It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All this useless drivel about palin; Where's the dirt on Joe Biden?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
So an old guy picks a young woman as a running mate and the internet goes wild picking her apart every way possible.

Ok, we get it.

Is joe biden a saint? Why aren't people digging up his past?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hes a has been...their no fun!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You're welcome to do your own research to find stuff on Joe Biden. Believe it or not, that's how a lot of the best information gets uncovered. I can tell you i've been a Biden supporter since before he declared his candidacy. I think he's great. I really look forward to his debate with Sarah Palin because I think his objective will be based on the issues and all i've heard her do is talk about Obama. She won't be able to do that in the debates when she's being asked direct questions about HER stance. Biden will do just fine.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
I can tell you i've been a Biden supporter since before he declared his candidacy. I think he's great.

Can you list Biden's top 3 accomplishments in his approximately 30 years in the Senate?

Also, if he is so great, can you help us understand why he campaigned all year in Iowa and then only got less than 1% of the vote there?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
They're all dirty, hysterical, compromised to the max and no friend of America

Make Putin an offer. Let him name his own terms if he'll agree to put the US back on track

Gee, make Iceland's leader an offer

Vote for Mel Gibson !

Anyone would be better than the choice being presented to Americans now or in the past several decades

You're being asked to vote for sleeze who can't wait to further destroy the US.

Or .. why pretend any longer ? Just direct your vote to Israel and be done with it

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I'd say Biden at least would not help turn America into a theocracy... Palin on the other hand...

"Pray for our military men and women who are striving do to what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for -- that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

Her campaign says she doesn't mix her faith with government business. But Palin did ask her audience to pray for $30 billion natural gas pipeline she is on a mission to build in Alaska. In the video Palin says, "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas pipeline built. So pray for that ... I can do my job there in developing my natural resources. But all of that doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart is not good with God."

edition.cnn.com...

So "God's will" is exactly that of her side of politics. Well, in the very least, I suppose that is perhaps very convenient.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Someone who has been a senator for over 30 years, alone, is an accomplishment. to win your elections at an average of 60% is pretty darn good. Esp when Palin supporters boost hre 80% approval rating on 2 years.

A little about what he has done...

With a net worth between $59,000 and $366,000, he is considered one of the least wealthy members of the Senate.[1][27] Biden sits on the board of advisors of the Close Up Foundation[28] and has been co-chair of the NATO Observer Group in the Senate.[29]

110th Congress

Biden serves on the following committees in the 110th U.S. Congress:[30]

* Committee on Foreign Relations (chairman)
o As chairman of the full committee Biden is an ex officio member of each subcommittee.
* Committee on the Judiciary
o Subcommittee on Antitrust Competition Policy and Consumer Rights
o Subcommittee on Crime and Drugs (chairman)
o Subcommittee on Human Rights and the Law
o Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Refugees
o Subcommittee on Technology Terrorism and Homeland Security
* Caucus on International Narcotics Control (co-chairman)

Judiciary Committee

Biden is a long-time member of the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary, which he chaired from 1987 until 1995 and on which he served as ranking minority member from 1981 until 1987 and again from 1995 until 1997. In this capacity, he dealt with issues related to drug policy, crime prevention, and civil liberties. While chairman, Biden presided over two notably contentious Supreme Court confirmation hearings: Robert Bork in 1987 and Clarence Thomas in 1991.[31]

Biden has been involved in crafting many federal crime laws over the last decade, including the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, also known as the Biden Crime Law, and the landmark Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA), which contains a broad array of measures to combat domestic violence and provides billions of dollars in federal funds to address gender-based crimes. In 2000, the Supreme Court ruled that the section of VAWA allowing a federal civil remedy for victims of gender-motivated violence exceeded Congress' authority and therefore was unconstitutional.[32] Congress reauthorized VAWA in 2000 and 2005.[33] In March 2004, Biden enlisted major American technology companies in diagnosing the problems of the Austin, Texas-based National Domestic Violence Hotline, and to donate equipment and expertise to it.[34][31]

