and neighboring towns, she put forth funding to upgrade the Dispatch Center in Wasilla, and she even funded a Community Center to help Juveniles once they become discharged from the local Detention Facility. The "enormous" Price Tag is due to the sheer fact that Alaska is still a Frontier with an Infrastructure in the Making, and thus the cost of everything is a Denali Summit higher than anything in the Lower 48.

To even hear you complain about Alaskans getting money, and an improved infrastructure is ridiculous. Go try and live up there. You still have entire Villages, Towns, and Communities with absolutely no Plumbing, unreliable Electricity at best, and spotty Television reception if Any. We are talking about a State where you need a Bush Plane just to make it to a Hospital in most areas, and a long-drive does not consist of any rest-stops, and most certainly not a nice McDonald's or Starbucks. A vast Majority of living in Alaska is sustenance based, with plenty of residents still relying on snares and guns to catch meals. For all of the Modern living in Anchorage, Juneau, and much of Fairbanks, you still have an entire State full of People getting by and making do with what only many in the Lower 48 could ever imagine.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Yes, earmarks can be good or bad. And Palin might have been just doing her job giving Alaskans a better life. But McCain is preaching that the first earmark he sees, he's vetoing... It could be the greatest way the gov would spend money in out history, but he's vetoing it... Fine. The hypocrisy is what is the problem here.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   

- Lighting village airports in the Alaskan bush, where small planes and gravel runways may be the primary link to the outside world.

Wow, that is such an "Earmark". It sure sounds like improving the quality (not to mention safety) of life, but I guess that is no concern of yours, seeing how removed it is from your life.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Thats all good and everything, BUT it goes directly to her credibility. She was the one that annointed herself as a "reformer". Did you read about what she did with the money? If she was worried about this country and had no need for the earmark money instead of buying herself an 80% approval rating she should had give it back to a Federal government that is in ruins, thanks to the current republican administration.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Those are projects that could easily had been paid with State money. How? Instead of giving fat checks to the state residents, use that money to pay for your projects. Listen, I know what earmarks are and the use that is given to the money some are legitimate needs but the majority are not. The fact is that she is trying to portrait herself as something she is not. In lamer terms, she is lying to me, to you and to all.

It comes back to politicians (and that what she is, don't forget that) would do anything to get elected, and lying comes easy, even to Gov. Palin.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I wrote a thread about earmarks and all this complaining about earmarks. Some earmarks are just a waste of money but some are for good reasons. But how can you separate the two if they are still earmarks.

Here's my thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It got no replies but I feel that all this earmark complaining about any candidate is overdoing it and tried to emphasize that in this thread.

All politicians do it. In addition why do we not criticize the earmarks that Our representatives get for our individuals States but do criticize the earmarks that go to other states. We should clean up our own house before we complain about other people houses.

Lastly, do our politicians even have a definition for earmarks. You may see an earmark as waste and I may see it as beneficial. What exactly is an earmark.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Some earmarks are just a waste of money but some are for good reasons.

True, so the McCain/Palin ticket shouldn't have grouped them all together and used it as a campaign point, should they? It makes them look like the hypocrites they are, doesn't it?

They are condemning the very actions that they themselves have taken to make it look like they're the candidates of change! They're campaigning against themselves! LOL

It's become GOP standard operating procedure because it works. Look at Mark Foley, Ted Haggard, Larry Craig and now John McCain and Sarah Palin.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Receiving $197 million dollars of "pork" THIS YEAR!!! Just to satisfy her constituency but contributing to the FEDERAL BUDGET DEFICIT, so meaning we all are paying for Gov.Palin Alaka pet projects like:

-$499,900 to assess halibut harvesting

Poor examples, if your intent is to smear her.

The fishing industry is huge in Alaska. And lighting airport runways is a safety issue.

Excellent use of taxpayer money, imo.

Also, keeping it in context, let's look at Obama's earmarks:

The GOP ticket spent another day on the trail together and Sarah Palin again attacked Barack Obama on earmark requests. This time her hit was harder and she compared it to what she was doing to fight pork barrel spending in Alaska:

“In just three years our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks. That’s nearly a million dollars for every working day,” Palin told the cheering crowd, “So as we reform the abusive earmarks in our state our opponent was requesting nearly a billion dollars in earmarks as a senatorial privilege as I was vetoing half a billion as an executive responsibility.”

embeds.blogs.foxnews.com...

Nearly a million dollars a day!!

What's the result of Gov. Palin love for earmarks?

As a result, Alaska this year was in such a money-flushed condition — with no state income tax or sales tax and total state revenues of $10 billion, double the previous year's — that Palin gained legislative approval for $1,200 cash payments to every Alaskan.

Wow! Returning the surplus to the people!
Imagine when she is VP!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

The article that I quoted on my OP gives you a very clear definition of what an earmark is, go back and read it. I agree that many politicians used them and some of them are legitimate the overwhelming majority of them are not, they are use just to maintain your constituency happy like this case here.

Earmarks sadly have become part of doing bussiness in D.C. And for Palin to get in the biggest stage she has set foot, in her first chance that she had to introduce herself to the nation and outright lie to the country proclaiming herself as a "reformer" and an agent of change only goes to show you what she really is, just another politician trying to move up.

The press is dying to ask her questions about this issue and she so far has refused to answer questions to reporters during campaign stops or news shows. Why?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

My intent is no to smear, the facts speak for themselves!

And yes she gave money to the people, but a the expense of every resident of the other 49 states and our national debt! Is that what the GOP call fiscal responsibility? Haven't you been paying attention to the last 8 years of republican administration?

Yeah! Four more years of that and we going to have our country foreclose by China.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I can not wait to see Palin tasting the real money in Washington not the small town money, but the really money the lobbyist that parade Washington everyday when congress is open for business, I bet to you that she will become is not already another Washington hungry and power ridden bureaucrat.

She has the makings already.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I don't want that definition.

I want you to give me the definition that Congress uses to define earmarks. They are the ones dishing out the money.

As a Governor, one would be crazy to turn down money that your representative has acquired for your state regardless of reason. If you notice she turned down the bridge but found a way to keep the money.

Once again it is legal for Congress to do earmarks project.

All politicians are trying to move up.

BH, I must agree with you. They shouldn't have grouped them together. But just as well they shouldn't separate them either. Congress has no set definition of what an earmark is and saying that this is pork and this is not is
a very debatable issue. One state may see Alaska's earmarks as Pork yet consider their own as beneficial. There is hypocrisy in all of this by both parties.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Can you please answer the main argument??? The clear statement here is as follows...

Palin, has had a big history of earmarks. (like many politicians including Obama)

McCain has had a clear history of little to no earmarks (good for him)

McCain says he will veto the first bill that comes his way with an earmark.

McCain pick Gov. Palin as his running mate.

Palin's history ( whether they be good or bad earmarks) goes against the straight talk express..

The argument here is not whether these earmarks are bad... Its the hypocrisy of the straight talk express.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

My intent is no to smear, the facts speak for themselves!

And yes she gave money to the people, but a the expense of every resident of the other 49 states and our national debt!

Unless you can prove that none of the other 49 states took a single earmark, your statement is patently false.

And on TOP OF THAT they got the same stimulus check that we all got this past summer.

Did they not pay the same federal taxes that other Americans paid? I don't remember the stimulus payments being linked in any way to the state's fiscal solvency, were they?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join