It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My father was asked to join....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
reply to post by Spooky Fox Mulder

Right. You have some "divine knowledge" that no one else has about how the world really works.

There are two options here: believe that you somehow know some big great secret that no one else does, or go from my own experience being a mason where its a social taboo to invite people. Occam's razor and all that.

Freemasons rarely invite. Its a social taboo. Best way to join is ask.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by LowLevelMason]

Perhaps I'm already a Mason. Perhaps not.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Spooky Fox Mulder

If I had such great power and knowledge,I wouldn't be here debating about what I know and don't know....

Spike

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky Fox Mulder
Perhaps I'm already a Mason. Perhaps not.

Nope. A mason knows the culture of his own fraternity - some part of its are quite universal in nature - not issuing "invitations." You state the equivocal opposite of something every mason would know.

That would be a perhaps not
It was a good try on being "mysterious" though!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Nope. A mason knows the culture of his own fraternity - some part of its are quite universal in nature - not issuing "invitations."

Actually, that's not universal. In the United States it is traditional that one must ask to become a Mason, and cannot be invited. But in other nations, the opposite is true, and people are invited.

That is changing even here in the USA, where several Grand Lodges have already legalized soliciting. I certainly don't agree with it, but there it is.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

I am referring to the tradition. Some grand lodges, as far as I can tell, never actually said "no invites" - it was just not done as a matter of tradition. But my response was to the statement specifically which said "you cannot join, they will ask you" - which is indisputably incorrect. Anyone can ask to join...and if they meet the requirements, will be admitted.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SailorinAZ

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA You don't really understand what it means to be a Mason.

I know that for a fact.

The point of life is that we're here together, and should be helping each other. This means masons and non-masons alike.

You ever known a child that was treated at a Shriner's Hospital?

Ever known a senior citizen that was given a place to live at a retirement home?

These are services that the Masons offer, free of charge, because what is a man that doesn't make the world a better place?

Ask yourself that and then decide, can I make a difference all on my own, or can I achieve more if I work together with my fellow man? All the while becoming friends and growing as a person.

We are the highest caliber of Men there is on this planet. Selfless and humble. We are the remainder of the knights of the world and as such take our integrity, honor and duty with the utmost seriousness. No sir you are wrong.

If anyone would like to join the masons and has any questions regarding what it takes and if it is worth it they may private message me and I will be happy to explain all that it entails and possibly get you in touch with a member of your local lodge.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Spike, seriously, if you're interested in becoming a Freemason, tell a Freemason of your interest. They're not going to "come searching" for you. The Masonic membership campaign uses as its slogan: "2 B 1 ask 1" -- meaning that you need to express interest to a Mason.

I grew up in a Masonic family - two grandfathers and a father were Freemasons; plus a grandmother in Eastern Star. I myself was a DeMolay Master Councilor; later a state Master Councilor, and eventually recieved the degree of Chevalier, DeMolay's highest honor. I didn't join the Blue Lodge because with career and other interests, I just don't have time. But no one, in all those years, despite that pedigree, has EVER asked me to join. (Sure, there have been jocular "hints" -- like "Gosh, it's too bad you haven't continued in your father's footsteps -- ever consider that?") But I have always known that I needed to make a firm statement of interest to a Mason, and that the membership process would go from there.

I had an amusing conversation this past weekend with an acquaintence who was equally coy about pursuing his obvious interest in the Lodge, but kept thinking, given the supposed "exclusivity" of the Craft, that he'd be invited and courted. IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY, and it's really humorous to watch the curious stand on ceremony as if they were girls (apologies, ladies) waiting to be asked out! Part of the notion is that you are a 'seeker' and that you go a'seeking in order to find answers, perhaps in Freemasonry. I wish you well on your journey and hope it turns out well for you. -- Cheers from an informed DeMolay alumnus.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Me stepson was severely pigeon toed. So much so that he had problem walking. The He was operated on at the Shriners Hospital and it was completely FREE. However, they RUINED him! After he got his cast off (Yes, cast. It covered him from the waist down.) we couldn't keep him still! He was running and playing all over the place! What happened to that quiet littl boy that sat around drawing all the time?!? LOL

Obviously, that was sarcasm. They were AWESOME and shame on you people for knocking something you know nothing about.

LowLevel, you and I both know that there ARE low level Masons. They are the poor souls that have to spend the entire party keeping refreshments full!

It might help if you briefly explain the "levels" of the Lodge and how almost everyone moves up and all that. I know some because my father in law is a long time Mason. I had many misconceptions about them but was able to talk with him about it and learn the other side of the story. Perhaps it would help others as well.

Dunwichwitch, hate much? Are you sure you are a witch? Seems to me a true witch would know what it is like to have misconceptions and lies spread about you and would be a little more cautious about doing the same. Just sayin'.

You spit on 'em huh?

Just, wow.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I have been asked and urged to join by more then half a dozen masons over the years... i think one even tried the jedi mind trick, i was acually kinda flattered by that.

The order itself does not seek out potential members, but when a mason recognizes someone with the right qualities.. especially someone who recognizes them before they recognize you, as is often the case with me, they will suggest it or flat out ask.

Though more often then not i get the confused and befuddled "God man, why havent you joined yet.. you already know so much"

and to those masons here who might be asking the same thing.. i will be petitioning as soon as i have discussed it with my girlfriend... it's been 8ys in the making, but i've finally decided to do it.

