It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Wal-Mart quit selling guns this week.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Today I went to Wal-Mart to get the bare necessities with a friend who wanted to stop by sporting goods to look at fishing tackle. When I was in high school I mowed lawns for almost three months to buy a Ruger 10-22 rifle from the same Wal-Mart. I was doing a lot of our doorsie stuff then, camping, fishing, etc. and at the time and had been very excited about getting my own gun.

Making a long story short I ran out of fun time and sold my rifle to a friend, now I'm starting to get a little fun time back and wouldn't mind having my own gun again. I talked to a friendly Wal-Mart sporting goods associate who informed me that many Wal-Marts including this one and other nation wide districts, had quit selling firearms.

It doesn't mean we can't visit a local sporting goods store or gun shop and pick one up at basically equal cost, it just means the one of the largest retailers in the nation is being told by someone that selling firearms will no longer be tolerated.

Seems a little fishy to me, maybe I'm wrong?

I live in Washington not far from Seattle, anyone else experienced this?

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Quarantine]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Thats good news lets hope that the violence reduces atleast now.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I do find this interesting. It does seem like an attempt to begin out pricing the average joe from firearm ownership.

As far as violence reducing, that's sort of a misnomer. There are plenty of statistics to the contrary. Also most Washingtonians are fishing hunting types, making the gun ownership stats pretty high in this state. Gun crime on the other hand is relatively low.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Quarantine

Walmart got a lot of negative publicity from "Bowling for Columbine"... Michael Moore's dirty handiwork.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have noticed the amount of firearms being sold in our local walmart has dwindled down also. I'm coming from North Carolina. When I was in Alaska, I was able to purchase handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Now it seems that they only sell a few shotguns and rifles. Oh well. I prefer to by my guns from other dealers anyways.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Down here in Florida the local rednecks have been buying up all the guns at Wallyworld.

They heard that Russia had invaded Georgia and they wanted to be prepared

Sorry, couldn't resist that one

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intheshadwos
Down here in Florida the local blacks/cubans/jews have been buying up all the guns at Wallyworld.

Still funny?
Why not?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intheshadwos
Down here in Florida the local rednecks have been buying up all the guns at Wallyworld.

Now that is some funny Sh**! I dont care who you are
)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
When I was in New Haven, CT (a city full of terrified and sheltered nanny-staters) the WalMart there stopped selling ammo and firearms. I just figured it was because there was no demand in the area. There were plenty of other gun shops around.

Since Ive been in New Hampshire all the WalMarts have displays up for the hunting season with firearms out near the home goods section, end caps by the TV's and of course in the sporting department. I was grabbing some towels and when I turned the corner aisle there were all these guns staring back at me. I was so happy I almost cried. I took a picture with my phone and sent it to some friends unfortunate enough to still be living in CT.

Washington suffers from the same madness that Oregon and California and New York do. The state is mostly rural and full of people that just want to be left alone but Seattle ruins it for all those other people like Portland ruins Oregon, NYC ruins New York State and LA and San Diego and San Francisco ruin California. These citys full of urban dependents need less say in how their entire state gets run.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
THIS ALL MAY BE OCCURRING FROM THE COLLAPSING ECONOMY

People that need to pay mortgage and eat may want a firearm to get the needed resources.

When the economy is down, crime goes up.

It has nothing to do with conspiracy, just deterring crime. Besides, there should be plenty of firearms to buy on the black market anyway. Wal-mart is playing there part not to make it easy.

or

People are guns are not that profitable at wal-mart anymore because the declinign economy.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by '___'eed]

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
OMG the ignorance in this thread!

1st off, VERY VERY retardedly FEW crimes are comitted with a Wal-Mart bought Rugger .22 rifle!!! Most gun crimes are in fact commited with pistols.

2nd. Wal Mart DID NOT get negative publicity from Michael Whore...I mean Moore. It was Kmart where Moore conned the children into staging a demonstration where they came to the corp headquaters to "Give back Kmart the bullets that where pulled from their boddies". The young man in the wheelchair has since come out and admitted that Moore used him horribly for that film.

3. It is NOT because of the economy and that people are turning to savagery. In fact the very oposite is true.
Wal Mart has been phasing out Guns for the past 1 1/2 years. Its basically a profitability thing. For the same ammount of shelf space that it takes to sell guns and ammo in every store, they can instead stock something that actually sells on a consistant basis and make money.

Its all about the money. Selling guns/ammo is an extremely LOW PROFIT business. Ask me how I know.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Guns and ammo have a way better profit margin than most grocery items, just a smidgen of the volume. At some level, it's politically driven with an ear towards liability.

The retail gun industry is one of the last bastions of mom-and-pop left in America, and for all the time that mass merchandisers have been whoring out the pricing, they've been able to keep afloat by knowing of what they speak. They also are generally better at making sure that paperwork is done right.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
No Conspiracy here.

I used to be an Assistant Store Manager with Wal-Mart. The reason the guns are disappearing from stores is because of human error. The forms required to be filled out by the associates to sell the guns cause a headache with Managers. When it's not filled out correctly you have to contact the customer to fix the problem. Even if it is an error from years ago. If we don't catch the error and the ATF does an audit and they find errors the store gets fined, home office does not like that. If you have too many fines the ATF will remove that stores licenses. About two years ago there was an internal company wide audit of the gun sales files. With all the errors found and improperly sold guns sold by improperly trained associates the company would have lost millions. Upper management decide that the profit loss for no gun sales was far less than the fines paid yearly by the company. The decision to phase out gun sales actually started about a year to a year and a half ago in select areas as a test, and most new and newly remodeled stores will not sell guns.

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hm.

No reduction of Walmart's gun supply in the Republic of Texas at all.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed

Originally posted by Intheshadwos (racist edit by Shazam The Unbowed)
Down here in Florida the local blacks/cubans/jews have been buying up all the guns at Wallyworld.

Still funny?

No. It's not.

Originally posted by Shazam The Unbowed
Why not?

Because you changed his jest into racist/anti-semitic BS. Last I knew, a 'redneck' could be any race and/or religion. Your misquoting him was entirely uncalled for.

[edit on 9/29/08 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Separating people from guns wont reduce violence. Those who commit violent acts already own guns, anyway. And terrorists will surely have outside means of getting hold of such hardware.

What it does mean is that it will cause those who seek to spread violence (such as terrorists) to seek other vendors of guns. Possibly ones who are less than honest and may not care whether or not the buyer of the gun has a license.

This is an incredibly bad move.

top topics

join