It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Bill Could Strip D.C. Of Control!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Gun Bill Could Strip D.C. Of Control!!!

www.washingtonpost.com

Congress plans to take up a bill this week that would repeal the District's gun-registration requirements and make it easier for residents to legally buy semiautomatic weapons, raising alarm among city officials that the measure would effectively end local gun control.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It seems some in our government are tired of DC's eliteists ignoring our laws and doing damn near anything they feel like to further they're controll over our nations Capital. I hope this passes. The machinations of the Police Chief and the mayor to circumvent the latest SCOTUS ruling has finaly pissed off the lion!

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Good. There is absolutely no reason that tax paying, law abiding citizens shouldn't be able to own guns.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Given the DC governments' ridiculous response to the Heller ruling (they changed the law from making it impossible to legally obtain a firearm to "next to impossible") for once I am rooting for Congress.

Laws that limit the rights of law-abiding citizens in the name of controlling crime or terrorism are always a bad idea, whether they come from the left or from the right.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I hope that people realize that this is likely to affect more than just Washington DC itself...If it passes Congress (even if Bush vetoes it but it passes Congress again) then it'll be Law on all federal zones of jurisdiction, even the parcels of land that the States have given over to federal control!

So, as quoted from the article in the OP, "...raising alarm among city officials that the measure would effectively end local gun control," I would guess that such legislation would/should alarm the officials who are power-mad: After all, it'll be much harder to violate the Bill of Rights (especially the 4th Amendment) & raid peoples' homes (on federal territory, at least) if they realize that the people can actually defend themselves...[sarcasm]Oh, perish forbid that the plebs can actually fight back when we attack![/sarcasm]

I've noticed that Congress & Judiciary are starting to get some teeth back after Bush's push for tyranny with the Patriot Act, Military Commissions Act, various signing statements & Executive Orders that had effectively neutered these two Branches. After all, if Bush can bypass Judicial review over "enemy combatants" (denying the Due Process of Law & Right to Trial) & enforce his own "policies" as if they were Law (stripping Congress of the Power of Legislation), then what next would Bush (or the next President) do with such "useless appendages?" They'd be obsolete, powerless...Expendable!

Congress would do much better to repeal the Patriot Act & the Military Commissions Act as well as restore the Rule Of Law over the government on the whole, but "you gotta start somewhere." If the Judiciary would just declare those Acts as Unconstitutional, then Congressional Repeal would not be necessary, because Congress cannot "repeal" that which the Judiciary has voided outright.

It seems that, as the people are waking up, so too are the representative-minded officers still in government. I just hope that it's not to late to stop the tyranny before the "consolidated Executive" actually solidifies itself. It seems that Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich (& the very few others like them) are making more progress in Constitutional enforcement than the rest of the Executive Branch is willing to admit!

As the government had been disrespecting the Law, that same attitude started showing up in the general public as well...So if the government restores respect for the Law within itself, then that in turn will show up in the public as well. But we must also not forget that if it weren't for the People starting to call for government accountability, then this trend would never have started. Maybe we still have some hope after all...

[edit on 10-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

top topics

join