It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a conspiracy to keep us from driving?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
There's lots of talk about conspiracies to keep us dependant on oil as prices rise.

I would like to throw out the idea, though, that the rising gas prices aren't so much to dis into our pockets as they are to keep us at home. That, plus mandatory auto insurance, the gradual breakdown of automobile quality and roads in bad conditions.

Just at thought.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Interesting thought, but you failed to explain why? I cannot think of any reason why they would want us off the roads. And madatory insurance is a good thing. A friend of mine got t-boned by an old lady without insurance two weeks ago.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
No conspiracy, only greed.

Everything is going to cost more.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
There's lots of talk about conspiracies to keep us dependant on oil as prices rise.

I would like to throw out the idea, though, that the rising gas prices aren't so much to dis into our pockets as they are to keep us at home. That, plus mandatory auto insurance, the gradual breakdown of automobile quality and roads in bad conditions.

Just at thought.

Well there's some merit to the idea. Certainly many people in positions of power, and people concerned about the environment want people to drive less. This is rather in conflict with the way our society is arranged. (Europe and much of the world is much better laid out for less driving.)

On the other hand, gas prices here are still among the lowest in the developed world, the roads vary greatly in quality (anywhere within about four hundred miles of where I live, they're in GREAT shape.) and automotive quality is by FAR higher than it's ever been. (You must seriously not have been alive before the early nineties if you think automotive quality has gone down. It's been steadily increasing since the sixties [planned obsolescence, lol.]. Still wouldn't recommend an American car though, especially not a Ford.)

Also: mandatory auto insurance is a good thing. If you were rather poor and hit someone in a very expensive car without insurance, you could be in debt for years, or even possibly for life. Insurance is really for the benefit and convenience of the already rich, and for marginal protection of the poor.

Still kind of annoying to have to pay for it all the time, though.

top topics

join