It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arms race in the Pacific...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Rudd foreshadows Pacific defence build-up

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has warned that Australia must prepare for an emerging arms race across the Asia-Pacific region, and has flagged strengthening the Australian Defence Force (ADF) to meet the challenge.

www.abc.net.au...

This is something that came out of the blue today - apparently Australia needs to splurge more money on defence to deter the likes of, well, China I guess. If that were even possible to deter against.

It's an excellent way to make a distraction from domestic issues - the state governments are imploding, pensioners are asking for more money, and there's still the issue of the carbon trading scheme that no one can really work out.

I thought terrorism was Australia's No. 1 concern, why the sudden panic over the likes of Indonesia coming in and making a 'traditional' invasion that we need to deter?

Talk of an 'arms race' is taking it a bit far I feel, talking in that manner is a quick way to prompt one.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I heard something about this too today, but it was in reference to Australia needing to vastly increase its Naval power and precense across the northern border.

Something, I beleive is up for them to mention talk of this......those inside government must have just gotten a secret report analysis new and potential threats in the region.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
im betting on a distraction from domestic issues..

to OP no need to overstate the issues... 'state governments are imploding'... give me a break.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well, certainly New South Wales is.

Western Australia is headed toward being a minority government - the Nationals are even considering forming a coalition with Labor.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Rudd over the Howard times any day, but it's clearly to distract from domestic stuff.

I mean giving the rhetoric speech to the RSL... With pensioners... Hmm.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
don't get me wrong i don't like any of the state governments, Brumby gives me the sh*ts... i want a real leader
not these spineless cowards who would rather save face then admit to their wrongs...

i just don't think it as bad as stated.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by purplemonkey]

top topics

join