It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Prices Drive Millions in U.S. to Public Transit: Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Gas Prices Drive Millions in U.S. to Public Transit: Report

rawstory.com

Millions of Americans ditched their cars and rode public transportation in the second quarter of this year compared with the same period in 2007 as high petrol prices continue to eat a hole in their wallets, a report showed Tuesday.

Between April and June, Americans took 2.83 billion trips on public transportation compared with 2.69 billion in the same three months last year, the report by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) showed.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I expect those numbers to keep rising, as people keep getting squeezed by every direction. Those who still HAVE jobs can't afford to spend the equivelant of a mortgage payment in gas each month to commute back and forth to work. We have needed some alternative fuel / energy source for FAR too long now...

And unfortunately, those folks who don't have ACCESS to Public Transit, are screwed.

The surge in numbers using public transportation was "remarkable, since an economic downturn usually causes fewer people to ride public transit," because of job losses, said APTA president William Millar.

Some 605,000 US jobs have been shed since the start of 2008 as the United States struggles with a horrific housing slump and a suffocating credit squeeze.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I am a statistic! We cut down to one car in order to save money. When that didn't help enough, I am now taking the bus. Or at least I will be starting next week. Thankfully pepper spray is legal here.

new topics

join