It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Russian Space Shuttle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Russia has finally decide to create a new space shuttle. Apparently the one they've been using has been form a 1960's design. Enjoy.
news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040319/ap_on_sc/russia_new_spacecraft_1

posted on Mar, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
great!

"Energiya engineers were also working on a huge spaceship for a flight to Mars, set to weigh 660 tons"

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
>Sigh< Our Russian friends are always promising big things, and I'm sure they would be able to deliver... if only they had the funding. My money is on the Soyuz carrying on for at least the next 10 years... unless they've had this thing ready to go for a while.

Still, I would love to see it fly. If I make stupid amounts of money, I may buy one for my own personal excursions.

>EDIT<

Of course, there's a big leap to be made when you use a 60s design for a 21st century spacecraft! I guess they're only using the basic principles behind it.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by Lampyridae]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
They had a shuttle similar to ours, it flew and landed 1 unmanned mission and was cancelled because of no funds. Says something about their skills when we never have launched and landed a shuttle unmanned. Its a shame that the world isnt pitching in the name of space exploration.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
www.russianspaceweb.com... here it is, the new spacecraft "Kliper", wait until teh graphic loads..

www.astronautix.com... more info

Kliper Cutaway

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Is it just me, or does it look like a star trek shuttlepod?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The original russian space shuttle which was copied from ours, flew 1 mission, ran out of funding, and is now in the middle of a park in russia, moscow or close to it i think

PEACE!How you doin'?

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
They will never finish it. They dont have enough money to finish it, or maybe even start it

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The Russian economy has grown stronger in recent years.

In 2002, their annual GDP was $1.409 trillion ($9749.09 per person)

That is much lower than the US $10.45 trillion ($35991.96 per person) but their economy is growing.
Their GDP was up 7.3% in 2003 and is expected to rise by 6.4% in 2004.

They may soon have the money in their budget to get their space agency running properly again.

Links: www.nationmaster.com...
www.interfax.ru...

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Not only that
They aren't designing that thing out of nothing
There is no tech necessary that russia will have to develope first except for that parachute but that's an easy one and as you can read herewww.astronautix.com...

The expendable PAO service module. This essentially consisted of a Soyuz orbital module mounted within a cyclindrical fairing

they will also use parts from the soyuz that have been tested in use for decades

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
First of all please children stop scream and bashing.

Second is that Russia had alot of experence with shuttles and this one is not any worse then the last one.

This one have room for 6 vs. 3 in the last one.

Also it will be much more modern.

Out,
Russian

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
The ISS is sapping any remaining energy the Russians have, so I dont think this will go very far, the Soyuz is doing fine.

join