It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WMD report: US remains 'dangerously vulnerable'

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   

WMD report: US remains 'dangerously vulnerable'

hosted.ap.org

The United States remains "dangerously vulnerable" to chemical, biological and nuclear attacks seven years after 9/11, a forthcoming independent study concludes. And a House Democrats' report says the Bush administration has missed one opportunity after another to improve the nation's security.

The recent political rupture between Russia and the U.S. only makes matters worse, said Lee Hamilton, the former Indiana Democratic congressman who helped lead the 9/11 Commission and now chairs the independent group's latest study.

Efforts to reduce access to nuclear technology and bomb-making materials have slowed, thousands of U.S. chemical plants remain unprotected, and the U.S. government continues to oppose strengthening an international treaty to prevent bioterrorism, according to the report produced by the bipartisan Partnership for a Secure America.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
One would think that a 'war on terror' would include protection of your own recources. It seems that Pres Bush's idea consisted of nothing but invading other countries with no apparent end goal except domination.

If he is not unpopular enough already, wait till the US citizens realise he has left them even more vulnerable than ever.

"The threat of a new, major terrorist attack on the United States is still very real," concludes the report to be released Wednesday, the same day a congressional commission will hold a hearing in New York on nuclear and biological terrorism threats.

"A nuclear, chemical or biological weapon in the hands of terrorists remains the single greatest threat to our nation. While progress has been made in securing these weapons and materials, we are still dangerously vulnerable," the report said.

"The Bush administration has not delivered on a myriad of critical homeland and national security mandates," the Democrats' report states. That report was being released Tuesday.

"The administration has just failed to act in so many ways," said Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss. "Let's say that we've been fortunate that we have not been attacked" since 2001, said Thompson, who chairs the House Homeland Security Committee.

A fine example of one track mind. Whats wrong with protecting themselves from within and leave everyone else to thier own problems....?

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I personally love the fact that while on vacation this summer I visited an active chemical plant for a possible job in the area and while the manager took the five people on a tour of the plant I wandered off to see what else they had in the area and proceeded to rejoin the tour 20 minutes later without the manager even noticing I had slipped away on my little adventure.

Just imagine if I had tampered with any of the equipment I walked past or even the extreme of having a bomb of some sort on my person.

Gives you something to ponder...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles
Just imagine if I had tampered with any of the equipment I walked past or even the extreme of having a bomb of some sort on my person.

Gives you something to ponder...

Did they have any form of security on entry? Metal detectors etc? Would they have even known if you had any weaponary at all?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

The security pretty much consisted of afew rent-a-cops at the front gate, and taking my bag from me before the tour.

No body search or metal detectors.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Forgive me, but my feeble CT mind gets a tad nervous when reports like this are put out.

I notice that we are 2 days away from 9/11.

I notice that the government just bailed out Fannie and Freddie. Which is at least in my mind, a bit too close to the missing trillions that Rumsfeld reported before 9/11.

There are a few other parallels, but honestly... it is a little unnerving. I will be happy when this year and the election are over.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Tentickles,
Sounds like they want somebody to do something......very scarey

Karlhungis,
Yes. We are in very interesting times right now....So many people are saying it is just paranoia talking, but there are just too many 'unrelated' events that seem to point to a big event very soon.

I usually scoff at the False Flaggers, but things like this are starting to make me wonder.

In fact, why advertise to the world that there are such glaring vulnerabilities

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

In fact, why advertise to the world that there are such glaring vulnerabilities

The glass is half full answer would be that they hope that highlighting the problems will expedite fixing them. The glass is half empty answer is to preemptively lay blame on someone else for their own actions.

Let's hope it is just more good old fashioned fear mongering and nothing more.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
You gotta be kidding me right?Still vulnerable?
You can even walk/drive 2 miles down the road without someone checking you for something.
Its bordering along the lines of full cavity searches every hour for every person.
I cant see how there is a vulnerability.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Forgive me, but my feeble CT mind gets a tad nervous when reports like this are put out.

I notice that we are 2 days away from 9/11.

I notice that the government just bailed out Fannie and Freddie. Which is at least in my mind, a bit too close to the missing trillions that Rumsfeld reported before 9/11.

There are a few other parallels, but honestly... it is a little unnerving. I will be happy when this year and the election are over.

You couldn't have said it better for myself than you did here my friend.

This is very concerning. What kills me is that these guys are the same ones that led the 'Commission'. The ones that felt that their job was to not investigate ALL of the evidence or even to consider applying guilt to anyone.

It's just extremely convenient how all along they were pumping billions of dollars into national security and playing it up as we were MUCH safer after 911 than before and now all of a sudden we are not. Hmmmmm, where are the people out there that have stated that this country is MUCH safer now? I want to hear from them on this.

And please don't go and state that it is a 'democratic' coup attempt on the election. That's pathetic.

I have stated all along that we are not much safer than before. There have been agencies in our own government that were created to test this 'new' security and that it wasn't ever effective.

However, I have a problem with this 'new terror threat' statement. They are trying to lay the path for more funding and furthering of a corrupt policy. It's war mongering at its best. What a joke.