And Spike (Bebop rules!!), if your issue with your father is on his side, dont expect an invite. but if the issue is with you.. then expect that he would very much like to see you join once you settle your issues and will likely bring it up if you show any interest.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Secret Master
The order itself does not seek out potential members, but when a mason recognizes someone with the right qualities.. especially someone who recognizes them before they recognize you, as is often the case with me, they will suggest it or flat out ask.

Some masons may decide to invite people, but its has not in my personal experience been the norm. In fact, when I find out someone has been invited, I will find whoever recommended them and ask them to withdraw it and have the candidate ask on their own terms. So far I've never had anyone ignore me and continue with the process, but if they did I would seriously consider black balling the candidate unless the circumstances were extraordinary. Seeking masonic light of your own free will and accord is very important to me, and I would never invite anyone.

I'm sure there are those in my lodge there were invited and just didn't tell anyone, and they may indeed be great masons, but if I have anything to do with it things would be done in accordance with what I believe is set out by the tenets of masonic philosophy as I interpret it.

However, I am happy to read that you will be petitioning
. I do hope that all goes well with that. Don't forget to come back once you go through the blue lodge and then again with the side orders (if you decide to explore other degrees) to give the board yet another person who joined masonry and found nothing evil, even in the non-existent "high degrees."

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Not to pull this thread off it's track, but i plan on joining just about every rite and side order i can.

i'm also of a mind that i would prefer to do it the long way as opposed to the abridged method that is sometimes used in the degree work. I see no point in joining at all if not to make it the 2nd most important thing in my physical reality next to my mate.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Its not altogether true that they wait for you. My father and uncle both turned down the offer. They remember their grandfather wearing a moose head and it was a no go!

My grandfather also made them both the atheists they are today, by sitting them on his lap and talking in logical skeptical ways about God. Now my brother was asked, and he did join, but is non-practicing. Note though, they were all asked. So its done that way too apparently, and not cut in stone.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I think far, far more people claim they've been "invited" than actually have. For some reason I don't understand, it makes them feel validated and powerful that they were "invited" but then turned it down.

I actually ran into someone the other day who claimed he'd been invited as well. After talking to him, he thought getting asked to attend a lodge event open to the community constituted an "invitation"! I suppose if everyone thinks that any time they have interactions with the fraternity that we're really inviting them, we've invited most of the world...

[edit on 8-10-2008 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
My father and uncle and brother were invited, and dad has quite some stories about his grandfather. He thinks the whole thing is ridiculous as he's totally against secret societies, anything connected to religion or occult (which he doesn't believe) though its funny because he grandfather was actually more of an atheist than anything else. His maternal grandmother was a great great grandchild of Sir Walter Scott. He died about 30 years before she was born so there could be one more great involved. And that was the mason side.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
My father and uncle and brother were invited, and dad has quite some stories about his grandfather. He thinks the whole thing is ridiculous as he's totally against secret societies, anything connected to religion or occult (which he doesn't believe) though its funny because he grandfather was actually more of an atheist than anything else. His maternal grandmother was a great great grandchild of Sir Walter Scott. He died about 30 years before she was born so there could be one more great involved. And that was the mason side.

Why would someone be "invited" who:

1) Thinks freemasonry has anything to do with religion or the occult? Masonry is neither religion or the occult (in the sense that its used on ATS - I doubt your referring to the dictionary definition, but if you are then correct me)

2) Is an atheist, when the organization is known as requiring the belief in a supreme being?

I think a lot of people have been invited to "bogus masonry" groups. Anyone can call themselves freemasons, after all. That, or in the case of atheists, might be a lodge under the Grand Lodge of France - which is no longer connected with mainstream masonry and for all I know could be handing out invitations.

I guess when you combine all the bogus masonry, irregular and clandestine lodges that may hand out invites, and the fact that people seem to think being invited to any lodge function means we secretly want them to join...everyone has been invited to be a freemason, even though its not exactly common in regular mainstream lodges.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I see no point in joining at all if not to make it the 2nd most important thing in my physical reality next to my mate.

In the first degree you are charged with putting freemasonry last in life behind: family, friends, God, and work. Just something to think about.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have no idea why they were invited. I just know they were because my father, who is an extremely intelligent decent man, told me they all were, and my brother, who thinks conan the barbarian is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and nwo is the greatest thing, joined.
Edit to add: my father told him over and over how utterly ridiculous the whole thing is.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

In the first degree you are charged with putting freemasonry last in life behind: family, friends, God, and work. Just something to think about.

My family are the scum of the earth, i have nothing to do with them.

My only friend is also becomming a mason, his grand-pappy has been urging him that way for acouple of years now.

I take god with me where ever i go

And my job is meaningless.

So as you can see, all i have in this world to concern myself with is my mate, as long as she is happy and my bills are paid, i have nothing else to put before masonry.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   

My family are the scum of the earth, i have nothing to do with them.

And my job is meaningless.

Perhaps after joining you may approach these aspects of your life in a different manner as Masonry teaches us to recognize the importance of family and employment.

...i have nothing else to put before masonry.

I put my country before Masonry and you too will be asked to do the same.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Whether it has religion or occult at its heart or not, by association it is connected to the psychopaths at the top, therefore I'm free to think whatever I like about that organization and will ensure that not one of my children ever joins.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join