It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama The Sexist: You Can Put Lipstick On A Pig

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It looks like Obama the sexist is collaping under pressure.
He just said the most stupidist thing to date, practically calling Palin a pig.

LEBANON, Va. -- "That's not change," Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., said of what Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., is offering.

"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

The crowd rose and applauded, some of them no doubt thinking he may have been alluding to Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's ad lib during her vice presidential nomination acceptance speech last week, "What's the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Lipstick."

story here

I wonder how many women are gouing to be up in arms about this major gaffe.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You have got to be kidding me.

I..... literally am in shock. Im sure some constituents on the other side of the aisle here on ATS will have to agree with me on this one.

How utterly absurd. That is called an EXPRESSION. It's not a sexist remark. The quote from your source is like reading an Op Ed. It was pure conjecture on the part of the reporter to think the ''pig'' in the expression represented a woman or Palin.

You must of glanced over this part of the article.

Obama added that "it is not going to be easy ... John McCain has a compelling biography, you know Sarah Palin is an interesting story." The crowd booed. "No, she’s new!" Obama said. "She hasn’t been on the scene, you know, she’s got five kids and my hat goes off to anybody who’s looking after five. I’ve got two and they tire Michelle and me out!" -- Jake Tapper and Sunlen Miller

UPDATE: Obama senior adviser Robert Gibbs insists the senator was not referring to Palin. "That's an old expression," Gibbs says.

There are plenty of things to attack these candidates on. This is not one of them.
I hope this waste of space of a thread topic gets locked and thrown away.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This was at worst a double entandre. Putting lipstick on a pig is such a common part of the language I doubt anyone would actually take it as sexist.

Unless they are a rabid Sarah Palin supporter.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Of course it's an old expression, yet his people are already doing damage control, but it still makes you wonder why he didn't pick Hillary as his running mate.
A sexist or not a sexist, you know damn well it was directed at Palin.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

It was not at all directed at Palin. Can you not understand what the expression means? It has nothing to do with male/female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me break it down for ya...

The pig is ugly

The lipstick can make be considered make up, which makes people more attractive( usually)

Lipstick on a pig will still not take away from the fact that the pig is ugly (if you think pigs are ugly that is)

Get it??????

link   

How utterly absurd. That is called an EXPRESSION. It's not a sexist remark. The quote from your source is like reading an Op Ed. It was pure conjecture on the part of the reporter to think the ''pig'' in the expression represented a woman or Palin.

Well, what was Obama referring to then? Was it just an analogy for the sake of analogies? Did it not have to do with Palin's Lipstick on a Pitbull remark during her speech?

Obama is stooping to new lows. From racism to sexism - Obama fears he is losing his footing in this election.

link   

Here's an even more underhanded sexist remark, fanning the flames of all the people saying Palin shouldn't be running because she should be home taking care of the kids:

"No, she’s new!" Obama said. "She hasn’t been on the scene, you know, she’s got five kids and my hat goes off to anybody who’s looking after five. I’ve got two and they tire Michelle and me out!"

Not only is that a sexist swipe at Palin, it's a misleading portrayal of his own lifestyle in which he admits to rarely being around his kids. When do you think the kids tired out Obama? He even said he usually spends Father's Day playing basketball or golf.

Yes, I agree with the OP that Barry O. is beginning to implode. He's totally off his game. His Denver speech was long on anger and short on optimism.

Ironically, he's coming across as bitter and angry. And I have no doubt in reading the entire comment that the "lipstick" on a pig comment was absolutely meant to be a jab a Palin.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

jamie, I had more faith in you. But on this topic, Ive lost it. If you really think this is a sexist comment, then I think politics has clouded your vision. For that Im sorry.

and the quote you added, I already put in my fist post here, thats definitely not sexist.

Hes commending her for raising 5 kids. An accomplishment as parent in this world. Wheres the sexism?

Sheesh, talk about reaching......

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

A woman got fired for mentioning the word lynch with Tiger woods. The crowd thought he was talking about Palin.

Here is the video

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Well, I'm a woman and it doesn't phase me in the least. That is a very old saying that I think you're reading too much into. I can google the saying and find it in a million different websites, blogs, speeches, articles etc etc etc.

