It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Australia)Police to be protected from being sued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   

(Australia)Police to be protected from being sued

www.theage.com.au

Police officers will be given greater protection from being sued in an overhaul of Victorian legislation designed, in part, to do away with the military-style disciplinary system.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Any Australians know any more about this?
As soon as i heard it my hairs stood on end.
I dont quite understand the rest of the story can someone please explain what it saying in layman terms.

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
What this means is we are going down the very same path that our Good ole friends in America are taking
We will be Beat kicked and tazed with out our human rights and be put in jail for speaking our minds

God help us all

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Thats what i thought...but the rest of the article confused me a bit.
Until now i was reasonably content with our police force now im just worried and angry.
Imagine what there going to turn into now(the police).

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SvenTheBerserK

I think it will take many years to become like American police unless we have some major event in OZ that will shock the world (eg 9/11) but we are on that path of become like them

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
No I think you might have this a little wrong.
I think, but am not 100% sure, its just protection from suing individual police.
You can always still sue the police department or the government who owns them.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This article isn't so bad. It's like teaching and schools, in a way.

You can't sue an individual teacher, unless they have not acted in good faith. You have to sue the school, instead.

Police probably need this protection, as I can see how many people might want to try and sue individual officers.

In theory, unless the officers are not doing their job properly, they shouldn't have anything to worry about in terms of being sued. In theory... which is a joke, as any system can be played and screwed. All systems have different levels of corruption.

top topics

join