It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHAT Does Gary Mckinnon REALLY know

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
"My cynical side believes that those 'pesky hackers' are treated just like any bug infestation, the odd one or two or even a handful is not much of an issue until the place becomes overrun. It is then that you can call in the exterminators and make a big fuss about the problem, of course it never addresses that the usual problem with an infestation is someone has not been keeping their place tidy. You leave scraps around for rats to find and in a short time you will have many, many more rats sniffing around for the goodies."

With such lax security, the US authorities are lucky that McKinnon only had peaceful intentions in mind, Bevan noted.

"Gary is a self-confessed stoner and perpetrated the 'biggest military hack of all time' whilst completely wasted. This is clearly a sign of how lax the security of these systems was. If Gary had been clear minded and deliberate about what he wanted to achieve and was a malicious person rather than the pacifist he is - where exactly would we be now?"

Fast-track extradition is a one-way street

The US Congress has not ratified the fast-track extradition treaty between the UK and the US. UK prosecutors would need to present a compelling case before a US court before securing an extradition, whereas US authorities, as in the McKinnon case, have far fewer hurdles to clear.

"If it was an American hacker who had breached our computers - would we be fighting for extradition? I doubt it. In fact, we would most likely have to issue a public apology for our lapse in security and the media would be up-in-arms about how weak our defences are."

He added that the human factor is often ignored in the debate over McKinnon's fate, which is split between the 'burn him' camp and the 'deal with him here or let him go' lobby.

"People seem to forget that Gary is not just a meme or a 'hacker' - he is a real person. This guy has been waiting for six and a half years already. Now the chances are that if it had been dealt with over here he would have long served his time and be free to carry on his life.

"Due to political wranglings, all we are going to see is more time lumped on top of what has already been spent waiting in the wings and as many expect that time could be way in excess of the sentences for murder here."

According to papers submitted to his failed House of Lords appeal, McKinnon was offered a plea bargaining deal featuring a sentence of between three and four years in jail, if he cooperated with the US authorities and dropped his opposition to extradition against eight to ten years behind bars in a high-security prison after a US trial. Lawyers acting for McKinnon said that this deal might not be binding, and expressed concerns that McKinnon might be prosecuted by a US military rather than civilian court.

McKinnon (AKA Solo) has always admitted that he broke into US government computer systems but denies causing any damage. Bevan said McKinnon has not had enough credit in admitting responsibility for his misdeeds.

"Under UK law we are supposed to be more lenient on criminals who admit their crimes and accept the consequences. In this case, the effect appears to be the opposite - plead guilty then wait for the consequences. In the meantime have your charges upgraded as new laws are introduced and applied retrospectively."

Supporters of McKinnon argue that the prosecution may yet blow up in their faces by placing the security shortcomings of US government systems under the microscope, especially if the case goes to trial. Sysadmins may be faced with awkward questions about why their systems were so easy to infiltrate. Even if such questions fail to arise at trial, they might spark unwelcome Congressional scrutiny.
Stars and prison stripes

Bevan said McKinnon can expect to be treated harshly by a US court, especially if (as expected) he is tried in Virginia.

"Virginia is not exactly the most friendly state to foreigners and somehow I do not think that someone who 'attacked the United States

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kirky
"Gary is a self-confessed stoner and perpetrated the 'biggest military hack of all time' whilst completely wasted.

Well if a computer at NASA JSC is the 'biggest military hack of all time' , then our government has nothing to worry about

Because all the good stuff is on SIPRNET, JWICS and the Global

Time for me to split...

TTFN

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hi. It appears you've missed a key point. GM realised that in order to gain access to secret NASA data he could try hacking the military systems, on the assumption that the computers on those networks would be networked to NASA. And his hunch proved true. And there were already droves of people doing the same...

If this guy had been after weapons-related technology as opposed to UFO-related data he could potentially have compromised the US military big style. Hence "the biggest military hack" angle. But in reality he was just one of many.

What did the real pros gain access to? Now there's a story.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
well its fairly obvious that some people are going to have to have another go and try and recover the information that was apparently there.

Granted it will be a lot harder to find if it is still there at all, but in all honesty if people really wanted to have a go at finding this information it couldn't be too hard to do with a few skilled people.....

If I had the time, patience and mathematical skill to learn complex hacking I would do it for sure.... In the end isn't the truth worth possibly getting in trouble for....

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Those nets are just for transferring data, there are probably many computers out there that are connected to both the civilian internet and the classified ones, the computers that GM hacked may have been such a computer that was used to access both nets.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just heard about this guy. What he found sounds a lot like Stargate! That is some pretty amazing stuff!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
Just heard about this guy. What he found sounds a lot like Stargate! That is some pretty amazing stuff!

Hi Marcus
Disclose just released new radio interview as of end of Oct 08. He's still here in the UK and still talking, you can listen for real heres link

www.disclose.tv...

Basically a recap plus a few more bits an pieces. The Glastonbury Radio Presenter interviewing Gary is a directer of a OFCOM in America and is currently himself experiencing problems getting back into the USA due to his support of Mckinnon and the case, as usual stinks of cover up

Peace
Kirky

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
ignore

[edit on 19-11-2008 by kirky]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
After readin his full story and what he had said in the interviews.

