It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ET could 'tickle' stars to create galactic internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Found this very interesting article in "space.newscientist.com" today, and I think this theory is intriguing. Maybe ET's are posting on their very own intergalactic ATS? I just wonder what they are saying about us!

I have told you a million times! Stop cruising around that Earth planet! They are getting suspicious!

Advanced extraterrestrial civilisations may be sending signals through space by "tickling" stars, new research suggests. The signalling would be the galactic equivalent of the internet.
"If it exists, it might be revealed by an analysis of already-existing stellar data," says John Learned of the University of Hawaii in Honolulu.
Learned and his colleagues have focused their attention on stars that vary regularly in brightness. Crucially, these "Cepheid variables" are so luminous they can be seen as far away as 60 million light years.
Jolting the star with a kick of energy – possibly by shooting it with a beam of high-energy particles called neutrinos – could advance the pulsation by causing its core to heat up and expand, they say.
That could shorten its brightness cycle – just as an electric stimulus to a human heart at the right time can advance a heartbeat. The normal and shortened cycles could be used to encode binary "0"s and "1"s.

Full article:
space.newscientist.com...

Cepheid variables:
A Cepheid variable or Cepheid is a member of a particular class of variable stars, notable for a fairly tight correlation between their period of variability and absolute luminosity. The namesake and prototype of these variables is the star Delta Cephei, discovered to be variable by John Goodricke in 1784.
Because of this correlation (discovered and stated by Henrietta Swan Leavitt in 1908[1] and given precise mathematical form by her in 1912[2]), a Cepheid variable can be used as a standard candle to determine the distance to its host cluster or galaxy. Since the period-luminosity relation can be calibrated with great precision using the nearest Cepheid stars, the distances found with this method are among the most accurate available.

Cepheid in the Spiral Galaxy M100

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 9-9-2008 by ziggystar60]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Cepheid variables have nothing to do with ET's the stars just kind of pulsate very often and its luminosity changes thats why it is called a variable star and anyway the ET thing is just a joke.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

It is just a theory, so nobody is claiming that this intergalactic Internet for the ETs actually excists. But I still think it's an interesting idea.
And this article also made me want to learn more about Cepheid variables, and learning something new is always a good thing. That is my theory, anyway.

And some of us do take this whole idea about extraterrestial life seriously, by the way. You can recognize us by our tin foil hats.
Just joking. Peace, Peacejet.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It's a fascinating idea, though as it says in the article, using Cepheids is probably a rather primitive and clumsy application of the technology.

The other problem with it, of course, is that it would take years, centuries or even millennia for a message to travel from sender to receiver.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The nearest star to Earth, besides the Sun is called Proxima Centari.
It's 4.2 light years away.
If Aliens were using stars to send signals to us here on Earth, then it would be a very slow means of communication.
Even if they were sending signals to us from our own Sun, it would still take about 8 mins and 20 secs.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One of the things Carl Sagan(*) suggested was the best way for ET to send a message might be do cause a nearby star to go supernova (or some other novel stellar event).

This would cause civilizations which had observatories and technology to immediately direct their attention to that area of the sky, after which some kind of large scale message could be displayed.

Obviously, if this new concept is a true finding, it's even more apropos, since one could look back at Cepheid data that has been stored to look for other messages.

Sagan's method, though similar, is a bit destructive, whereas this method is conservational.

(*)If you look through his book Cosmos you'll see that he also suggested using pulsed neutrinos to communicate, (Page 214) though he doesn't give details.

There may be other effective methods of communication that have substantial merit: interstellar spacecraft; optical or infrared lasers; pulsed neutrinos; modulated gravity waves; or some other kind of transmission that we will not discover for a thousand years. Advanced civilizations may have graduated far beyond radio for their own communications. But radio is powerful, cheap, fast and simple. They will know that a backward civilization like ours, wishing to receive messages from the skies, is likely to turn first to radio technology. Perhaps they will have to wheel the radio telescopes out of the Museum of Ancient Technology. If we were to receive a radio message we would know that there would be at the very least one thing we could talk about: radio astronomy.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

They will know that a backward civilization like ours, wishing to receive messages from the skies, is likely to turn first to radio technology. Perhaps they will have to wheel the radio telescopes out of the Museum of Ancient Technology. If we were to receive a radio message we would know that there would be at the very least one thing we could talk about: radio astronomy.

But perhaps Mr. ET isn't really that interested in us..?

ET too bored by Earth transmissions to respond

Humans have so far sent four messages into space intended for alien listeners. But they have largely been made up of mathematically coded descriptions of some physics and chemistry, with some basic biology and descriptions of humans thrown in.
Those topics will not prove gripping reading to other civilisations, says Canadian astrophysicist Yvan Dutil. If a civilisation is advanced enough to understand the message, they will already know most of its contents, he says: "After reading it, they will be none the wiser about us humans and our achievements. In some ways, we may have been wasting our telescope time."
In 1999 and 2003, Dutil and fellow researcher Stephane Dumas beamed messages in a language of their own design into space. Now, they are working to compose more interesting messages.
"The question is, what is interesting to an extraterrestrial?" Dutil told New Scientist. "We think the answer is using some common ground to communicate things about humanity that will be new or different to them – like social features of our society."

space.newscientist.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4x4fun
The nearest star to Earth, besides the Sun is called Proxima Centari.
It's 4.2 light years away.
If Aliens were using stars to send signals to us here on Earth, then it would be a very slow means of communication.
Even if they were sending signals to us from our own Sun, it would still take about 8 mins and 20 secs.

Assuming that the ET's are still bound by the 'limits' of relativity, lol. IF they are capable of interstellar travel, I think they found a way around speed of light limitation. Although Torsion fields are still classed as 'sci-fi', as far as I have seen, I doubt many would take this seriously, but it has been shown that they can go as fast as 109x the speed of light, now considering I think the sun is a giant torsion field generator, this seems like a reasonable idea.

Good thread, S+F
EMM

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectroMagnetic Multivers

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Though you state that 'torsion fields' are sci-fi, you go on to say they've been shown to travel faster than light.

Isn't this a contradiction? I don't see any evidence that they've been shown to travel 109x the speed of light.

For those wishing more information here's a wiki entry on Torsion Fields

en.wikipedia.org...

As far as ET using stellar phenomenon to signal their whereabouts, yes, it is constrained by the time it would take for that information to arrive here.

It's just another example of how perfect a system of 'quarantine' we have here. Extreme distance, the hard vacuum of space, isolation during travel, hard radiation, temperatures near absolute zero, finding a needle in a gigantic haystack, the difficulty in becoming space faring, the problem of synchronicity (our civilizations may peak and then die off in different eras). You name it, we're stuck here and they're stuck there, I fear.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 18/9/2008 by Badge01]

top topics

join