It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 US troops commit suicide in Iraq

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
FAKE STORY
propaganda
this is rubbish only intent on makeing terroist think they are winning
this silly war

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
To explore this a little further... This was from the OP article:

according to Iraqi sources the servicemen belonged to the 57th Unit of the US Airborne Division that was behind the massacre of several Iraqi families-- mostly women and children-- in northern Baghdad

Has any Airborne unit recently attacked and killed some (massacre) civilians in Baghdad?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppskylight
You haven't heard any of this on mainstream news channels because its blatant anti-American propaganda coming out of an Iranian government run news agency. This is about as legitimate of a news source as that Weekly World News magazine with batboy. Don't post enemy propaganda here, you'll make a lot of enemies here quickly that way.

Enemy propaganda? Enemy? I am sorry, are you nuts? This men quoted the Iranian News Agency - propaganda or not, he has a right to do it - YOU will be the one making enemy's here on ATS, if you don't quit you ignorant thinking (!)

/-

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkAkaSilent

Originally posted by craic.n.up

Originally posted by MarkAkaSilent
reply to post by ppskylight

Im sorry you think of me as anti American but im not, America has had a big part in uniting Ireland under one flag.

sorry to disagree but ireland is not "united under one flag" Northern Ireland is still part of the uk and not eire.
Sorry! Slip of the typing hand. Didn't realized the mistake until you pointed it out. It should of read "in helping to unite Ireland under one flag.

sorry to be off topic mark maybe one day it will happen a united ireland if that is what the people want but at this moment we are not so stop posting false propaganda a lot of people on ats do not know the situation and history of the two countries ulster and eire and no i am not anti united ireland but lets not confuse people not from these isles .

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
1) Propaganda
2) Actual Truth - Bio/Psychological weapon Testing
3) Actual Truth - Mass Suicide

I go for either 1 or 2

[edit]
Well 1 actually as several people have debunked this already, good investigation guys.

[edit on 9/9/2008 by spitefulgod]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The following is analysis and not an endorsement of any Iranian News Source. Use your brain and read, and then read again before flaming me. You can also skip this post.

Some people just want to knee jerk put the blinders on and yell at anyone who replies to this thread after the masters have debunked it because:
1) no such US military unit involved - could their media be sloppy like ours?
2) Both sources for this story are Iranian - defineatly suspicious!
3) It would be horrible news - denial

This story has me interested in what other stories the sources are pushing and what other people in the world are hearing about US Troops in the Iraq region. Deny ignorance - DIG deeper.

Here is one of the news sources homepage:
Alalam News homepage

I wonder how many stories there are completely made up, partially true and true.

Al-Qaeda Accuses Iran of US Co-op
DUBAI, Sept 9--Al-Qaeda number two Ayman al-Zawahiri has accused Iran of collaborating with Washington in Afghanistan and Iraq.

UAE to Buy US THAAD Missile Shield
WASHINGTON, Sept 9--The Bush administration is planning to sell the United Arab Emirates an advanced US missile shield system valued at up to $7 billion, the Pentagon says

'Sleeping Buddha' Found in Afghanistan
KABUL, Sept 8--An Afghan archaeologist has discovered the remains of an ancient 19-metre-long (62-foot) "sleeping Buddha" in central Afghanistan's Bamiyan a government official said Monday

US Troops Commit Mass Suicide in Iraq

Note: the above story does not contain information about any specific military units. alalam report on supposed mass suicide in Iraq

and one last story:

Odierno to Replace Petraeus in Iraq
BAGHDAD, Sept 7--US General David Petraeus will hand over command of US forces in Iraq to Lieutenant-General Raymond Odierno on Sept 16, a military spokesman said on Sunday.

I bring all this up because I am interested in uncovering propaganda and the techniques used. Why WOULD any organization purporting to be a news source post a false story thereby ruining any credibility they hope to have? Are they just stupid? Maybe. The other Iranian source couldn't get an active military units name.

Maybe they are used to an unquestioning audience. Think about that for awhile.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

I'd rather think of all the time and effort you just wasted on Iranian propaganda in an effort to get others to do the same.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
reply to post by stikkinikki

I'd rather think of all the time and effort you just wasted on Iranian propaganda in an effort to get others to do the same.

I was not making an effort to get others to waste their time on Iranian propaganda. I was making an effort to analyze Iranian propaganda for what it is. Maybe by questioning the source one can also question why when you search GOOGLE for "mass Suicide" or "troops suicide" the Iranian sites show up as NEWS. Why would Google do that? Low standards for news verification?

PLEASE save the scolding for someone who cares to march in lockstep with you.

[edit on 9/9/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppskylight

You are really going to believe an English language Iranian News agency? The only thing that smells rotten here is the source. The story is blatant propaganda, and if you're going to buy that I'm willing to bet you're one of these types that talks about "chem trails". Can I shovel some more [SNIP] onto your plate, you seem to be finished digesting all the BS the OP has provided. You probably buy into the 9/11 conspiracy stuff too, don't you? Blatant anti-Americanism.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review This Link

Mod Note: Stay On Topic – Please Review This Link

How Not To Be Banned From ATS...

[edit on 9/8/2008 by Gools]

You OBVIOUSLY buy into the 911 conspiracy! It's very obvious that you believe the 'official' story as the real deal and no holes, gaps or answers left open. Yup, nothing happened there. You see, it's the same BS tactic used by many 'debunkers' (I don't say skeptics because they genuinely try to argue a point before resorting to name calling). If someone believes that 911 has some SERIOUS questions then they will buy everything else and are all grouped together as a bunch of.... (insert stupid word here).

