It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What period of history is the "godliest?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is more centerd towards the religiously-inclined. I would like to discuss what peoriod in history you all think is the "godliest" or that God would look down from Heaven at and be most pleased with?

The question arises because I see so many factions bickering over what a god-centered society should look like. I am curious what is closes to the model society?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'd have to guess the Puritan era.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

They definitely had some values that, although extreme, are admirable.

However from what I rememer the Puritan movement was much more about autonomy from the Catholic church than anything--at least that was the reason that they came to America.

Of course the witch trials--definitely not godly...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
After the reserection and assencietion of the christ the planetary spiritual powers were finally exchanged. This is documented at the coming of the "holy spirit" in the biblical texts. At that time all around the world was felt a new breath regardless of knowledge of christinized events.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My guess would be all the days leading up to that first bite of the apple. From then on, all of society has been corrupt on some level.
I would like to note, that this is a serious observation, not a joke (as some might think). If I were the God described in the Holy Bible, I would most likely always be able to find a small percentage of individuals that I could be proud of throughout time, but in no time since the "bite" has there been a single society so humble, perfect, obedient, or worth blessing.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

Even that wasn't pefect, you still had Satan

And not to nitpick, but I really meant recordable history here--as in, it happened at some definite place at some pinpointed time.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

They definitely had some values that, although extreme, are admirable.

However from what I rememer the Puritan movement was much more about autonomy from the Catholic church than anything--at least that was the reason that they came to America.

Of course the witch trials--definitely not godly...

Umm, do you realize only 3 true witches were burned at Salem? The rest were CHRISTIANS.

No lie.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
My guess would be all the days leading up to that first bite of the apple. From then on, all of society has been corrupt on some level.
I would like to note, that this is a serious observation, not a joke (as some might think). If I were the God described in the Holy Bible, I would most likely always be able to find a small percentage of individuals that I could be proud of throughout time, but in no time since the "bite" has there been a single society so humble, perfect, obedient, or worth blessing.

Good idea, or we can follow that line on thinking and say the first year after Noah's family landed on the mountains of Ararat.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

The fact that they burned anyone is reprehensible, whether they were actually witches or not.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The crusades or the inquisition for sure...

They showed how much they like god very much.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed

I think you are bringing that up sarcastically. But you raise a good point. The periods where people had the most faith that they were doing God's will are often the ones that we look back on as most atrocious.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eed

imvho, that would have to be the renaissance period

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Yes, Sarcasm. Thos periods was more of God weeping than anything.

But lets see if we can make this thread deeper....( a challenge for you...)

If darkness always surrounds the light,

than the path of light will always face darkness and suffering,

So does god view at any point on earth as the Godliest...No.

We are always "challenged" and we always sin.

He lives through us, more like a law of nature, and not as an independent observer.

"I give to the universe, and the universe give back..."

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Umm, do you realize only 3 true witches were burned at Salem? The rest were CHRISTIANS.

No lie.

No witches were burned at Salem.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

The fact that they burned anyone is reprehensible, whether they were actually witches or not.

We agree.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure that was the UN-Godliest part of the Catholic Church's history.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I think you are bringing that up sarcastically. But you raise a good point. The periods where people had the most faith that they were doing God's will are often the ones that we look back on as most atrocious.

But why can't you admire the Christians during that same time, that they loved Jesus so very much that they didn't accept Catholicism even at the hands of terrible persecution?

During those times they followed God right to the stake, or the torture chambers.

That's pretty impressive to me. It takes great faith to be martyred.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl

No lie.

No witches were burned at Salem.

The witches themselves claim otherwise. Listen to John Todd, he was one of the most powerful ones in America, and a blood member of the Collins bloodline of the Illuminati.

He stated they only burned 3 witches at Salem, the rest were Christians.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Belief in Jesus had very little to do with the Inquisition victims

Most of the people who were martyred were Jewish, Moslem, Cathars, Templars, as the article states... most of whom didn't beleive in Jesus at all, or at least not in the form of the Son of God.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

The faith of the executed is not what matters. It's that the executor's faith drove them to kill other people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join