It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Shadows The New Fingerprint? See inside!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Are Shadows The New Fingerprint? See inside!

www.telegraph.co.uk

A computer programme has been developed to process the image of a shadow cast on the ground, and match it up with its owner.
The technique, called gait analysis, works on the premise that it is extremely difficult to disguise your walking style.
It could be used to monitor known criminals and suspected terrorists, such as Osama Bin Laden, using satellites or spy planes.
There has been an explosion in satellite imagery and technology in recent years, but it is still virtually impossible to recognise people from pictures taken from orbit. Images from high-altitude aircraft and spacecraft only ever the tops of their heads.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Okay... so now not only do we have DNA, fingerprints and such... but we can also be ID\'d by our shadows. Pretty soon we wont be able to breathe without the gov\'s knowing who\'s doing it. Where is freedom going? We all know this wont be used for good as they say. But what can we do about it.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
wear a coat \ hat or carry a umbrella to change your shape...people developing this rubbish must have nothing better to do..

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
wear a coat \ hat or carry a umbrella to change your shape...people developing this rubbish must have nothing better to do..

Like the article said, it's about the way you walk, not your outline.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Still kinda weird to think about. Yeah, im sure they dont have a lot to do with their time. Still, i'd change the way I walked daily. One day i'd walk like I had to poo really bad, the next day i'd throw on my GANGSTA LEANNNN!!

-Z-

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Off the top of my head, I'd guess that the easiest way to defeat this kind of a system would be to modify your shoes.. Attempting to walk differently may not work, but changing the height of the soles on your shoes on one side probably would, though it wouldn't be incredibly comfortable to walk long distances, for a guess something around half an inch would be hard for others to notice, but should change the length of your legs, and thus your gait, sufficiently to defeat the system.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Hmmm, I guess there are quite a few ways to get around this thing... it might not be as bad as I thought after all!!

Good thinking guys!
OOOHHH!!! IM GONNA START WALKING ON STILTS!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Looks like my idea for sat tracking has come to life.
Thats a wrap folks.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Doesn't being in the military alter the way someone walks? I have noticed the way that former military personell walk, they all seem to walk the same way.

So doesn't that shoot down this idea a little?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Yeah, put Ben Laden in the article as the reason and it's suddently legitimate... this is so disgusting. Their techniques of propaganda are more and more obvious.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZyPHeR

The technique, called gait analysis, works on the premise that it is extremely difficult to disguise your walking style.

Secret funding from a little-known British Government department has enabled A.Q. to already counter this particular surveillance threat..

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Doesn't being in the military alter the way someone walks? I have noticed the way that former military personell walk, they all seem to walk the same way.

So doesn't that shoot down this idea a little?

Depends who your looking for.

And I think it's posture and stance. In the army, your in control of your stance alot more, standing to attention, or at ease, you are penalized for slouching etc. This would change your posture, indefinitley. This would also be from a number of other proffesions, dancers, Baleigh(sp?) especially then there's public school, lifestyle, psychological profile, these all define peoples walk, stance etc.

This could help in narrowing down at least, for tracking etc. But is that a good thing? again, it depends who your looking for.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The Usual Suspects would be an example of altering your movement. You could be stately-stepping one day and a gimp the next.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm sure it mostly had to do with things you have no control over: e.g. The structure of your hips, the length of your legs, the asymmetry of anything, the learned coordinated movements that you have continually learned and practiced your entire life ever since you started walking, the curvature of your feet, .etc

The only thing you can do to "alter" your walk-print is exaggerate or minimize these things.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Lmao at that video, thats hilarious!! If we all walked like that guy, nobody would be discernable from anything. That dude has the most awesome "gait" ever!

And good point about the bin laden propaganda. If they state anything is for busting down big bad people like terrorists, bin laden for example, its all good and well by the people. Very transparent, I agree.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZyPHeR

OOOHHH!!! IM GONNA START WALKING ON STILTS!!!

but that may make it a little easier to track from the ground

why go to the trouble of modifiying your shoes? every day you would need to move the offending add-on to alter your step differently, you will habbitually place the add-on in a set number of spots meaning over time they would have a set number of profile walks

just stick a stone in your shoe as it moves around your gait will change on a minute by minute semi random basis

new stone new set of semi random movments

ahh the ministry of funny walks id rate it even better then the parrot sketch

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
im sure with some practice it would be easy to disguise your natural gait ,pretending to be a cripple for one!.

i think another easy way out would be to use shoes that are several sizes to big or small for you and wearing several layers of insoles within which would result in a walk that does not resemmble your natural gait.

alternativly regular bouts of sodomy might do the trick

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Oh this should be rather easy to bypass... now where's my Segway?

Quite frankly, satellites can only pass over head once every so often, and the geosynchronous variety isn't going to be repositioned just to have a better glance at one person.

Sounds to me like 'somebody' wants you to feel like you're already being watched. Perhaps... dare I say it... to make sure you don't feel like you have a chance of standing against the government?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
What a stupid idea..

Easiest way to change the way you walk is to stick a very small pebble in your shoe.

Failing that, change the way you swing your arms, your shoulder posture, straighten your back and neck (or hunch them) and slow down or increase your pace.

I've been told i've got three types of walk.

My happy walk (a spring in my step - head held high), my thinking walk (slow and slouchy, yet determined but no spring) and then my hurried walk (essentially a march).

Stupid, stupid, stupid idea.....

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Lol, im liking the way you people think. More input please, this is strangely amusing...

-Z-

top topics

join