It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Says Life Begins at Conception

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Don't you kinda feel sorry for Biden?

I mean with Palin pretty much being the talk of the country, you are almost left asking your self who the heck is Joe Biden?

Well he made news earlier this week but of course the news has gone unnoticed by the media because the comment he made goes against what most Liberals believe.

Biden Says Life Begins at Conception

WASHINGTON — Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic nominee for vice president, departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception.

While Mr. Biden’s views may not be new to Democrats in his circle, his comments, in an interview on “Meet the Press” on NBC, came at a time when his party is confronted with a new face: Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, whose anti-abortion stance and decision to give birth just five months ago to a baby with Down syndrome have revved up the conservative base of her party.

The New York Times article

I wonder if Obama is on his hands and knees begging Hillary for forgiveness.

Way to go Joe.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by Alxandro]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yes this is true. Joe Biden is Catholic and believes that life begins at conception. I would like to point out though, you left out the beginning of the article title:

As a Matter of Faith, Biden Says Life Begins at Conception

And you also left out the second part of the first paragraph that you quoted:

WASHINGTON — Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., the Democratic nominee for vice president, departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception. But the Delaware senator added that he would not impose his personal views on others, and had indeed voted against curtailing abortion rights and against criminalizing abortion.

While Mr. Biden’s views may not be new to Democrats in his circle, his comments, in an interview on “Meet the Press” on NBC, came at a time when his party is confronted with a new face: Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, whose anti-abortion stance and decision to give birth just five months ago to a baby with Down syndrome have revved up the conservative base of her party.

Glad to be of assistance.

And no, I don't feel sorry for Joe Biden.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think that biden "religious remarks" are nothing more than a pathetic attempt to steer some attention from Palin the "fundamentalist" to his side.

I can not stand this political aka religious bickering of the candidates just to play their religious card for the gullible faithfull.

Sick.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Multiple Junkie

Yes, Junkie is right. I watched the interview, and he said he would not impose his belief on others. I'm not worried. Don't feel sorry for him at all. He came across as a well spoken, intelligent person. When will Palin do an interview on ""Meet the Press?" or ANY interview? I'm waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Oh, and the debates will be interesting.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

yeah it actually shocks me religion plays such a big part in the USA.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101

yeah it actually shocks me religion plays such a big part in the USA.

Why? It's widely-known that the US is one of the most religious nations in the western world. Do you realize how many denominations of Christianity, for starters, were birthed in this country?

Mormonism is a fine example of a very American religion.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I was supporting Joe Biden from the moment he declared his candidacy to the moment he pulled out of the race. I think it's admirable that he is a politician who actually says what he believes. He isn't dishonest about his opinions and you know this is true because he has gotten into trouble for it in the past.

I don't have a problem with Joe Biden believing that life begins at conception, and I certainly don't have a problem with him not imposing his own personal views on millions upon millions of Americans who don't get to vote in the Senate.

Biden on Abortion

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
See this is designed to try and make him look bad. But sorry, thats not how it works. Biden, like KERRY, is a catholic and feels life begins at conception... fine. I dont. But we both agree that it is the woman's choice to end the pregnancy.

See... Biden and Kerry don't let their religion affect their lawmaking.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

becuase usually the more advanced a society/country becomes the less influence religion has.

Just look at the catholic church now compared to 200+ years ago. They have nowhere near the power or influence they used to have.

Europe has been moving towards a humanist ideology for decades and in politics you will hear nothing about God. The electorate would not tolerate any religous stuff from their politicians. But in the states there still seems to be no sign of that happening.

I would estimate the US is about 100+ years behind. That worries me.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
For once, a politician has respected the separation of church and state. Way to go Biden. I am firmly pro choice, but I respect others belief that, according to their faith, abortion is wrong. However, faith has no place in government. Pro-life is nothing but a pretty way of forcing one's religious beliefs on others. The shackling of a woman's free will is by the religious beliefs of others equates to government mandated religion, which always, always leads to malcontent, civil disobedience, and war. One way or another, war always follows the spread of religion.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

How does Biden reconcile his belief that life begins at conception, and his urging to use embryos for stem cell research?

It seems he is a proponent for experimentation on living humans and then throwing them away. The two positions don't make sense.

And it's Biden who continually makes himself look bad. He doesn't need any help.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Isn't he fantastic?
He has his personal beliefs but realizes that he cannot and should not impose his beliefs on other people AND that he shouldn't bring his religion into politics. I love that man!

By the way, I am adamantly pro-choice and also believe life begins at conception.
It's simple. My beliefs about when life begins may be different than others beliefs.

And truly, not one of us REALLY knows when life begins. It's above our pay grade.

Go JoeBama!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
How does Biden reconcile his belief that life begins at conception, and his urging to use embryos for stem cell research?

It seems he is a proponent for experimentation on living humans and then throwing them away. The two positions don't make sense.

These embryos everyone is so valiantly protecting? They get destroyed even if nobody is doing stem cell research on them. They get incinerated or they are perpetually frozen if no research is being done on them, and they get incinerated if research is being done on them.

I mean, the opposition to stem cell research thinks that by banning the research, they are protecting these embryos from destruction. But they're not. They're going to be destroyed ANYWAY.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cyfre

I don't even want to go in there, many people pro lifers think that the rest of the population are dumb and stupid that we don't know what goes on with the darn embryos.

I have a friend that disposed of about 25 of them trying to get pregnant with her two set of twins.

4 embryos got to make into born children while the rest just when down the trash.

Sometimes is hard to teach some to deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Exactly my point. So out of 25 embryos, 21 of them were destroyed. And that's just ONE couple trying to get pregnant and start a family. Doesn't it make sense to do something with those other 21 embryos that are headed for the incinerator anyway? Doesn't it makes sense to give those embryos SOME worth before their demise by at least using them for research purposes? I mean, they're going to be destroyed anyway.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Or, should we tag people that use in vitro fertilization with a crime every time that they disposed of fertilized embryos?

You know sometimes the whole issue of conception, abortion, right to life and anti abortionist is so bias that make my head spin with the double standards and the rhetorics.

One more thing even when my friend finally had her wanted children it took her about 10 years of trial and errors and on top of that she had three miscarriages, first one with triplex, and two with twins, as her uterus was not made to stand pregnancies, in order to finally have her two set of twins, two boys and two girls she had to lay in bed for the entire 9 months.

While I feel happy for her motherhood I wonder if all those failed fetuses and disposed embryos were worth it, but she had the money and cheap were not the procedures.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You bring up an excellent point. If we're going to make it a crime to get an abortion, and life begins at conception, then destroying an embryo is murder and anyone who has embryos destroyed should be charged with murder. I mean, if we're going by the pro-life logic.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good for Biden! Now if only some of these others can hop off the hypocrisy express of "freedom" and "constitution" and actually keep church and religion seperate.

No women should forced to go through further pressure, complication if shes been raped or molested. Period. Its their choice, an individual choice.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre

I mean, the opposition to stem cell research thinks that by banning the research, they are protecting these embryos from destruction. But they're not. They're going to be destroyed ANYWAY.

Your response, whether true or not, has nothing to do with taking a position that life begins at conception, and then being a proponent for experimenting on that life.

Also, part of the issue with stem cell research involves "harvesting" embryos for the research. Seems a person who thinks life begins at conception would be appalled at the prospects of harvesting this life for experimentation.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I question the character of the man that believes life starts at conception but stands aside and watches millions of lives killed and does nothing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join