It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rudd warns of arms race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Rudd warns of arms race

www.theaustralian.news.com.au

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd warns that Australia is facing an arms race build up in our region where the nuclear weapons threat is "as great as ever''.

Mr Rudd today revealed the nation faced a strategic build-up and unprecedented military spending by rising powers in "the age of the Pacific". He warned the rapidly changing region had a number of "unresolved flash points".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I call BS. Rudd is just warming up Australia so we'll be more pliable when he suggests we join the US missile shield. I thought this might be coming, but I thought we might be spared the silliness of pointless defense spending.

www.theaustralian.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Shere Khaan

join erm joined..

only cost a Harolt Holt his life fighting this ...

Hatts Road Northern Territory, Google earth it and slide up a little north 3 fresh green nuke silo's plus 12 levels underground.

I heard creepy duds announcement about 0300hrs on ABC 774am radio and shrugged "Australia will arm-up to defeat China " ggz wd Rudd/dud, did that sprechen de manchurian pick up a coke habit whilst pole dancing in NYC last year???

www.abc.net.au... was Opposition leader now PRIME MINISTER drugs/alc no excuse.

could someone teach me how to link google earth here please.

peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
KRudd is an idiot.

Australia has the 13th highest defence force expenditure in the world, yet we also have the 2nd lowest expenditure on education in the 'modernised' world.

Krudd, we will only get into an arms race if your political party allows it to happen. Here's a tip for you: Stop spending money on weapons and start putting money into schools, hospitals and public transport.

Krudd is an idiot.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
At least, I sorely hope, New Zealand won't take part in this regional arms build up....that is, until after the next (looming) election when it looks like the Neocon lapdogs known as the National Party get in (as I fear they will).

Less money on the military, more money on education as what we need, but no, what do we get?

Please invade us and steal our gravel !

[edit on 9/9/08 by ChChKiwi]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The worst part is if KRudd gets knocked off, we're stuck with Gillard!

I loved the bumper sticker I saw the other day:

I didn't vote for Kevin. Did you?

Krudd bashing aside, I just don't see the point in spending billions more on defence only to get squashed no matter what happens. They rattle off China and India but even if we tripled our defence forces we might just slow them down for a few minutes.

Hmmm I have an idea. for a billion dollars I'll come up with a mutually assured destruction project. infest them with cane toads like we did with East Timor!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I didn't see anywhere in that article about major increases in the defence budget apart from this:

"Australia must be prepared through its diplomacy, its foreign policy and its defence policy." Australia's first-ever National Security Statement will be presented in this Parliament with a defence white paper to be handed down later this year. Defence spending has been locked in at 3 per cent growth for the next decade.

Only 3%.

There was also mention here of putting money into schools and hospitals instead and I agree totally but last time I checked they came under STATE government. Not FEDERAL. There's a huge difference.

I don't see a problem with keeping up with modern military technology, We've got a huge coastline and Billions of dollars worth in raw produce to try to defend.

And anyway, China love us, particularly when it comes to getting Iron Ore off of us. Yeah we're making billions of dollars selling to them, but have you stopped to look at the price of steel lately? it's increased by something like 65%! so we're buying all this steel back at a ridiculous price. I know i'm going off topic here but I don't see it as such a big deal. If we start interfering with other countries, and I don't just mean aid and security, then thats the time to start worrying.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   
We have enough fire power and not enough people to use it When will the world know peace

This is just more spending by the government to make the rich people get richer

And yes i did vote for Rudd,look what we had before But at the end of the day we all know they are just the same

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

hehehe all our politicians are tools and idiots, its just the depth that varies. people didnt vote rudd in they voted howard and his cronies out.

im tired of the liberals, nationals and labor they are all a bunch of useless mucks.

liberals dont have much leverage atm, everytime they say labor should be doing something the common response is "well you were in power for so long why didnt you do it?"

unfortunatley rudd is better than smirky costello or nelson with his bad hair cut, and julie bishop just doesnt have a clue.

i think turnbull would be the only lib Australia could stomach voting for atm.

and dont get me started on the farcical state gov's

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I didn't see anywhere in that article about major increases in the defence budget apart from this:

Only 3%.

While that figure was given, it is for the current increases in defence budget already slated in previous budgets. Basically the figure is to keep up with inflation.

What Rudd is talking about is this:

Australia's first-ever National Security Statement will be presented in this Parliament with a defence white paper to be handed down later this year.

It is a review of defence spending that is going to recommend increases due to increases in defence spending through out Asia. I have heard a efw different sources of this and the article only skirts around the issue really. But suffice it to say, defence spending will not be locked in at 3% for the next decade.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
There was also mention here of putting money into schools and hospitals instead and I agree totally but last time I checked they came under STATE government. Not FEDERAL. There's a huge difference.

In case you don't realise, schools do receive federal funding.

To try and shift the blame from State to Federal is lame, totally lame. The Feds should be putting money into essential services, not buying more weapons.

This country sucks as much as any other. The difference is that we think we're all ok.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I can't imagine they would get very much funding from the federal budget.

A couple of articles: www.abc.net.au...