All it refers to is sweetening or "beautifying" something to make it more attractive, but in the end it's still what it always was underneath. Here's a few references

Lipstick on a Pig

Lipstick (Under the Vernacular Heading)

There are plenty of sayings out there that can be distorted and twisted to sound degrading when in actuality they're not. Especially if they're sayings we're used to growing up with. Certain areas of the world have their own well used/heard often sayings that perhaps others don't use in other areas.

But I'm sure everyone knows this. I think at this point everyone is grasping at straws and hoping to post the "next big blooper" from either side of the election. By the way I don't live in the US so I don't have a viewpoint on either side.

Michelle

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I think the lipstick on a pig comment was referring to McCain's version of change (or perceived lack thereof)....not necessarily his running mate.

Now, I am no fan of Obama, but I think jumping on this remark as sexist is kind of premature.

[edit on 9/9/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Let me break it down for you since you either seemed hard-pressed to catch onto things or are far left like Obama:

Palin's Speech: "Hockey Moms are Pitbulls with Lipstick"

Obama's Speech: "You can put Lipstick on a Pig, but it is still a Pig"

Do you get it? Or - is being an Obama supporter clouding your political views?

Give me a break. As Alexandro said, you know dam well it was directed at a Palin.

You'd either have to be naive or an Obama supporter which seem to often be one in the same.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

My goodness, politics has clouded peoples rational judgement.

I cant take a poster seriously when he said obama is being sexist with this comment ,esp when their signature is obama is lying to you.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
Let me break it down for you since you either seemed hard-pressed to catch onto things or are far left like Obama:

Palin's Speech: "Hockey Moms are Pitbulls with Lipstick"

Obama's Speech: "You can put Lipstick on a Pig, but it is still a Pig"

Do you get it? Or - is being an Obama supporter clouding your political views?

Give me a break. As Alexandro said, you know dam well it was directed at a Palin.

You'd either have to be naive or an Obama supporter which seem to often be one in the same.

Seems directed at Palin to me.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I don't know damn well that it was directed at Sarah Palin, thank you. What I do know is that it might not have been the best analogy to use at the time. It's a figure of speech, relax.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

It was not at all directed at Palin. Can you not understand what the expression means? It has nothing to do with male/female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me break it down for ya...

The pig is ugly

The lipstick can make be considered make up, which makes people more attractive( usually)

Lipstick on a pig will still not take away from the fact that the pig is ugly (if you think pigs are ugly that is)

Get it??????

Please re-read this quote.

It's like Obama saying ''if it aint broke dont fix it''... That must be sexist too. Why? No clue, Obama said it, so it must be sexist.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Regardless if he meant it to be a shot at Palin or not the other side will make damm sure the impression seems to be that it was meant at Palin.

so did Obama put his foot in his mouth?
I would say yes inadvertantly so.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32

It was not at all directed at Palin.

Here's a simple question for you. How can YOU KNOW Obama's thoughts now? How can you say definitively it WASN'T directed at Palin?

Can you not understand what the expression means? It has nothing to do with male/female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrong. Lipstick is generally something female's wear.

Let me break it down for you...

A couple of weeks ago Obama had a big lead.

McCain picked Palin as VP.

Palin had 40 million people watch her destroy everything about Obama's persona -his styrofoam columns, his memoirs vs. laws, his wife's lack of pride in her country, his parting of the waters, etc.

During this speech, Palin made a joke about the difference between her and a pitbull was that SHE WEARS LIPSTICK.

This line was THE most replayed sound bite of her speech.

Obama, giving a speech, chose to use the pig and lipstick metaphor. He also followed that with an "OLD fish" metaphor. Not dead fish. OLD fish.

It was either a sexist cheap shot, or easily perceived as one. If the former, it says something about his character. If the latter, it says something about him being so clueless that he didn't realize he would be labeled a sexist for this comment. Either way, he looks bad.

Get it?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I don't know damn well that it was directed at Sarah Palin, thank you. What I do know is that it might not have been the best analogy to use at the time. It's a figure of speech, relax.

The original analogy is this: "If you polish a Tird, it is still a Tird".

The above is the ORIGINAL analogy.

Obama just changed it (he's all about change you know) and adapted to Palin's lipstick comment.

Why did the crowd laugh and cheer at such a basic analogy? It's because they, too, knew it was directed at Palin.

Obama can do no wrong in your eyes. You have placed him on a rediculous pedastal built on a House of Cards.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join