As chairman of the International Narcotics Control Caucus, Biden wrote the laws that created the U.S. "Drug Czar", who oversees and coordinates national drug control policy. In April 2003 he introduced the controversial Reducing Americans' Vulnerability to Ecstasy Act, also known as the RAVE Act. He continues to work to stop the spread of "date rape drugs" such as Rohypnol, and drugs such as Ecstasy and Ketamine. In 2004 he worked to pass a bill outlawing steroids like androstenedione, the drug used by many baseball players.[31]

Biden's legislation to promote college aid and loan programs allows families to deduct on their annual income tax returns up to $10,000 per year in higher education expenses. His "Kids 2000" legislation established a public/private partnership to provide computer centers, teachers, Internet access, and technical training to young people, particularly to low-income and at-risk youth.[35]

Foreign Relations Committee

Biden is also a long-time member and current chairman of the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations. In 1997, he became the ranking minority member and chaired the committee from June 2001 through 2003. When Democrats re-took control of the Senate following the 2006 elections, Biden again assumed the top spot on the committee in 2007. His efforts to combat hostilities in the Balkans in the 1990s brought national attention and influenced presidential policy: traveling repeatedly to the region, he made one meeting famous by calling Serbian leader Slobodan Milosevic a "war criminal." He consistently argued for lifting the arms embargo, training Bosnian Muslims, investigating war crimes and administering NATO air strikes. Biden's subsequent "lift and strike" resolution was instrumental in convincing President Bill Clinton to use military force in the face of systematic human rights violations.[36] Biden has also called on Libya to release political prisoner Fathi Eljahmi.[37]
Biden gives his opening statement and questions to U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker and General David H. Petraeus at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Hearing on Iraq; September 11, 2007
Biden gives his opening statement and questions to U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan Crocker and General David H. Petraeus at the Senate Foreign Relations Committee Hearing on Iraq; September 11, 2007

Biden stated in 2002 that Saddam Hussein was a threat to national security, and that there was no option but to eliminate that threat.[38] The Bush administration rejected an effort Biden undertook with Senator Richard Lugar to pass a resolution authorizing military action only after the exhaustion of diplomatic efforts. In October 2002, Biden voted in favor of the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq, justifying the Iraq War. He has long supported the appropriations to pay for the occupation, but has argued repeatedly that the war should be internationalized, that more soldiers are needed, and that the Bush administration should "level with the American people" about the cost and length of the conflict.[39]

Biden is a leading advocate for dividing Iraq into a loose federation of three ethnic states.[40] In November 2006, Biden and Leslie Gelb, President Emeritus of the Council on Foreign Relations, released a comprehensive strategy to end sectarian violence in Iraq.[41] Rather than continuing the present approach or withdrawing, the plan calls for "a third way": federalizing Iraq and giving Kurds, Shiites, and Sunnis "breathing room" in their own regions.[42] Iraq’s political leadership united in denouncing the resolution, and the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad issued a statement distancing itself.[41] Senior military planners cautioned that a partition policy would require American military presence of 75,000 to 100,000 troops for years to come.[40]

Joe Biden

[edit on 8-9-2008 by bknapple32]

[edit on 8-9-2008 by bknapple32]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

If Palin's history and record are merely "useless drivel", wouldn't Biden's be equally as "useless" to you?

Why make a plea for what you see as more "useless drivel"?

Edit: Nicely posted, bknapple32.

[edit on 9/8/08 by redmage]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
Someone who has been a senator for over 30 years, alone, is an accomplishment.

Yeah, that's an accomplishment for himself. What's he done for America?

And cutting and pasting an entire Wikipedia entry really doesn't help communicate his accomplishments, which seem to consist primarily of sitting on Senate panels.

In your own words, what are his top three accomplishments FOR US. or for the people of Delaware?

I read through the entire wiki entry and didn't see much, except he authored a law that got shot down by the Supreme Court, and he voted to authorize the war in Iraq, which he later claimed was the result of being fooled by Bush.

Just what has he accomplished?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Maybe something maybe nothing.....

Biden has deep ties to Rezko accomplice

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Top three? I'll give you four.

1. RAVE act
2. Chair of the Foreign Relations committee
3. Violence Against Women Act of 1994 (VAWA) (Reauthorized in 2005)
4. Biden received a 91% voting record from the National Education Association (NEA) showing a pro-teacher union voting record... Anything for education is fantastic.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

reply to post by jamie83

2. Chair of the Foreign Relations committee
4. Biden received a 91% voting record from the National Education Association (NEA) showing a pro-teacher union voting record... Anything for education is fantastic.

