It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 11 Question RE: Panorama Pic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hi I'm new around here so take it easy on me will ya!

I was just exploring the LPI Site and happened on this beautiful panorama shot. I warn you its about 13.4 meg file but it will worth a look.

When you get the file, zoom in on the ladder to the LEM.

You should notice something hanging from the ladder with a couple of more somethings nearby.

Good Luck

[edit on 9-9-2008 by marsorbust]

[edit on 9-9-2008 by marsorbust]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Here is the link, I forgot to upload it.

www.lpi.usra.edu...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Will look if you can give another non edu/gov source for the photo do you have the number?

It's probably nothing.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
On Lpi its:

JSC2007e045375.jpg

I hope that will match up ok for you on another site.

I will check from here also, maybe I can find a match up,

Good Luck

jra

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Those are just lens flares. You will see them every so often when a photo is taken with the Sun infront and above the frame. Nice panoramic shot though.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Yes its a very good shot, also take a look at whats in front of Armstrongs waist using a bit of zoom. See if you see anything there.

I'm not seeing lens flare here, I have spent most of my life as an avid astronomer and am used to seeing lens flares. Did you look closely at the top rung of the ladder.

I've seen all these pic before individually, its the first time I saw the entry exit ladder though.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Trying now for 10 minutes to discover anything???Gimme some clues!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Here is a link to view the area concerned.

s362.photobucket.com...

For a bigger blowup without the arrows.

s362.photobucket.com...

I stuck some pointers in it along the ladder and a pointer near the astronaut where I can see what I think is a portable computer system that he is using. When looking for the computer monitor think aquarium. You should then see it. It looks like a cut out in the Lem structure until your eye picks it out.

The image is denoised a little also.

Maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there, if you can see them, then you will be able to see the cause of what could be taken for sun glare.

Thanks

[edit on 10-9-2008 by marsorbust]

[edit on 10-9-2008 by marsorbust]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by marsorbust

It's a lens flare, which is why it only occurs heavily in the image facing the sun. The original image containing just armstrong and the left side of the LEM has no lens flare, it only appears in the next image of the sequence, AS11-40-5887
www.spacearchive.net...
AS11-40-5886 does not contain as much of a lens flare and lacks the "rainbow" effect, despite the fact that the "rainbow section" of 5887 overlaps with this image:
history.nasa.gov...
This proves the effect is tied to the angle the camera lens makes with the sun, not with the LEM.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hi and thanks for your very good explanation.

The only problem is, the lens flare in question is not covering the ares I'm alluding to. When this was mention in the earlier post I said I understood lens flares, because we have a confusion here of where I am seeing these anomalies. If you look very closely, even in your reference photo, which I do thank you for, look under Armstrong's right arm, you will see a piece of equipment there just about level with his waste in the direction of the Lem. Now, zoom as far as you dare to get a better look at this. Tell me what you think it is and if you agree we move on to the over abnormalities I may be seeing. By the way this is not a post meant to add to the goto the moon or not crap. I was a young lad of 17 and enjoyed very much watching the events unfold that day. I was very proud and still am of those great men. Nobody can take that away from. The guy that Aldren gave the shot to deserved every thing he got and Aldren probably should have given him a couple of more for good measure. Enough of that though, I just want to see if you can see that device and comment on what you think it could be, looks like video display of some sort to my eyes.

Thank-you very much for replying to my post.
Regards

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsorbust
If you look very closely, even in your reference photo, which I do thank you for, look under Armstrong's right arm, you will see a piece of equipment there just about level with his waste in the direction of the Lem.

Looks like the LEM's MESA (Modular Equipment Storage Assembly, I think) to me. Here's a mockup showing it from a similar angle:
www.apollo-projekt.de...
The colors on this model aren't exactly faithful but the shape is identical.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Thanks again for your information, nice to meet you on here.

Well I guess that says it all, got to get to the eye doc soon and get new prescription

Take care

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
That part of the LEM was the location of the Modularized Equipment Stowage Assembly -- or quite simply, the place that the tools and equipment the astronauts used on the moon were stowed away for the flight.

It looks to me as if the astronaut is simply removing some tools/equipment from this storage area. I don't see a the video display you are talking about.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thanks for your info. Appreciate it.

Looks like it is my bad eyes, at age 56 I guess that is expected.

I use large text on the computer but the graphics can fool me.

I picked up a new pair (stronger) glasses today and it's just like you say.

My mistake, I'll be a little more careful in the future. This getting older business is for the birds, but it beats the alternative.

I mostly use my vision a little too much in the night time, with my telescopes, so that can probably impair it over time also.

Thank-you all for your help.

This is a great board!

top topics

join