You see, I don't buy this story one bit. The idea that so many would commit suicide in one place is cultish or what (as we are taught) some fanatical Muslim groups would do. Thus lending credence to the fact that this is pure foolish propoganda. Yet, when someone buys this you have to attack every person that believes our government may not completely be on our side.

The problem with you is that you haven't done your research my friend. Certain parts of our government HAVE done tests on its own people without their knowledge resulting in many deaths and corrupted lives. It has happened for many decades! Yet you believe that they are 100% good and would never do anything to hurt 'their own people'. The fact of the matter is, that most of the those in the higher positions in government don't really think of us 'average Americans' as part of 'their' people. So when drugs are added to drinking water or nuclear bombs are set off on Native American reservations and on and on and on, we have to simply sit back and take it because it is our government doing tests for the betterment of the country as a whole right? Yup, I buy that.

So before you try to categorically group everyone together who ever attacks this government with accusations of corruption and conspiracy you should seriously look at the history of this fine government and how it has treated 'ITs' people.

Back on topic, as I stated before, this is pure rubbish.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Whatever the agenda is of the terrorists...it seems to be having some effect in making their enemy fight within.

How about focusing on unity rather than in-fighting over terrorist instigated BS?

Dont any of you see that is exactly what they want. Why should they even attack us or use weapons. A little bit of BS on a website does the job for them just fine. Stirr up a hornets nest within your enemy's camp and you can sit back and watch them destroy themselves.

Pfft!!!

Cheers!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Guys, remember the Iraqi propaganda minister put out the same kind of stories during the invasion? Its pretty obviously propaganda.

www.cnn.com...

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- In an apparent show of defiance, Iraq's Information Minister Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf stood in the streets of Baghdad Monday morning amid a U.S. raid on the capital, issuing denials of coalition advances.

Sahaf said American troops were beginning to "commit suicide on the walls of Baghdad.

"The soldiers of Saddam Hussein have given them a lesson they will never forget," he said.

"We will in fact encourage them to commit more suicides. We have given them death and poison.

[edit on 9-9-2008 by Dronetek]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dronetek
Guys, remember the Iraqi propaganda minister put out the same kind of stories during the invasion? Its pretty obviously propaganda.

We know this already but the propaganda came from IRAN, not Iraq. A lot of people just want to ignore the story but why not question Google and why they post this as news? They could be biased in many ways but why would Google, a huge company that has to maintain their news integrity, post this in the news section?

I think that's a good question.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
Did you look at the dates at least 4 years old.

Did I say it was otherwise? There was proof that this is an occurring event and Pentagon reports say that the number is growing every year. Whether or not the OP's linked article is true doesn't change the fact that it's happening and people are just pushing it under the rug.

To anyone who thinks soldiers wont do such a thing, think again.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkAkaSilent

Was this individual suicide or fratricide? If this was two incidents of mass suicide one would definitely wonder why the mainstream press hasn't got a hold of the story. Mind control gone awry?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
What I'm posting here are informations to determine how much of a propaganda this thread is.

Let's see how much of propaganda this is:
www.denverpost.com...

For the person who said that the soldiers may have been doing bad things, as ordered, he/she might be onto something:
educate-yourself.org...

It seems to me that some type of suicidal spread among american soldier must be going on:
www.army.mil...

More propaganda?: aftermathnews.wordpress.com...
Here some more: www.cnn.com...
news.yahoo.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.abc.net.au...
www.nytimes.com...

I think this would suffice to put an end as to if this is propaganda or not.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Without doubt this is the biggest load of horse manure that I've read here on ATS! If the American soldiers wanted to commit suicide they need only go outside and stick their heads above the sandbags. If you've got a deathwish and you're determined to die why not go out in a blaze of glory fighting the enemy?
I think some of you who post here are forgeting something important. I, like most of you, don't trust the American government but these soldiers are just ordinary men who probably don't want to be there. The very idea that these brave men would take their own lives, in such numbers, is an insult. . .

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Very interesting article indeed.
The question is: what the hell happened to make them do this?
Sure, war is horrible and extremely f****d up but most soldiers to commit suicide.
Something truely screwed up must have happened to these poor men.
God, just get them out of there Bush!
What the hell is wrong with you?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
The very idea that these brave men would take their own lives, in such numbers, is an insult. . .

I think the insult is how many are ignoring that this is an occuring event, and do nothing about it. From one of the articles I linked to a page back, the suicide rate was at 17 in 2003, and it has been growing since.

At least 17 U.S. troops have committed suicide in Iraq; Army seeks answers

[edit on 9-9-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

You may be correct that this is some sort of propaganda. For one thing I'm a vet and have never heard of the 57th Airborne(what?) I followed the link to the source and that's what was printed as the unit. Also if there were mass suicides 16 and 24 soldiers we would have certainly heard of it by now not just by the press either. I believe the news source is suspect thanks Ben420

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Two things here people:

1) Almost all of our soldiers in the middle east are being given all manner of psycotropic drugs. This is really sad because they help their brains believe that "everythig is ok" when in reality they are in a horrible situation. It is unnatural. One of the main side effects of almost all of these drugs is increased risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts.

2) There is an article today in CNN headlines about a "Secret Killing Program" in Iraq. If this really does exist them maybe there are soldiers overrun with guilt or insubordinate.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join