It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming/Cooling? + An E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event) for Dec 2012?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
www.unexplainable.net...

There have been many predictions of an "Extinction Level Event" in or around December 2012 and the above news story taken from a NASA press release seems to give the first indications of such an event timed perfectly with the Mayan predictions.

Whilst played down by NASA in terms of effect, one would not expect NASA to make a statement like "the world may be partly destroyed" because of the fear of mass panic throughout the population. However an event like this can cause major pole shifts, fires in the sky and the extinction of the human race, but hey let's not worry! lol

Ross

[edit on 10-9-2008 by nomadrush]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They don't have a clue whats happening. We just had a sunspot free month(first time in 95 years) and are now estimating that it could be lower than normal sunspot activity. The last time that this happened was the mini ice age that hit Europe. Only time will tell though as estimating models have had to be redone and if none of these new models pan out, it just proves us humans don't really have a clue.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by airteck]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by airteck

That's very interesting, as a UK scientist based near here in Glastonbury, has said for the past four years that they have it wrong about "Global Warming" and that we are facing "global cooling on a massive level".

I also read a recent report that says the last ice-age actually happened very quickly, probably within a 12 month period and not over years as was previously thought.

Ross

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Here's the original NASA announcement:

science.nasa.gov...

But on the other hand, some are predicting a very different outcome for the earth from solar cycle 24. Far from being "one of the most intense cycles since records began" it's so far been very remarkably quiet, leading some to suggest a new mini ice age .....

network.nationalpost.com...

Whether this lack of solar activity means anything for 2012 I couldn't say.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I tell you - with all this doom and gloom prediction stuff around at the moment, think I'll go buy myself a deep underground bunker and come out in 2020 lol!

Ross

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Your thread title is a bit misleading, but this is very interesting nonetheless. I would hope for the ice age science to gain interest. I fear people will not open your thread thinking it's more apocalypse related.

I do believe global warming has become a money machine for certain people.
It's good to see actuality getting some press.

On a side note: I'm very small. I once saw a tweety bird cartoon where he tied some spoons to his feet and used them for snowshoes. Do you think this would work for me?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Noted and yes the headline was to grab attention and cause debate.

As for the spoon snow-shoes - you'd need BIG spoons lol

Ross

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hi OP

I nearly bypassed your thread, simply because of the inclusion of 2012 alongside ELE.

There's just so much 2012 stuff on ATS .. as you said yourself 'doom and gloom' abounds.

A thread title such as 'Alleged Global Warming Could Actually Be Global Cooling' on the other hand, would have had me clicking on the thread without reservation

If you don't see the clicks stacking up, maybe it will be because others have had an overdose of 2012 too .. although I'm confident many would be extremely interested in the thread content, were they to read it

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Here's a good read on whats happening.

source

Today, the Space and Science Research Center, (SSRC) in Orlando, Florida announces that it has confirmed the recent web announcement of NASA solar physicists that there are substantial changes occurring in the sun’s surface. The SSRC has further researched these changes and has concluded they will bring about the next climate change to one of a long lasting cold era.

Today, Director of the SSRC, John Casey has reaffirmed earlier research he led that independently discovered the sun’s changes are the result of a family of cycles that bring about climate shifts from cold climate to warm and back again.

“We today confirm the recent announcement by NASA that there are historic and important changes taking place on the sun’s surface. This will have only one outcome - a new climate change is coming that will bring an extended period of deep cold to the planet. This is not however a unique event for the planet although it is critically important news to this and the next generations. It is but the normal sequence of alternating climate changes that has been going on for thousands of years. Further according to our research, this series of solar cycles are so predictable that they can be used to roughly forecast the next series of climate changes many decades in advance. I have verified the accuracy of these cycles’ behavior over the last 1,100 years relative to temperatures on Earth, to well over 90%.”

As to what these changes are Casey says, “The sun’s surface flows have slowed dramatically as NASA has indicated. This process of surface movement, what NASA calls the “conveyor belt” essentially sweeps up old sunspots and deposits new ones. NASA’s studies have found that when the surface movement slows down, sunspot counts drop significantly. All records of sunspot counts and other proxies of solar activity going back 6,000 years clearly validates our own findings that when we have sunspot counts lower then 50 it means only one thing - an intense cold climate, globally. NASA says the solar cycle 25, the one after the next that starts this spring will be at 50 or lower. The general opinion of the SSRC scientists is that it could begin even sooner within 3 years with the next solar cycle 24. What we are saying today is that my own research and that of the other scientists at the SSRC verifies that NASA is right about one thing – a solar cycle of 50 or lower is headed our way. With this next solar minimum predicted by NASA, what I call a “solar hibernation,” the SSRC forecasts a much colder Earth just as it has transpired before for thousands of years. If NASA is the more accurate on the schedule, then we may see even warmer temperatures before the bottom falls out. If the SSRC and other scientists around the world are correct then we have only a few years to prepare before 20-30 years of lasting and possibly dangerous cold arrive.”

