It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why The Premature Thread Closure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Mad respect to all Mods, ATS is a very busy site with numerous posts and alot of nonsense. Politics has become a game of finger pointing and bickering. Why are threads like these given warnings of closure with no example of what was done wrong? I'm just a little confused about this and need some clarification.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I think there indeed needs to be a reason why threads are closed.

On the same note, I agree with the closure of some threads as there are many threads that are just plain junk with no fact to back them up. it goes against the main fundamental of this site. Denying Ignorance.

The site has in recent years been flooded with garbage.

But I do agree the reason should be cited so that people know what will be and what won't be tolerated. I agree with freedom of speech, but when freedom of speech is used to flood the place with hate and disinformation, it's hurting the core cause of the site.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
If you want to know what will and won't be tolerated, look here. It's pretty straight forward I think.

If you want to talk about the issues, fine. If you want to talk about personal matters in relation to the candidates, take it somewhere else. Be courteous, be respectful. Don't use baiting tactics or attacks. It's all right there in that thread.

Seems pretty clear to me.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Thanks for the outstanding information. I did receive this thread in my U2U box. Please notice the time stamp on each thread. This thread was created two days prior to the one you provided.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Glad I could help.

Also remember that if you come across a thread that has been closed, and you really can't figure out why, make a comment about it in this thread, and someone will get back to you on it.

Outside of that, if you look at the bottom of each thread, there will be a list of moderators for that particular forum. If you have a questions about a thread closure, try dropping a U2U to one of them asking about why. Remember they are very busy though and receive tons of messages, so the Issues Thread is probably your best bet.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I would like to know how come threads i see that try to link ATS and the CIA are closed and deleted?

Yesterday i was reading one, and noticed that SO had posted in it. I went to check it out, and he had made a response.

And hour later i see it on the "Recent Posts" page, and go to check it out...and it has been deleted.

ATS, you know...you may not be involved with the CIA....but if you keep doing stuff like that, no one is going to believe you.

Of course, i have seen MANY threads deleted. Once, a thread was deleted and the guy was banned. He didn't post inappropriately that I could find. So the only real idea I have is that the subject of his thread was unnerving to the PTB here at ATS.

Deleting threads is going to drive me and many others away from this site. And it most certainly betrays the mantra of "Deny Ignorance".

[edit on 30-9-2008 by bigfatfurrytexan]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It's like garlic. I really love the stuff. But if you have it everyday for a month, not only does your breath drive vultures off of dead squirrels, but you get sick at the sight of the container. The first four hundred times this CIA stuff came up, I was amused. Now I just want to lose my lunch when I see it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Deleting threads is going to drive me and many others away from this site. And it most certainly betrays the mantra of "Deny Ignorance".

Deny Ignorance doesn't necessitate leaving the ignorance sitting there for all to see.

A bit like saying "Deny Dust" and then never picking up a duster to clear it off the ornaments...

This is certainly a site founded upon ideals/discussion that by the very nature attracts people who are highly suspicious - and often even more so of any person in any position of perceived 'authority'.

As such its again a bit like leaving a chunk of cheese out on the bench and not expecting mice to continually come to take nibbles.

I wish we were CIA. I'd certainly benefit from their paychecks.

To me its patently ridiculous that ATS is CIA or any other alphabet agency...as I've been here and involved from the beginning. Then again - cue all those who will know say "You would say that, you're a CIA Disinfo Agent"...

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
CIA stuff isn't all that gets deleted.

Why delete a thread on Schumann Resonance? When it was dealing with factual information (that I hadn't had time to review/bookmark)? And why ban the poster?

Just one incident. One of the first i noticed.

I am not accusing of anything. I am just wondering why.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I do understand most thread closures. I just think some of the political threads could go a bit longer. People are very passionate about their beliefs and are concerned about the current state of our nation. Political threads here at ATS is a good place to get these concerns off are chest.

No harm no foul.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I am curious to know that too. Seems a bit strange.

I saw one disappear without reason 2 days ago. About UFOs in Norway and Project Hessdalen (?). Now there are threads that are older and still in existence but that one was deleted without an apparent reason.

Can we not request such info from the Mod that deleted it?

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I was a bit peeved that my thread about McCain's changing speech patterns got closed. I took care to provide examples of what I was talking because I thought it was an important topic, and most of those who did get to reply agreed. I figured I'd not bother the mods because I'd probably run afoul of the guidlines somehow, but as long as this thread is iup, it would be nice to at least let the OP know why threads are deleted.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have no idea. It could have had an advertisement from a person known to try and recruit for his site. The OP could have had a vulgar name and was asked to change it and repost. The OP could have been a returning banned member with a record for bad conduct. I don't know.

