It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

deep freaze test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
found this on the bbc
south Korea testing their jet

why would they need to test this to the extreme like that?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Because it gets really cold way up there sometimes?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, if it's on an aircraft carrier in a cold weather then ocean spray can freeze-up pretty thick on things.

BTW: Why does it look so much like an F-4 phantom?

F-4 Phantom Front View

[edit on 9/8/2008 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

found some more info on it

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Beneath its frozen shroud is the sleek shape of an old Phantom war jet.

The F-4E Phantom fighter stands in the climatic chamber of a £30million aerospace test centre in Seosan, South Korea.

Largely secret, the facility's doors were thrown open so South Korea could show off its advanced technology.

also it is an F-4

[edit on 8-9-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

About 40 years behind in tech aren't they?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No, that can't be it, Enlighten Up, there's gotta be a more unexplainable reason. I'm gonna say they are prepping for the HAARP takeover and NWO . If Hell really does freeze over, i want to make sure my frequent flier miles are still valid, i don't have a credit card for the wallet space that's for sure.

sorry for sounding like just another ass if i did

does it really get that cold though? I know about a squat and a half when it comes to airplanes and the conditions they fly under so whatever the answer this would be a learning experience

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

I know if you watch "Deadliest Catch" you can see the icing troubles on their crabbing vessels which I induce extends to airplanes on board carrier decks in similar weather.

Flying at high altitude can reach very low temps but with that much ice buildup you won't be flying any longer.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Winter in the korea's isnt exactly like winter in florida.

It gets damm cold in korea.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

why would they need to test this to the extreme like that?

If the aircraft can operate with minimal maintenance after that test, then it can withstand much less harsh conditions.

Thats why they take it to extremes.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I don't understand really why they claim the testing to be top secret etc as most planes are subjected to this testing, including the 22. Anyways it a big part of testing a planes climatic strength and the ability to not be destroyed by or withstand the elements. So as Richard said if it can stand up to that it can stand up to less.

The aircraft is subjected to all manner of weather extremes in a battery of separate tests. The individual trials range from cold soaking the aircraft at minus sixty-five-degree cold before “warming” it to minus forty degrees; to a buildup of eight inches of snow, which at about twenty pounds of weight per square foot over the approximately 1,000 square feet of surface area on the Raptor results in a load of 20,000 pounds on the top of the aircraft; to a wind-blown snow at approximately forty-four feet per second. And that’s just the cold stuff.

new topics

top topics

join