It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nobody except McCain's family knows what war is like

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Two issues here.

First, McCain has stated a few times that using their families in this race is reprehensible and should not be done...most of this said after stories of Palin's daughter started coming out.

But if he truly believes this, why is his daughter on The Today Show giving an interview? That being said, I think she is fair game...so...

In her interview, she states the following...

"I have two brothers serving in the military--one that's about to redeploy to Iraq," she went on. "My father's obviously a famous war hero. No one knows what war is like other than my family, period."

So, according to her, only the McCain family knows what war is like. I agree that McCain served his country very well, and I commend him for that, but to say that only their family knows what war is like is one of the stupidest things I have heard in a while. I guess all other families that have had their sons and daughters serve, and in some cases die fighting for their country have no idea about war and what it's like.

Just another sign that the McCain clan isn't in touch with your average American.

Nobody knows what war is like but us

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Although families are strictly off limits, yes, I do agree that a public statement given by a grown daughter is within a debatable context.

However, I also believe she simply mis-spoke, and what she meant to say was:

"I have two brothers serving in the military--one that's about to redeploy to Iraq," she went on. "My father's obviously a famous war hero. No one knows what war is like more than my family, period."

Say what you will, but that is my interpretation.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'll give you that...she may have mis-spoke, but even if she meant what you think she meant, I don't agree with it. I'm sure there are many families out there that have lost loved ones (and more than one) or have several family members serving that just might know a little more about war than she and her family does.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This one of the reason that family members of political candidates should be seen but no heard and they should keep their mouth shuts.

Always is going to be problems when they speak out of their minds and harts and not with well written by experts speeches.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
I'll give you that...she may have mis-spoke, but even if she meant what you think she meant, I don't agree with it. I'm sure there are many families out there that have lost loved ones (and more than one) or have several family members serving that just might know a little more about war than she and her family does.

That is true in many ways. However, in my view she is really just sticking up for her father, and trying to relay the message that he, and her entire family for that matter, are not insensitive to the struggles and worries faced by the Military and their loved ones. Much of the criticism heaped onto Bureaucrats now-a-days (and often times rightly so), is that they simply look upon our Military personnel as nothing more than a write-off on a piece of paper. This in my opinion is what McCain's daughter was trying to emphasize, in that her father and family do not hold such shallow beliefs.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I was embarrassed for her when I heard her say this.

But you know, I know, marge knows and Agent Nineteen knows that she didn't mean what she implied ANY MORE THAN Obama meant to imply that Sarah Palin was a pig or Tony Snow meant to imply something about black people when he uttered the words "tar baby".

I'm not jumping on anyone, but I think we ALL need to deny ignorance and realize that these gaffes we're concentrating on are JUST what the bottom-feeders behind the 527 groups want us to concentrate on.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I can't say for sure what she meant, but I can guess she was referring to the candidates in this election.

I.e., McCain and his family know what war is like far more than Obama, yet McCain is being labeled as a war-monger or somebody who is callous to the consequences of war.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
Two issues here.

First, McCain has stated a few times that using their families in this race is reprehensible and should not be done...most of this said after stories of Palin's daughter started coming out.

But if he truly believes this, why is his daughter on The Today Show giving an interview? That being said, I think she is fair game...so...

I don't think McCain's daughter speaking on her Dad's behalf makes her anymore of a legitimate target than Barack's wife speaking on her husband's behalf. That would just open up a whole new can of worms like the attacks being directed toward Sarah Palin's family which are reprehensible.

So, according to her, only the McCain family knows what war is like. I agree that McCain served his country very well, and I commend him for that, but to say that only their family knows what war is like is one of the stupidest things I have heard in a while. I guess all other families that have had their sons and daughters serve, and in some cases die fighting for their country have no idea about war and what it's like.

Just another sign that the McCain clan isn't in touch with your average American.

I think it's simply a case of a daughter supporting her father, and being proud of their family's military record. If I had two four star admirals and a real war hero in my family, I'd certainly be proud. My Grandfather, my Father, older brother, and my sister have all served in the military, and I found nothing offensive in her remarks. She's not a politician or a professional speech maker, so I cut her a little slack.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I can't say for sure what she meant, but I can guess she was referring to the candidates in this election.

I.e., McCain and his family know what war is like far more than Obama, yet McCain is being labeled as a war-monger or somebody who is callous to the consequences of war.

Perhaps being labeled as a war monger or callous has something to do with the "bomb bomb bomb Iran" statement.

Like I said in the OP, she may have mis spoke, but it's just another example of why families, and those not knowing the issues shouldn't be thrust into the limelight during the election.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Yea she was just trying to further speak on what McCain was saying in his speech at the RNC. He knows war and hates war. So his daughter tried to realy that message in another way.

Shes a smart girl. She understand there are at least 4,000 families right now who know a thing or two about the worst of war. And about 125,000 more who know a thing or two about war as well. I dont think she believes that her family is above them at all.

Mis -statement and nothing more. A smart girl trying to play politics is all here.

But I thought obama's lipstick comment wasnt sexist, so what do I know?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I was embarrassed for her when I heard her say this.
Why were you embarrassed for her? She's not a professional speech maker. I sure she's very proud of her family's record of military service. She misspoke as most amateur speech givers do.

Talking in front of crowds isn't her normal occupation, so it was a honest mistake a lot of people make.

top topics

join