When asked about what this will mean to the average person on the street, Casey was firm. “The last time this particular cycle regenerated was over 200 years ago. I call it the “Bi-Centennial Cycle” solar cycle. It took place between 1793 and 1830, the so-called Dalton Minimum, a period of extreme cold that resulted in what historian John D. Post called the ‘last great subsistence crisis.’ With that cold came massive crops losses, food riots, famine and disease. I believe this next climate change will be much stronger and has the potential to once more cause widespread crop losses globally with the resultant ill effects. The key difference for this next Bi-Centennial Cycle’s impact versus the last is that we will have over 8 billion mouths to feed in the next coldest years where as we had only 1 billion the last time. Among other effects like social and economic disruption, we are facing the real prospect of the ‘perfect storm of global food shortages’ in the next climate change. In answer to the question, everyone on the street will be affected.”

Given the importance of the next climate change Casey was asked whether the government has been notified. “Yes, as soon as my research revealed these solar cycles and the prediction of the coming cold era with the next climate change, I notified all the key offices in the Bush administration including both parties in the Senate and House science committees as well as most of the nation’s media outlets. Unfortunately, because of the intensity of coverage of the UN IPCC and man made global warming during 2007, the full story about climate change is very slow in getting told. These changes in the sun have begun. They are unstoppable. With the word finally starting to get out about the next climate change, hopefully we will have time to prepare. Right now, the newly organized SSRC is the leading independent research center in the US and possibly worldwide, that is focused on the next climate change. Some of the world’s brightest scientists, also experts in solar physics and the next climate change have joined with me. In the meantime we will do our best to spread the word along with NASA and others who can see what is about to take place for the Earth’s climate. Soon, I believe this will be recognized as the most important climate story of this century.”

If this does turn out to be the truth. The amount of food stocks would have to be planned out before it's too late(if not already). Billions of people and we already have food shortages, this would cause problems beyond comprehension. Global warming doesn't effect crops as much as the cold.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Have re-titled the thread as suggested.

Ross

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think it was Maurice Cotterell who first proposed that the Mayans predicted some sort of earth changes in association with the end of their 13th b'ak'tun in 2012 and that this was likely due to solar activity.

The NASA annoucement did rather seem to add credence to such an idea. Recent observations though make the issue rather more intriguing.

From a scientific angle: why is this solar cycle so quiet when just 2 years ago NASA were expecting it to be extremely active?

Next couple of years could be interesting!

(I shalln't be taking shelter underground, but maybe I might just plan a solstice/christmas trip to some remote part of the Scottish Highlands .... or would that mean missing all the fun?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Here is an article on your topic. It's more of a new age\scientific mix than scientific theories alone. It focuses on a global concious and how it affects our sun. Intersting read if anything, but not as believable as a scientific based explantion.

source

For the first time since June 1913, there has been no sunspot activity for a whole month. The zero sunspot activity for August 2008 was preceded by an average of only three sunspots for the first seven months of the year. This low solar activity contrasts with the average of a hundred or so sunspots per month when the sun enters its more active phases. Mitch Battros and other solar researchers have been arguing that we are witnessing the calm before the storm of what will be the most powerful solar cycle on record. In particular, Battros claims that Solar Cycle 24 will cause widespread Earth Changes and human disruption at an unprecedented scale that coincides with the end of the Mayan Calendar in 2012. What Battros and other like minded researchers fail to account for in their analyses of solar activity and its impact on Earth is the role of global consciousness. The zero sunspot count for August may therefore not be a cause for concern, but a sign that changes in global consciousness are influencing solar activity in a positive way. Before examining the idea that low sunspot activity up to this time is the proverbial calm before the storm, it´s worth briefly commenting on an alternative explanation.

It does cover a lot of the theories out right now in it, so this would be a good intro for the overall view of the current ideas out there on this topic.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I wish nomadrush would go and buy an under ground bunker and stay there.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Interesting read but I clicked the "about us" link on the SSRC web page and there are only 3 scientists mentioned. The workings of the planet and solar system are extremely complex and different theories are adopted as others are discarded when new information is brought to light. We have made great advances in finding evidence of past climate conditions which brought us into the global warming/climate change model. Some people get infuriated that global warming is combined with climate change but that is the medias fault for only concentrating on the temperature increase. Ignored by the media for some time was the flipside of global warming which is dramatic reversals of climate trends.

I am going to work on enlarging my garden and putting in a greenhouse or similar on account of the economy and now this forecasted cooling trend. Not sold on the SSRC science yet but willing to digest additional data to find the truth of the matter.

If some people are allegedy profiting off of climate change so what? The science is more important than some smart capitalists that see a way to earn a buck. It's just human nature to want to better ones living situation using the information at hand.

Hate the capitalists if you want but don't hate the scientists working to uncover the true workings of our world. Learn to differentiate scientists performing real science versus so called scientists employed to prove a predecided conclusion.

Neat thread and I would like to see it there is more to this theory. I do love a good snowy winter.

top topics

join