The Premier Alan Carpenter has unveiled Labor's total spending commitment on schools over the next four years. He says the $1.5 billion package will allow 15 new schools to open next year and work on another 21 schools over the four year period. Today's announcement is a $300 million increase on what was allocated in the May budget.

www.abc.net.au...

At State Parliament this morning he said the Liberal Party is worth voting for because it would keep Royal Perth Hospital open, introduce mandatory jail terms for people who assault police and public officers, and repeal the Labor Party's prostitution legislation. He has also highlighted the Liberal's promise to improve the public education system.

We're getting off topic here.

Back on topic, we don't even know what this National Security Statement will include yet, so it's all speculation.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I seriously find it hard to believe.

Seeing that my Dad is apart of the State Government.

I'll seem to hassle him for some answers in the mean time.

It's still my opinion that World War 3 will happen soon, seeing that all Americas counterparts are boasting there defenses/arms.

I say within the next year or so.

A huge event will change mankind forever.

It may seem that we are friends with China at this current moment, but soon it may end quickly. They may be hungry for resources just as America is.

I can't blame Rudd for boasting Australia's defenses.

We may need it.

We have one of the largest country's. with most resources, of course they will hunt us down first.

I hope it doesn't end out in a bad way.

For Christ sake.

Don't want to be shiped out to fight an world war.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

how about a better description ??

even using my program at work i cant find it with just :

"Hatts Road Northern Territory",

it is a big place you know the Northern Territory !!

please supply co-ords or a better address.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This is all rhetoric for greater military spending which is needed since we have such wealth and resources and such a big country. But defending it with such a small population is very difficult we are still using F111's and old ships we need to spend.

But the real problem in defending this country is manpower since the countries in Asia have huge populations with huge armies some greater than the entire population of Australia. We rely heavily on alliances with the greatest powers of the world to defend us being UK, US that is why we have been kissing their arses for so long and now we are doing it to China but the problem is China is only in for the resources they will probably want to take this country for our resources and to spread its population which is much too high. There is truly nothing stopping them, no matter how much money we spend we cannot defend from China.

This is why I believe we need to heavily ally with Indonesia. They are have a huge population. Combined militarily we can defend the area properly from foreign powers instead of being walked all over by bigger countries.

But if not we have to stick to ass kissing

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Nanobot]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROO-meh
reply to post by Shere Khaan

join erm joined..

only cost a Harolt Holt his life fighting this ...

Hatts Road Northern Territory, Google earth it and slide up a little north 3 fresh green nuke silo's plus 12 levels underground.

I heard creepy duds announcement about 0300hrs on ABC 774am radio and shrugged "Australia will arm-up to defeat China " ggz wd Rudd/dud, did that sprechen de manchurian pick up a coke habit whilst pole dancing in NYC last year???

www.abc.net.au... was Opposition leader now PRIME MINISTER drugs/alc no excuse.

could someone teach me how to link google earth here please.

peace.

So what else is new..

Australia has had a Nuckes for a good 20 years.

I Don't see a problem with them (Politicians), admitting it.

Way I see it, if the Crap hits the fan & China & Russia ever launched an attack on the West, "Australia is one of their prime targets" & thats going on the assumption that we don't have any nukes.

So if they are going to hit us anyway, Why just go quietly into the night?

I Say atleast if we are going to be obliterated by China and Russia "just for being a US Allie", then why the hell shouldn't we have something to give them as a final Middle Finger stuck up in the air.....LOL

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ChChKiwi

The nat party in NZ has tried to put on this loverly new image lately - nat "lite". Doesn't work on me
4 more years of helengrad is infinitely better than turning us into another neocon nuclear sub-port in the pacific.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This is deeply disturbing for me. I am and american, but I am moving to Australia to get away from this BS, and for my aussie friends that have changed my life for the better. Now I hear that theres a possibility that this stupidity is making its way to my new home. The US as it has evolved is not healthy for anyone anymore, especially not for me and my family. This has to stop, and I hope to god that The country of australia stands up for their rights, freedoms, heritage, and well being. Before it gets liek the US. I know i will.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerva
This has to stop, and I hope to god that The country of australia stands up for their rights, freedoms, heritage, and well being. Before it gets liek the US. I know i will.

You're kidding, right?

Our population is as dumb, if not more so, than that of the USA.

Australia was a convict colony, our heritage lies with being told what to do.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
reply to post by ChChKiwi

The nat party in NZ has tried to put on this loverly new image lately - nat "lite". Doesn't work on me
4 more years of helengrad is infinitely better than turning us into another neocon nuclear sub-port in the pacific.

Absolutely!!! It's good to see there are others out there who feel this way. I don't trust the Nats at all, I think they are a bit too slippery, slimey and obfuscate when confronted with difficult questions. From what I understand, they want to crawl into bed with the warmongers in the U.S.

Nerva, to me, Australia IS the U.S. of the South Pacific. You should come to New Zealand, we weren't founded on convict stock ...plus we shear sheep here, while the Aussies share them

[edit on 10/9/08 by ChChKiwi]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join