It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold is crashing.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Buying actual gold is pretty bad from a investment perspective. Your going to have to pay to store it (or take the risk of getting robbed), you can't actually go into just any store and BUY anything with gold bars (try getting them to take your gold instead of cash at Walmart), etc. If your a doomsdayer and think the end is constantly coming, your going to lose a TON of money (every recession cycle gold goes up, people go hysterical over 'the end being near', and then it goes down when the hysteria subsides).

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Could it be that the gold price is falling because nobody has any money left to buy it, at an institutional level, thus breaking the back of demand?

Deflation..............not good.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekIllumination
Could the Rothschilds have anything to do with this?

If most of what is reported about them is true, they have to have something to do with it, because they cornered the gold market for a long long time.

They could have simply stockpiled most of the world's physical gold, lied about quantities, and are now dumping huge amounts to provoke deflation so their other interests could pick up the spoils of a ruined economy or economies, for example.

It isn't for nothing that the old quote is: The wealth of a Rothschild is the ruin of nations.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
gold & precious metals, commodities, even oil are all being manipulated downward..... for two reasons

1. so the insiders who are manipulating those sectors can buy cheap from those too scared to hold on to their portfilos for 6 more months...

2. because the financial PTB, want stock market equities to be the only place to park your money

several nations including Russia and Saudi led Gulf States (also Iran) are going to introduce Gold currencies which will replace the US petro-dollar as the reserve currency in the world economies...(2-3 year timeframe)

the recent run-up of the value of the US dollar, was actually orchestrated by the kingdom of Saud & the USA treasury, central bank as the principals...
much cover has been given to the dollar run-up in value to the 'world-wide slowdown', economic contraction... and to a reassessed 'value' of the Euro to the USD...
Au Contraire!...it was the secret agreement to reduce middle east oil from $140+ to $100 per bbl, (to make the dollar mor valuable) so the OPEC nation could cash in their USD reserves into tangible assets, while the dollar value is being temporarily pumped up and commodities getting hammered...to all the insiders advantage!
the drop in the Euro , Yen, and other currencies are the dog getting wagged by the tail (i.e. Saudi, US secret deal to drop the price of oil)

gold, is getting pried out of the hands of momentum traders and queezy stomach gold-bugs...
the further gold & gold producers keeps falling, i will keep buying at an accellerated pace.

i'd look for the dust to settle down somewhat after the 3rd quarter stats are in... as some are aware, the 3rd quarter is when the CPI and Cost-
Of-Living-Allowences (COLAs) are adjusted...think about if during July-Aug-Sep that oil, transportation costs, stayed at +5.5%... the US government would have to pass on 5.5% COLAs on to the 40 some millions who get govt paychecks and receive social security checks..
A temporary (meaning a targeted 3rd quarter) decline in gas, food, living costs can be stastically juggled to add up to the usual measley 2.5% COLA...
thus saving the govt up to $750 Billion which they can spend on wars instead of COLAs in the federal budget.

i'm biased toward gold & PM, so take my post with a grain of salt

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ok, well looked at some charts and this is what I think is going to happen,

tubeimage.com...

Ok, lots of factors are at work... but the one that has been working is the (Dollar Bull Gold Bear trade) these two are not linked in any shape or form other than they are priced in Dollars ... but they are married at the moment... wonder when we will get a divorce ... and it will happen oil and vinegar...

First of all let me say a small short covering bounce is coming real soon,
it will fade fast... maybe 5% - no more than 10% ... ok ....
Now that Green Box is the first area of support on the three year "GLD" ETF chart, Basket of Gold Stock. 10% price hedge of gold price. so $700 equals $70 etc..

that's me prediction - and I'm pretty good at this stuff...

[edit on 11-9-2008 by BornPatriot]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
You buy gold for one of two reasons.

1.) You think that sit x is about to go down and the paper dollars and credit cards will have no value.

2.) Hedge against inflation. When the worth of a dollar is rapidly declining you put some of your assets into gold/silver.

The dollar is strengthening right now against the Euro and other currencies. If this trend continues you can expect that it will take fewer dollars to buy an ounce of gold or a barrel of oil.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

Looks like the banks that had shorted gold have taken their profits and now suddenly gold is not the best thing to be in. Don't let this fool you. The same banks will buy massive amounts just before it suddenly skyrockets. Keep your eyes peeled and you could make a fortune by doing the same, or not.

How would you know?

If the market is being pumped and dumped, how do you ever know when it is going to be pumped, or dumped again?

It's easy to say keep your eyes peeled. You can follow the bouncing trendline but it has no bottom and it has no top, it has no predictable cycle either. It's just a squiggly line.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
here's a relatively lengthly article, 'Gold Price Manipulation or Deflationary Crash'

www.marketoracle.co.uk...

it answers some interesting points that have been brought up in the thread...

and it points out again the adage...it's always darkest before....etc.
and that in the aftermath of the '29 crash... the gold producer Homestake Mining was the biggest winner of all.

if my gold & PM fund can hold on (the return is +4% as of 30 June), even with a bunch of redemptions at the low price we are seeing...
i'm expecting my holding to increase by magnitudes...even with a devalued dollar

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulvetann
As of now, the price of an ounce of gold is 767$!
It is the lowest in ca. 11 month, and it is dropping. fast.

Ouch! That huuuurts.