It seems an awful lot of trouble for a Hacker, (he IS a hacker, he used a Perl script to find Passwords, that had not been set yet) Who has no hard data, or is even sure of what he saw..

This is extremly obvious, that the USA,'s Govermental orginisation NASA is a Front, for much far more sinister operations, and that they hold national security secrets, whether it be Aliens, or Are conducting Psy-ops, Spying, or launchin weapons in space AKA; Starwars

Whatever the reason, The Officials, decided it was far too serious, and had no choice but to make an example of the Man.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
hot off the press:

'COMPUTER hacker Gary McKinnon has lost his latest battle to stop being extradited to the US for trial.

An application for a judicial review of Home Secretary Jacqui Smith's decision not to intervene and have him tried in the UK instead was recently refused.

But Karen Todner, solicitor for the 42-year-old former Highgate Wood school pupil, says she intends to apply for an oral judicial review - the previous would have been a review of the decision on paper - which would be heard before Christmas.

US authorities want to prosecute McKinnon, diagnosed in August with Asperger's Syndrome, for hacking into 97 US military computers from his girlfriend's flat in Hillfield Avenue, Hornsey, crashing another network of 2,000 military computers for 24 hours, and leaving a further 300 unusable at a US Navy weapons station.'

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
also 4 hours ago:

'The Prime Minister has been urged to intervene in proceedings to extradite an alleged north London computer hacker to the US.

Gary McKinnon, from Wood Green, may face 70 years in jail if he is found to have hacked and damaged 97 computers.

Tory Enfield Southgate MP David Burrowes asked Gordon Brown to make sure he serves any sentence in the UK and called for changes to the law. '

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
A Song by GARY Mckinnons Mum

And Gary Himself He is really good!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by monkeybus]

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Gary]

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Angryman]

[edit on 19-11-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kirky

We really don't know what Mr McKinnon hacked. He did get into military files and could of gotten into personal records. As a veteran, along with both my parents and brother, he could have gotten a hold of our SSN, and other vital data to sell to other people. Of course he will deny this, but that is what people do, deny any wrongdoing as they do not want to go to jail. We are only hearing one side of this argument, from a poor sap who only wanted information on UFOs.
I do know there is a huge black market for personal information. And it would be very profitable to get a hold of thousands of SSN to sell.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Do you make a habit of making totally unsubstantiated claims?

This guy has been investigated up to the hilt. They've squeezed everything they can (& much they shouldn't) into the indictment already. (If you read a few threads on the guy on ATS you'll come across the actual document.) There is not so much of a hint of the insinuations/accusations you wish to make...

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Again, we just get his side of the story. I was in the military and do not want someone hacking into the system possibly looking for my personal information. I did not say he did do it, but there is a possibility of that as his intent. I also believe he has a right to a fair trial, and hope he does get one.

None of us here knows what was in his mind, even if he states it. People never admit to wrongdoing, especially if they have not been tried. Most lawyers tell their clients to shut up for good reason.

This also is my opinion, and it is your opinion that you are also stating.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

2883]post by pause4thought[/url]

Again, we juOriginally posted by kidflash2008
[i
This also is my opinion, and it is your opinion that you are also stating.

In the immortal words of George Carlin
"Opinions are like ***holes, everybody got one"

peace people
Kirky

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I keep reading this word, "Hacked", which implies he falsely used hardware to find and then use passwords to gain entry into NASA computers. As far as I'm aware he didn't hack anything! If I'm wrong let me apologise now, but I thought he simply walked into the computers because it didn't have a password or the security programmes hadn't been implemented at NASA. . . I heard someone say that what McKinnon did was the equivelent of the cleaner walking by and accessing the computers data! It all seems to come down to lack of security.

As for the British government refusing to step in and help one of it's nationals! Seriously, is anyone out there surprised? If America told our government to stick it's hand in the fire it would do so without question. We are little more than the USAs lapdog and it's about time we bit back and # in our so-called masters slippers!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Don't worry about the US being your 'puppet master' the poor old USA isn't what it used to be. It is in 2008 nothing more than a victim of world opinion and political correctness. If the US was as you described, and indeed restored to her glory days, your city would be a glowing heap of radiation just for looking at us the wrong way. But alas, Rome has fallen and has crumbled from within.

--One of the last of my kind

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.We are little more than the USAs lapdog and it's about time we bit back and # in our so-called masters slippers!!!

Well Master has a cure for puppies that get nasty...

We just send a couple of these in the night... never know what hit you

Now be a good little puppy and curl up by the fire and behave...

Now about Gary... its been 7 years... Where is he now? Is he in a US jail? Is he at Gitmo, that lovely vacation villa?

AMERIKA ÜBER ALLES

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.We are little more than the USAs lapdog and it's about time we bit back and # in our so-called masters slippers!!!

Well Master has a cure for puppies that get nasty...

We just send a couple of these in the night... never know what hit you

Now be a good little puppy and curl up by the fire and behave...

Now about Gary... its been 7 years... Where is he now? Is he in a US jail? Is he at Gitmo, that lovely vacation villa?

AMERIKA ÜBER ALLES

This puppy aint good or little and if provocked will bit your bloody hand off! As for McKinnon? I can see this going on and on for years eventually ending up at the court of human rights. Human rights. . . not something America understands is it?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join