But when I did a search on Shumann Resonance, there were several threads open.

You see, this place doesn't work from a standpoint of an assembly plant. Mods don't have hours and timeclocks. We don't have agendas to stifle certain things. Hell, we often don't agree on an action to be taken, and discuss it and sort through to find the best way to handle things. It all runs on an ad hoc basis. (If we were CIA I'm sure they would send me a book full of "do's and don'ts.)

We just do the best we can, sometimes under trying conditions. We do it with whatever man, (and woman) power we have at the time. We get a constant barrage of colorful U2Us for every action, or lack of action, we take. (One staff member got a death threat less than 24 hours ago- so if this guy wrote the thread you wanted, he won't be back to expand his ideas, as such people have no place here.)

In the end, if something is lost, done wrong, not done at all, done poorly, or anything else, it really is our fault. But I assure you it wasn't done to hide some truth from the masses, or at the orders of some agency, or because we're ethnically biased, or because we're really reptoids trying to take over this pathetic little planet. It happens because we're humans, and because the very nature of a board like this leads to errors creeping in, no matter how hard we try to not let it happen.

And in the grand scheme of things, I think we do more that's right than wrong.

(You'll note that this post is encased in the little box that says I'm speaking for myself, and not for ATS as an official staff person. Another little thing we had to add, another time consuming step, because some members couldn't tell the person from the job title, and used every personal post we made as the cause for another drama bomb.
)

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

You mods rock, nothing but love for you all. Theres a thin line between what's considered inappropiate and you handle it well.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
To back up NGC2736 here:

Yup - we do tend to discuss actions before they are taken. Unless they are some rather unquestionably blatant *fouls* of the Terms and Conditions, in which case if its pretty clear cut then we slice 'em out.

The majority of the time in other instances however its a discussion process to seek viewpoints from othe Staff and this - hopefully - different perspectives.

I can assure you that Staff are not clones - we certainly have differing opinions. We are also multi-cultural, coming from different cultures and countries, both genders, many ages and differing Political, social, intellectual, conceptual, spiritual understandings. To be honest I'm surprised we even get along as well as we do sometimes...

If a call is made to delete or move or trash a thread/reply we are still ALL accountable for our actions. Top down. The process of accountability is via the Complaints/Suggestions link...and I guess in some ways via threads such as this (though yeah, so many of them end up locked and directed to Complaints/Suggestions or the ATS Issues Thread).

Those Complaints/Suggestions get viewed and reviewed by Staff...again more discussion before anything is done/decided.

We've certainly had decisions reversed and apologies made after closer inspection and reflection upon issues/actions addressed via the Complaints/Suggestions process.

I know I've received the odd "Whoa dude, bad call on that one" decisions from Staff/Admin and have had actions I've taken in locking threads etc reversed...I've also eaten my fair share of humble-pie and apologised to Members whenever I've been deemed to have made a wrong call...so it certainly happens.

What doesn't happen is we are not anyones Fairy Godmother...and won't wave a magic wand and *poof* into existance whatever Complainants/Suggesters desire.

Just because you may believe we acted wrongly doesn't mean we're by default going to see it your way. We may still review an action and think you're still wrong and so the action stands.

Such is life. Anyone who ever claims or expects fairness 100% of the time must be living in a vaccum. It doesn't happen. The nature of humanity ensures that.

All Staff are available via u2u as well...and as has been pointed out already there are Forum specific Mods listed at the bottom of the thread/forum pages. Admins and Supers such as myself pretty much go across all forums, so we're also available via u2u.

I have to also put this out there: Some things we can't and won't share with you. Why? Because it really isn't Open-Day at the Zoo 24/7.
There are some things that get chopped/changed due to events behind the scenes, things that really aren't public business at all. Again - thats pretty much par for the course wherever you go.
I for one aren't going to allow all and sundry to come rifle through my pockets just because they may feel they have a right to - if that means people will perceive I'm covering up something, so be it.

I doubt anyone else would allow it either if they were perfectly honest.

So...long story short: If you want to know, then ask via the Complaints/Suggestions process, or via u2u to the appropriate Staff/s. It doesn't mean we're going to tell you, but if we can we probably will.

*I also don't use the 'Mod Box' around replies I make. Why? Because I stand - or fall - by what I say...be I Mod or Member.*

Peace.

new topics

top topics

join