You gave two. Chairmen of a committee is a position, not an accomplishment, unless you are talking about advancing his own career. I mean things he's accomplished that have made a difference in the life of an Average American.

And voting for the NEA union does not mean he's pro education. It means he's pro teacher's union.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Pro teachers union is pro education. It is the teachers that deserve rights when they are the ones educating our young ones and future.

Chair on the foreign relations committee is an accomplishment. It means others saw him fit for the job. Anyone, republican or democrat would consider that an accomplishment.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

What about the student's rights? The teachers exist and get paid well to educate our children, not to further their own interest, and those of Biden via the teachers union!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I took this information directly from biden.senate.gov..., so take it for what it's worth. I'm sure you'll find a problem with these accomplishments as well, i'm sure they won't be good enough for you in many respects because it seems like you've been moving the goal post around.

Second Chance Act: The Second Chance Act, signed into law on April 9, 2008, will assist federal, state and local governments in providing inmates with the tools they need to successfully reintegrate into the community upon their release.

Plan for Iraq: Senator Biden’s plan for Iraq is the only approved bi-partisan proposal to responsibly end the War in Iraq, passing both houses of Congress overwhelmingly.

COPS Bill: Senator Biden recently unveiled the 2007 Biden Crime Bill [above],building upon the revolutionary approach of the successful 1994 Biden Crime Bill while promoting new, innovative programs to focus on today's problems.

College ACCESS Act: Biden Introduces College ACCESS Act to Cover Average Cost of Two-Year Public College and Half of Average Cost of Public Four-Year College for Most Families.

I can't tell you why Joe Biden got 1% of the votes in Iowa, but it might have something to do with the fact that he was up against a woman, a black man, and the VP candidate in 2004. Together those three sucked up quite a bit.

Just because Biden got 1% in Iowa doesn't mean he's a terrible person, you know.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Pro teachers union is pro education. It is the teachers that deserve rights when they are the ones educating our young ones and future.

Teachers deserve rights? Did I miss something, or aren't we all entitled to the same rights per the U.S. Constitution? I am totally at a loss as to how you can characterize what a teacher's union WANTS as some sort of entitlement.

And no, it is the students you deserve an education.

Chair on the foreign relations committee is an accomplishment. It means others saw him fit for the job. Anyone, republican or democrat would consider that an accomplishment.

Yes, we agree. Chairman of a Senate committee is a PERSONAL accomplishment. It looks nice on a resume. But it is not an accomplishment in terms of service to the public that hired him.

I.e., somebody could be elected the student body president, and do nothing all school year to help the students in his class. Putting student body president on a college application might even look nice. But it doesn't mean that person accomplished anything for the people who elected him.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

I see your point on the foreign relations committee.

But as for the teachers. Well teachers do have rights. It has nothing to do with rights as a US citizen. It has to do with wage rights. Its like any other reunion. Our teachers need to be protected. If you dont think so, then I assume you are ok with the status quo of the education system.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I can't believe this post went this far without anyone mentioning Biden's plagery problem.

www.americanthinker.com...

Political insiders have long known about Joe Biden getting caught plagiarizing almost word-for-word a speech given by British Labour politician Neil Kinnock. In fact, that killed his 1988 presidential campaign.

But a more serious plagiarism charge has been out there even longer - that he plagiarized in law school. That is something that can get you thrown out if proven.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32Well teachers do have rights. It has nothing to do with rights as a US citizen. It has to do with wage rights. Its like any other reunion. Our teachers need to be protected. If you dont think so, then I assume you are ok with the status quo of the education system.

Wage rights?

I have 3 kids, all now in private schools with non-union teachers. My girlfriend took her daughter out of the public school and she is now in cyber school. I can tell you as a parent with first hand experience the problem in education IS the union and the teachers who are not held accountable, and who cannot be fired no matter how bad they are.

Want an example of the overall pathetic environment they've created? They have banners hanging in the front office signifying their "Awards for Adequacy."

The teachers at the private school get paid less than those at the public school, but they are 10x better teachers. Why do you think that is?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join