It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN starts up in Less Than 45 minutes!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
reply to post by altered_states

ehm... I was more or less replying to the fact that the most soup in this case is cooked up on ramblings about the end of the world and "oh this big bad machine is going to kill us aaaalll!"

I'm looking forward to the tech advances that this will bring. It just annoys me that people are more focused on the end of the world instead of that...

Don't be so touchy

Apologies flice its just I for one dont think anything will happen just scientific breakthroughs which is extremely exciting no matter how big or small even if they dont reveal all, I dont think they would of created a machine to just destroy the world in an instant, I think mankind will benefit greatley from this machine.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

no worries... I could have articulated myself better. Also doesn't help that I'm passionately pissed about every single paper writing "Doomsday tomorrow?!". It reaks of not doing their research properly...
It's not like LHC is the first of it's kind.

EDIT:
Add to that that I spend 2 hours last night trying to calm down a friend with a frail mind because she was all tears about the world ending -.-
I mean... comon news people! Where's you sense of responsibility, your sense of moral? I wonder how many people have killed themselves within the last 20 hours because they believe the crap that papers write about things like this.

[edit on 10/9/08 by flice]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Lol, guess I got myself in trouble.

Anywayz, I think that scientific breakthroughs are good, but not when they could possibly ruin our way of life as we know it. Even if theres only a SLIGHT chance.
-Z-

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
OMG! The event horizon! I SEES IT!
!! Must... post.. on... ATS.. before it sucks me in..

Ahhhhhhh *fading out*

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Has it gone off? I'm still alive! How about the rest of ya?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Lol, I guess I better go have a cigarette before they decide to collide the wrong atoms and end "smoke" as we know it. I'd probably die... damn withdrawals. Now THATS an EOTW theory. People ALL mad cuz theres no more smoking.

-Z-

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Sadly, all who maxed out their credit cards, squandered their life savings and left their wife for their cute young secretary in preparation for end time now have to face reality.

Science changes your world again.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ha Ha just heard this today check it out

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 9/10/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Hahahahaha...I learned more from that Rap video that anything I read so far.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

They were supposed to build an even bigger collider at Fermi Labs near Chicago, but never got it fully funded. It is cool to hear Stephen Hawking rap. If there was any danger, he would know about it.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The only thing they tested to day was to see if the beam of atoms would go all the way around 27 km track. And it did

The funn is still to come

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
why not just make a particle collide in a 3d model? then enter a string of possibilties we already know, with dynamics variables and see what outcomes you get, then base conclusions on outcome repetitions? I know its nerdstyle..but its safer!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
why not just make a particle collide in a 3d model? then enter a string of possibilties we already know, with dynamics variables and see what outcomes you get, then base conclusions on outcome repetitions? I know its nerdstyle..but its safer!

dont you think they have already done that??
they've ran through countless simulations, now they're testing the real thing, backing up the simulations, and tryin to figure out other variables not thought of....sheesh

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If anything bad is going to come out of the LHC, we won't know until next year.

They only turned up the energy to about 0.5 TeV --- designed maximum is 14 Tev.

The hadron collider at Fermilab has run up to 2 TeV, so all physics which has been created at LHC has already been seen at Fermilab, and we're still here.

So, you can keep on worrying for another few months.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by mbkennel]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
BTW, there where also some movies made in 2001/2006 about this subject "Making Blackholes on earth" Tittle "The Void"
The Void
and "The Black hole"
The Black Hole

[edit on 10-9-2008 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

[edit on 10-9-2008 by D0MiNAT0R 1OOO]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Those movies sucked... and thanks for the hawkings rap, that was awesome.

NEWS FLASH!!

DEATH ROW RECORDS SIGNS NOBEL PHYSICIST STEPHEN HAWKING TO A MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!! ON HIS NEW CD, "GET ATOM HOES" HE WILL COLLABORATE WITH SNOOP DOGG, EMINEM AND DR. DRE!!!

Rofl.... can you imagine such a world.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Hey guys... I just felt a really sharp pain through my shoulder and I see a little tiny hole... almost as if a tiny little Black Hole just went through my shoulder Blade on it's way to the center of the Earth

HaHaHa!!!

Laughter can be great medicine, can't it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join