It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama The Sexist: You Can Put Lipstick On A Pig

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
This entire debate is specious. A non-issue. However, it does underscore the idea that, once again, the GOP has hauled out wedge issues in their desperate effort to win an election. Divide and conquer. Thanks Karl Rove for lowering the bar once again.

Hey how about this one, Obama doesn't open his mouth and insert his foot in it and the Republicans wouldn't point out the foot in his mouth.

Did Karl Rove make Obama use that terminology?

Jeez, trace it back to the source first. Blame your Candidate for making a stupid anaolgy given the current context of Lipstick?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Fonzy:
"Jumped the shark"

Indiana:
"Nuked the fridge"

Obama:
"Lipped the pig"

That is all.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
People just don't quit with the drama and partisan smearing.

He never even mentioned Palin. He was talking about McCain's policy and then he said it wasn't change, it was the same thing and calling it change. Then he said "You can put lipstick on a pig...".

He also said, “You can you can, wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called change, it’s still going to stink after 8 years".

OH MY GODZ He just called Palin a stinky fish!!!!! Stop the presses.

Honestly, use your damn brains.

*Edit to add:

Here's Chaney in 2004:

Source

"As we say in Wyoming, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"

The plot thickens. Chaney is a sexist too! Not only that, but he can see into the future to know that Palin is going to be on the VP ticket! That's crazy.

It seems that news agencies know they can just push any agenda they want without the citizens being the wiser. This is an Internet forum that is supposed to be filled with above average intelligence users. That's why the phrase "Deny Ignorance" is so big here.

Yet I see people still being spoon fed comments taken out of context, and falling for it hook, line, and sinker. Is it that it is too hard for people to actually think about it and realize it was taken out of context? Or do people just hear what they want to hear?

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Honestly, look at the video and watch how the audience responds. It's obvious they "get it" and they are Obama supporters. They laugh due to the similarity to the Palin remark. It's not that funny of a remark otherwise.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tommy_boy Plus the converse argument can be made that he would not intentionally have caused such a negative backlash on purpose, in an effort to to intentionally hurt his campaign.

At best, it's a 2-day story.

Yes, you've stumbled onto the strategy without even realizing it. You're right. It's a two-day story. It's the same two-day story strategy that the Obama campaign has been using for 19 months now.

Day 1: Obama says something that can be taken two ways. On the surface, it's defensible. But the underlying "message" is clearly offensive to some people.

The offended people react and criticize Obama for what they inferred from his statement.

Day 2: Obama plays the role of the innocent victim. He acts self-righteous, as if he is above the fray, and he characterizes his detractors as playing politics as usual. And while participating in this charade, he claims that he loves his country too much to participate in this charade.

He's becoming so predictable.

But he really needs to learn a new strategy if he has any chance because what worked to win the Democratic nomination against Clinton isn't going to work in the general election. It's going to backfire. People can see through it, and see how disingenuous he really is the 50th time he tries this. You can see they've sent Biden out on the same mission with his comments about stem cell research and parent's with disabled kids.

The Obama camp has used the sympathy card incessantly in their fund raising emails. In fact, it's the ONLY emails I've seen. They go like this...

1. So and so is attacking Barack.
2. That means they're attacking you too.
3. We can't let them get away with this.
4. Send us money.

I will post the next "pig and lipstick" email asking for money when it comes in.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Or maybe they just laughed because it is true. It's not a famous phrase that is commonly used for no reason. It's catchy and funny.

I wouldn't have even noticed the connection to Palin's lipstick comment if no one had brought it up.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I don't know how much longer this story will continue to linger but we can all agree that Obama made a huge mistake.

It certainly tells us once again that he is inexperienced because remember,
"Good judgment comes from experience, and often, experience comes from bad judgment."

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Can someone explain to the non americans/americanised people on ATS...

Just what exactly a 'hockey mom' is?

Does she play hockey during the day to pay for her kids upbringing?

Did she give birth to a hockey team?

Or does a 'hockey mom' mean something far more sinister?

Explain...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

It just means her kids play hockey. Same as "soccer mom". They are notorious for looking hot while driving their kids around in a mini-van.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

It's like "soccer mom". Women whose day to day family duties include taking the rugrats to hockey practice/games. You can pretty much interchange "hockey" with any other youth sport/activity.

Peace

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

It just means her kids play hockey. Same as "soccer mom". They are notorious for looking hot while driving their kids around in a mini-van.

That's all? Who gives a damn about what sport someone's kid plays????
Does that my mum a chess mum?

I don't think she's that hot either, but i guess a lot of people will be swayed into voting because of that.

'Hockey Mom' -

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
McCain could hit this one right out of the park right now.

Imagine McCain going on a primetime show up to a podium in front of an audience. Not hard to imagine. All he needs to do next is pull out a big tube of bright red lipstick, smear it on his lips and say, quit picking on women Obama, I'm right here.

That would be it, election over.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

No doubt. Who would vote for a man crazy enough to put lipstick on during a live broadcast? Especially over a comment that was clearly taken out of context.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Again, we will have to agree to disagree. It's not that funny of a joke, regardless of what you say. It's a well known term, not a funny well known term. To use it just after Palin's Hockey Mom/Bulldog bit was a very poor choice of words for Obama, will you at least admit that?

The story wouldn't have legs if a decent amount of people didn't see it a backhanded slap of Palin's remark. I'm a man, the real test is how women will perceive it, Obama can't afford to tick off the female vote again. If they take it as talking about Palin, it will be bad for him.

Obama is being forced off his message and game, they better refocus fast or they are going to get run over.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Show me where he mentioned Palin in any way before saying that and I'll admit it. For it to be considered a slam towards Palin, it would have to be referenced towards her in some way.

Otherwise, it's just a comment taken out of context, with the only thing connecting the two being a joke Palin told about lipstick.

That wouldn't hold up in any court I know of.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

No doubt. Who would vote for a man crazy enough to put lipstick on during a live broadcast? Especially over a comment that was clearly taken out of context.

Maybe for any other politician, but McCain is the Maverick and a war hero tough guy, only he could pull it off. Obama would be finished, what comeback could there possibly be, especially since everybody knows he is gulty of attacking Palin instead of him.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I look at two ways.

Obama- he used the phrase but I did not see no sarcastic or ill intentioned look on his face when he said it. I feel due to this observation he was talking about the policies.

Audience- They all burst out into laughter because the phrase contained the word lipstick, which Palin used, and the audience mistook this phrase. I really think the audience felt that Obama was taking a swing at Palin and that is the reason they responded like they did.

With this being said I do think it was a poor choice of words especially considering that Palin had already laid out the latest context of lipstick when she gave her speech at the convention.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I will accept your argument that The Maverick may be the only politician that can pull it off.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Check this out!

i242.photobucket.com...

[edit on 9/10/08 by mabus325]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

The reference is in the comment itself. I'm really surprised you are not seeing the possible connection between Sarah Palin's remark about Hockey Mom's , Pitbulls and Lipstick and then Obama using the Pig with lipstick.

Even if it wasn't intended as a slight, don't you see how people could relate the two comment's. Again in the video, the audience laughs at it too much for it to be just Obama's comment, it has to be taken in the context of what Palin said prior in her speech.

At best it was a very poor choice of words for Obama to use, at worst it was a double entendre that many people, including the audience he was speaking to, got.

Either way it damages Obama. He is forced back on defense when he should be on message.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by pavil]

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join