It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Gaffe: Tells Cripple to 'Stand Up'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden made an embarrassing remark during a campaign appearance in Columbia, Mo., on Tuesday.

Standing before a large gathering, Biden tried to give special recognition to State Senator Chuck Graham by shouting out to him: “Chuck, stand up, let the people see you.”

It was only then that Biden realized Graham is confined to a wheelchair. But he recovered quickly and told the crowd to “stand up for Chuck.” The crowd responded with a rousing cheer for Graham.

Video

You have to wonder about Biden's capacity to serve as VP. His attention to detail seems to be lacking (comment about Obama growing up in Kansas) and now this.

I understand he's experienced some heavy losses in life (wife and kid?) and is no stranger to the bottle, but his capacity to assume such responsiblities in serving at the Whitehouse are at least concerning if not questionable.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is sooo petty.

What would Bush have said?

Not to flame you, but we are all humans and sometimes people do make mistakes.

I'm not a Biden lover, anyway- just an observation.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

dg, you are absolutely right! This is "petty", as well as silly. I wonder if the OP whined as much when Sen. McCain mistook Sunnis for Shi'ites when discussing Al-Qaeda and Iraq.

More of the Idiocratic political-baitin'
here on ATS.

BS.

[edit on 9.9.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I could see this as being an honest mistake if he didn't know the guy was in a wheelchair or had forgotten in the heat of the moment. The fact that he corrected himself quickly afterward suggests it was just a momentary oops.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Ouch.

What a terrible gaffe.

That must have been awful for everyone around.

Incidentally, did the thread title really have to include the word choice 'cripple'?

Just askin'...

EDIT:

Just realized the original source used the same word. Funny that an article writing about a gaffe would commit one of its own.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
With all the Gaffes this week Sure seems like Obama and Biden are trying to tank their chances of getting elected.

I knew i should have drove up to Columbia today. But then again the obama supporters probably wouldn't have let me within 10 miles of Bidens speech

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It does appear that Joe Biden has problems with his memory. First he tells people in Scranton that Barack Obama was born and raised in Kansas , then he forgets Senator Graham is in a wheelchair?

He's either suffering from a neurological disorder or he just didn't bother to do his homework..

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If only Messiah Obama had told him to stand up. I'm sure Sen. Chuck Graham would have cast off his wheelchair and run up and down the aisles.

"Stand up Chuck, let-em see ya. O! God love you. What am I talking about?"

Priceless!
Chuck Graham has only been in a wheelchair since he was 16.

You can find a better version of the video here. (Link)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Hey moderator, here's a tip! Keep your personal beliefs out of it, okay? The only people referring to Obama as the messiah are on the republican side and it's divisive at best. Try referring to him as "Obama" instead, or feel free to post with a disclaimer that says you're not posting as a moderator. That'd be nice.

Sorry for off topic. What can I say about Joe Biden? He has a history of saying stupid things. He also has a history of saying down-to-earth, intelligent and observant things.

You can call him out for his gaffe's all you want, but those missteps of his haven't stopped him from passing some of the most effective legislation over the past 30 or so years.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

As opposed to not knowing how many houses you own?
And if trauma eliminates you from running then McCain is out as well.

To play devils advocate here, it could also be seen as that he sees people for what they are, not color, disability, or status. Not many people could "forget' someone was in a wheelchair, if you know what I mean. I think it is a good thing.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
If only Messiah Obama had told him to stand up. I'm sure Sen. Chuck Graham would have cast off his wheelchair and run up and down the aisles.

Cute little piece of partisan-trouble making you have there dbates.

These "Messiah Obama" digs being dished out around here are uncalled for, and just a nice piece of bait for someone to argue against. It isn't constructive or critical and is simply a snide remark to offend Obama supporters as being brainwashed cultists.

I thought we WEREN'T doing this sort of thing anymore?
How nice of you to set the example.

If you truly think that Obama supporters are cultists that believe he is a messiah then there no point in taking anything you say seriously as a MOD or otherwise.

You should be above this sort of lame tactic but then again maybe it's good to see that some MOD's were also guilty of the same nonsense Skeptic Overlord was trying to end.

Kudos.

- Lee

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
The only people referring to Obama as the messiah are on the republican side

Actually, all the PUMAS are as well. Check out the Hillary sites.
They also refer to him as Obamessiah, etc etc.

My opinion - Biden made a mistake but quickly recovered.
I'm sure he sincerly felt bad for the man after making the error.
It was not a major thing. Very minor and not newsworthy.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden made an embarrassing remark during a campaign appearance in Columbia, Mo., on Tuesday.

Standing before a large gathering, Biden tried to give special recognition to State Senator Chuck Graham by shouting out to him: “Chuck, stand up, let the people see you.”

It was only then that Biden realized Graham is confined to a wheelchair. But he recovered quickly and told the crowd to “stand up for Chuck.” The crowd responded with a rousing cheer for Graham.

Video

Yikes.

Well that must have been very uncomfortable for Biden.

Yes it is just a gaffe (an awkward one) but I doubt he meant to offend the man when he was trying to call attention to him for praise. You want to look at intentional attacks on the disabled look into what was done to Max Cleland during his campaigning for a second term as senator.

This though, is just a silly blunder on Biden's part.
Like when Bush waved at Stevie Wonder.

Someone should make a gaffe blooper reel.
I think we could all use a laugh at the expense of our "leaders".

- Lee

new topics

top topics

join