Please don't buy into this people. If the 'terrorists' were REALLY going to hit us they would have done it many times over since 911. Especially if what these fools are saying is the truth. They wouldn't have waited so long. You see, it's not like a political debate or policy. Something that can evolve over time. A terrorist group doesn't usually have 7 plus years to plan the next 'big' attack. Supposedly, they don't know if they will be alive the next day so their plans wouldn't be this LONG TERM. It's a joke and I fear that so many will once again swallow this BS. Meaning that if another attack (false flag) happens we will be sent into another war (Iran). Because conveniently enough I guarantee you all that it will somehow get tied to Iran.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT

One would think that a 'war on terror' would include protection of your own recources. It seems that Pres Bush's idea consisted of nothing but invading other countries with no apparent end goal except domination.

If he is not unpopular enough already, wait till the US citizens realise he has left them even more vulnerable than ever.

Do you think that maybe, given the likelihood of 9/11 having been "brought to you by Bush, et al," this "vulnerability" is planned so that when the "attack" comes to usher in martial law, they can say "Oops! Well, we better take over now!"

If this is the case, which I think it is, Bush doesn't care one whit about his popularity.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
You can even walk/drive 2 miles down the road without someone checking you for something.
Its bordering along the lines of full cavity searches every hour for every person.

Man, I would hate to live where you do my friend. I would never get to work with my 67 mile one way trip.

Security is NOT so great. A special team put together to test airport security was caught ONCE during their runs. I believe they ran over 45 tests in various airports throughout the country. Even the TSA runs tests where they slip by airport security with fake bombs. CNN actually recorded (with the TSAs approval) an agent that successfully slipped a bomb past security in January.

So, I say it again, I feel for you if you are truly stopped every 2 miles. That must suck. Unless of course it is an exaggeration. ? Maybe? Slightly?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You know, I am starting to think in the terms of all of these reports as being nothing but a way to keep everyone scared and thinking we had better do something about it. We have heard nothing but this crap from day one (9/11). It`s really strange, when it looks like things are calming down, and people may be getting back to living their lives, these "reports" just so happen to jump into the news. Why would they do this? Well, when it looks like the public mind may be going back to the norm, and people have the time to take a closer look at things like this, those in charge get a little scared the public opinion may change about those running the show. Hence, stir up the public with new reports of all the dangers we are still in, and keep them on edge.

I have a big big feeling, that in time, things are going to come out into the open about all of these major events we have been through, and are now going through. You are going to find, things really are not as they look on the outside, or as they want you to believe. Just my 2 bits.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Death always looms ahead. There is no way of protecting any person or country from it. But for the grace of God go I.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
"Courage"

This word means much. But for some reason our media does not evoke this sentiment in the masses, instead it evokes 'fear.'

People keep saying that "It was on 9/11 that our world was changed forever."

I disagree, I contend that

It was on 9/11 that our leaders began to convince us that the world had changed forever.

9/11 is not unique. Terrorism, as we call it, is NEVER absent from the civilization of mankind. The majority of the governments of the world exercise terrorism more frequently, and with more inhumanity, than ANY small group of fundamentalists, or extremists. They just don't acknowledge it to us.

Of course the US remains vulnerable. As does EVERY COMMUNITY ON EARTH. Our borders are open, our government is becoming more oppressive, police are exercising more brutality on an increasing scale. More and more evidence of the corporate friendly - citizen unfriendly paradigm manifest themselves all the time. What does the government expect, LESS dissatisfaction, less dissent?

The proposition that you can protect yourself from terrorism is nonsense. The only way to 'foresee' and 'prepare' for a terrorist attack is to know who the terrorists are. If we are still in danger, obviously they don't know who these people are. Otherwise why wouldn't you just arrest them? It's not like there is a law that will protect them from being seized off the street.

Ultimately, we are told to be afraid because someone they can't identify might have a plan to hurt us. How does that work? The think tanks imagine a scenario and we are told to be afraid, be very afraid? Sounds like a sweet scam to me. I think in other legal frameworks, this could be called racketeering, fraud, intent to defraud, misuse of power, and of course, lets not forget, treason.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe you are spot on Maxmars. Fear can be used as a tool to keep people in order, as has been proven over the years by corrupt governments. A star for your efforts sir.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Realistically, any free and open society will always be vulnerable to this type of attack.

You just can't eliminate the possibility of someone determined to kill.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan

Don't you think it is alot cheaper to have th police or local military to feel up unsuspecting citizens to make them feel violated enough to tell ther friends or even the media about it. That way it appears that something is being done. It is much more cost effective than spending millions on increased security on Chem plants etc when the money is better spent in Iraq or Afghanistan....

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The recent political rupture between Russia and the U.S. only makes matters worse, said Lee Hamilton, the former Indiana Democratic congressman who helped lead the 9/11 Commission and now chairs the independent group's latest study.

first of all LOL

secondly, everyone talks about more security(loss of freedom rights) but notbody talks about blowback.

wake up people

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Here`s our latest dose of fear from our fed goverment, They really are getting ready for another operation IMO.

Homeland Security goes on special alert

www.worldnetdaily.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join