There is a universal fix for every pain and the fix is a word, and the word is www.youtube.com...

www.bloomberg.com...

See. It worked before, it works now, and will work forever and ever.

[edit on 9/18/2008 by stander]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Gold....ahhh now I remember....Saudi's sand may not be great for agriculture, but when currency dropped it's backing with the gold standard, crude, texas tea, black gold...all the fixin's of a great thanksgiving century.

Wasn't there a time in the not-so-distant past that Arabia purchased plenty gold then later, when it's value deflated, sold it back at a generous loss?

I may not recall the decision to take gold away, for I was not yet even a glint of a sparkle in my folks eyes, but, I do recall a story of my grandmother so fearful, that during the second of the 20th century world wars, when shortwave was deemed criminal, she went as far as to have it removed from her nice antique Zenith radio. My disappointment came when my Dad told me how they had run an arial that underground went beyond the property, under the road, and into a field, some 200+ feet as well as a description of the mammouth above ground portion of the antenna. And about all of the radio station from the US mainland as well as over seas that could be dialed in.

My point is, Gold will fluxuate (pricewise) as long as it sustains it's somewhat eternal structure, virtually unalterable by heat, even though one of the heaviest substances known, it's atomic element (#79) melting point of 1094.4 C. being malleable enough that it is typically hardened by alloying other metals to maintain shapes when cast into precious coins and trinkets. It's captivating metallic yellow color, does seem soothing as it touches skin, or feels so smooth and comfortable as an inlay or crown as the tongue rolls of it's pleasant seduction.

I believe that it is more desired by the effect it has when handled, in pretty much any form, rather than the fact that it retains it's appearance, tarnishlessness, and purity, and may be melted and shaped indefinitely.

King Tut must've had quite the stash looking at the usage for his burial, and I doubt even if he were living today that he would sell no matter the value or lack thereof.

I was contemplating hoarding some of this metal, but I decided to purchase silver and seed instead. Silver may not match gold cent for cent in any wildest dreams, but as a medium of exchange, it will suffice while others nibble at their nuggets, coins and bars, I plan on using the spoils of my labors to barter nutritious vegetables, fruits and herbs for that heavy gold being packed around for me now. And for ammunition should I run low.

When the infested carcass bones are looking like a 5 course meal, you can look me up at Somewhere, Planet Earth.

I'll be waiting.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

The radio with the golden antenna said that titanium added to gold can help to stabilize its market value.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I ventured onto ebay yesterday and found something interesting.
two auctions that were on for about the same amount of time ending about the same time. one was for 5 oz of actual silver, the other was for a certificate of ownership of 5 oz. of silver.

the actual silver went for $112.50, over $20/oz
the certificate though, well, that went for $73.00, around $14.60/oz...
the quote for silver on apmex this morning as I write this is $12.47, which seems to be more of an estimate of how much the empty promises on paper more than the actual value of the metal itself. the reason I say that they are empty promises written on paper is that the people who deal this stuff is basically operating like the banks do I think. they own x amount of silver but they are leveraging it so for each actual peice of silver, there might be 10, 20 or heck 100 or more people who "own" it. then, by what I hear, in order to get your silver in your hands.....well, many of these companies are charging fees that put the actual price closer to that $20 an oz, if not more.

and then there's the fact that worldwide, there are reports that there's a shortage of silver. which is what high demand, along with artificially low prices will produce!

If you don't believe me about the two auctions, I saved the links to both of them, I'd post them but well....not sure how that would look. I wasn't the seller of either of them and really don't want to give the impression that I am promoting their business.

it's just a little gem that I discovered yesterday. and well, I get a few of the newsletters from the silver and gold dealers and they've been going on about this for awhile now.

the quote you are seeing for silver and gold is the price of the paper, and like all the other paper out there now being issued by the financial institutions, it's value is being questioned and met with skepticism.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Physical gold will bring more than spot price on paper (and it is only paper). Gold took off yesterday and will continue up because foreign investment is backing away from the dollar (those who don't need our military). They realize what is going on with are banks is insolvency.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
my 2 cents of advice...go to a coin show in your area, there seems to be one around most of time. pick out the "WORST" and least valued silver coins and buy them. their value will reflect the closest value to the metal. stash them away, they will be a useful tool in barter or as a type of poor man's gold coin money. i have a stash of scruffed up roosevelt dimes, worn down silver quarters and half dollar pieces. and if the sh*t doesn't hit the fan, they are great gifts for your grandchildren.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Must be a computer glitch here. It's September 18, 2010, not September 18, 2008.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
If United States does not invade another country and secure its oil resources soon, gold will continue to reach new high.

Only one scenario that may cause gold to devalue to early 1990s level is that if United States (or its major states) disappear off the map overnight... maybe giant sinkhole events.

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Okay, whoever pulled this thread up, thanks.

$767 and now it is at $1200, I hope no one listened to this thread back then!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Ooops sorry, now at $1300.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I sure the hell glad I didn't take this advice!! I've been saving for 10 years now and wow!! Im in Heaven!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Gold - $1310
Silver - $21.75

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c02994833008.jpg[/atsimg]

To all of our Charlie Brown replicants, if you're truly interested in protecting your hard earned capital, it may be time to abandon the pumpkin patch, invest in a few deprogramming sessions, and most importantly...improve your Gold/Silver IQ.

You deserve it.

Please click here for an important message from my little friend.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join