It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose Your House, Lose Your Vote!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
reply to post by fleabit

Understood...BUT once upon a time they used to quiz African Americans at the voting boothe on the constitution and give them a reading test.

It was a form of humiliation aimed at suppressing specific demographics of voters.

People who have suffered financially are likely to be looking for dramatic change in DC.

I can't help but believe their is a shame factor at having someone announce your home was foreclosed on when you go to the polling station.

The way this was announced in advance makes me believe it is a subtle form of Voter suppression. If it is a legitimate concern then they can simply ask for proof of current residence without checking foreclosure notices. Social Security/Voter Registration/Drivers Liscense Numbers would seem sufficient to exclude double voting without the public shaming.

Yeah, and once upon time you had to be a white, male, property owner to vote. What's your point? Whatever happened in the 1920's has nothing to do with TODAY's VOTING LAWS!

There is NO PUBLIC SHAMING! They are not going to stand on their chair and state, "EXCUSE ME!!! This person here, Mr. Smith, had his home forclosed on! Did everyone hear that? Mr. Smith is trying to vote illegally AND he had his home forclosed on!"

First of all, the registration table is supposed to be a minimum of ten feet away from the line to ensure confidentiality. Second of all, all of those documents that you described are VOLUNTARILY registered by the person, meaning that if they haven't taken the time to inform SSA, DMV or BOE of their address change, the documents would be incorrect. This is NOT a doubl voting issue as much as it is to ensure that epople are voting in the proper district which is 100% in keeping with the laws!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If you go to the polls, use your address and they find that address on a foreclosure list this IS NOT proof that you are using a fraudulent address.

Just because your home is on a foreclosure list does not in any way mean you do not live there anymore. You can have your home foreclosed on and still live there while trying to negotiate a way out of it or trying to find a new place to live.

That is why this whole thing of getting this list to prevent voter fraud is bogus. Unless they are going to look into every case to see if the person still physically lives there, which I doubt.

I you read my previous post you would have seen the snip from the very same article being discussed here where a man said there is no legal basis to void someone's vote because their address is on a list.

Case in point: I have a coworker whose house is being foreclosed and HE STILL LIVES THERE. So he if he votes and that address is on a list, it doesn't count? This is absolutely bogus.

There are a lot of people whose houses were foreclosed on and they still live in the house. That is what matters here.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
And so we fall back to the days of our "founding fathers" where everyone must own land to vote; that way all of the poor and downtrod have no say in the future that affects them so greatly, and the wealthy control the vote. As said by James Madison when deciding who should be allowed to vote...

The right of suffrage is a fundamental Article in Republican Constitutions. The regulation of it is, at the same time, a task of peculiar delicacy. Allow the right [to vote] exclusively to property [owners], and the rights of persons may be oppressed... . Extend it equally to all, and the rights of property [owners] ...may be overruled by a majority without property....

It seems the GOP may be looking for a loophole to "win over" this recently Democratic voting state. The fact that 2008 poles show that the state is a swing state may have both parties nervously hoping for the 17 electoral votes that Michigan has to offer. However, this should not allow them to take away voting rights for those that will probably vote against them. I understand that voters need to have proof of residency, but this is beyond shocking to me.
It does not seem fair, when this election affects the less fortunate perhaps more than it does the wealthy. I live in Michigan, and I have seen what the past 8 years has done to my state. (We voted Democratic for both of GWB's elections) People are trying to escape, but by doing so they are saving themselves, while harming the rest of us. Some cannot even save themselves. They have to sell their homes, since they are moving and cannot pay two mortgages. This leaves foreclosure as their only option since people are simply not buying houses. Some houses have been on the market for years without selling. It would be a great time to buy a house as an investor if looking at the prices - tons of houses selling well below value - but who knows if the house would sell again any time soon. Just driving around in the larger cities a person cannot pass a street and not see a for sale sign, if not several for sale signs.
Need a job in Michigan? Good luck! Layoffs are occurring left and right, sometimes ending in permanent unemployment. Lose your job? Prepare to lose your house. Lose your house? Now prepare to lose your vote. Lose your vote? Now prepare for things to stay the same, if not get worse.
I hate to see this beautiful state suffer from all of this, and I find it hard not to blame certain people or political parties... After reading this post I don't think I can NOT blame the GOP. They know that this state is in peril and they are going to take advantage of it! The people that need a change will not be able to vote for one! It makes me sick to think that they would go so low.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by justxxme

I could not have said it better myself. I fully agree with you. I am glad that this was not a one line post.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I thought the Lipstick thread was bad,this is just plain lame to not think that these people are just trying to prevent fruadulent voteing.And on top of it all you have some who turned it into a race issue.
I wondered what the Libs were going to do when there numbers started to slide but trying to make this into takeing away votes and racisem is truely lame and I think will just drive the undecided to McCain or away from Obama.
You people are really running scared and you will destory Obama with this crap,allthough he is doing a bangup job on himself.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The Madness Ends Today

Thread Closed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join