It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin's Church Promotes Gay Conversion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Sept. 8) - Gov. Sarah Palin's church is promoting a conference that promises to convert gays into heterosexuals through the power of prayer.

Link to full story:

news.aol.com...

Is this what we really want in this country? I guess for some the answer would be yes. For me it would be NO!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

It's not like it's horrible or anything like that. It's certainly far better than murders and executions like Hitler did.
I don't even see why this should be an issue. Freedom of Religion as I recall?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
No amount of prayer is going to change someone's sexuality

The very fact she supports this just highlights her ignorance on the subject and is another reason why she is a poor choice

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
They can pray untill there faces turn red for all I care. Just know that no one is going to go from gay to straight, they are still gay, just supressing their gay thoughts and not acting on it, which is stupid, their should be nothing wrong with love..

People should be who they are, not who everyone else wants them to be.

[edit on 9/8/2008 by Uniceft17]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

There isn't anything wrong with love, just some ignorant folk seem to think there is something wrong, but it doesn't make them right because they think it

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If I was God I would be cringing at having people like this represent me.
However, luckily for me I don't believe in God so I see religion as a form of power control, and this discussion point strengthens my resolve against religion and god(s).

I fear we are seeing the 'conservatisation' of society, brought about through manipulation by the Mass Media and the Education systems and the compliance and therefore tacit approval of the sheeple.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Well, I think I will just run right up to Alaska and enroll.

Give me a break. When I was in my twenties, I became a born again Christian, went against my nature and got married. I had faith that God would change me. He didn't.

What I didn't realize then, that I do now, is that I didn't need to be changed. I am perfect just the way I am.

Oh and I love your signature!! Me too!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
When I lived in Phoenix Arizona, I had two gay friends that lived in an apartment below me. They both were lovers and openly gay.
I only stayed in Phoenix for 1 year and then moved on but, I kept in touch with one of them and later I found out that the other had joined a church, became really religious, chose to live a "moral life" in their words and gave up being gay, and is now married with kids and happy. So I guess it happens. I can't explain how something like this could happen, but I don't see anything wrong with someone making this kind of decision, as it was his decision to make the change.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I am afraid to have someone with such fundamentalist views potentially running our country. That's why I felt this article was important to post. People need to know what she stands for.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
If Palin is driving around with her hunting buddies, looking for gays, loading them into the back of a pickup, taking them to her church and forcing them to be "HEALED", then you make a good point.

But if gays are walking into her church and asking to be "converted" then what's wrong with that?

Isn't that free will and a form of Pro Choice?

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would just go off on a rampage here anyway.. I dont think I will add what I just said because well.. I get all hyped up when I see this crap.

Its very frustrating to see this stuff in this day and age. Just when you think they power of prayer can heal the sick.
This just goes to show what praying can do for folks!!

laughable..

Whats more laughable.. People sit around and pray all day long.

Lets pray for the homeless.. Lets pray for this and that..
YET never really doing anything about it!!

But then turn around and spend tons of money on new stuff for the church.
Yet lets pray for those with less..

Total BS.. And total maddness.

If their is a God up there.. Im sure he will take pity on all you folks wasting Gods time with empty prayers.

Empty heartless. soulless BS!!!

Get off your but and do something.. NO lets get on our knees and just prey.
More like prey on the weak, and ignorant..

[edit on 8-9-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Every church has it's own unique quirks, and to make an issue out of this little tidbit is ridiculous. It's a voluntary process, and as alxandro said, nobody is forcing them to convert. Believe it or not, there are gay people out there that aren't happy, and wish to be more mainstream.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Pray away and please hold your breathe!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I guess If McCain and Palin makes it to he white house we are going to have a lot of praying to solve society's moral problems

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5
Lets pray for the homeless.. Lets pray for this and that..
YET never really doing anything about it!!

From what I have seen - people who pray for others ALSO physically help others through soup kitchens and through church outreach programs.

They do both.

Originally posted by Alxandro
But if gays are walking into her church and asking to be "converted" then what's wrong with that?

That's pretty much what I'm getting from the story.

It's a CONFERENCE so anyone who is gay and goes is going of their own free will and they want to be 'converted' (or whatever the term is).

There is nothing wrong with people praying for, and over, others who WANT IT. Heck, there is nothing wrong with people getting together to pray for others who don't want prayers either.

It's when a religious group gets together and lies about other groups of people .... or when they get together and have a 'call to action' that is violent or in some way pushes themselves on others .... or if that religious group decides to fly airplanes into buildings full of poeple ... THEN you have a big problem.

If her group wants to pray over gays who voluntarily show up to be prayed over to be 'cured' (or whatever) ... that's between the gay person, the church, and God. I don't know what gay person would voluntarily show up to the conference, but if they go then that's their right to do so.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Is this what we really want in this country? I guess for some the answer would be yes. For me it would be NO!

You know it really goes to show you that Freedom of Speech can easily become Freedom of Stupidity. I mean seriously what are we talking about here people. Let's figure out a way to fix a genetic disorder through the power of holy intervention.

Next thing you know we'll have a Southern White Supremacist church who will openly invite blacks and we can help pray to turn them white....shut up and pack your bags cause the koolaid is on tap and the UFO will arive shortly to pick you ALL up.

Kaine-

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
While this type of accusation might be a smear to liberals, this is actually a positive and comforting reassurance to McCain's base supporters. I know that liberals in the East Coast and liberals in Hollywood all want to believe that the whole country believes the way that they do, but they're sadly mistaken. To the majority of the U.S. this accusation is a plus.

What's next? She's against abortion? She want's lower taxes? Bwaa haa haa! You guys are cracking me up.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zysin5

Get off your but and do something.. NO lets get on our knees and just prey.

Religious people donate more time and money to charity than any other group.

[edit on 8-9-2008 by mhc_70]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Um, you realize just how bigoted this is, right? I know the GOP is supposed to be the party of racism and bigotry but they usually try to hide it, for the most part. Not just come out and say things like this.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
No, it's not bigoted in the way that you're thinking. Homosexuals are not inferior to heterosexual people. They just have habits that are considered unfavorable. It's a large subject to tackle without getting into theology, but I can assure you that I don't feel homosexuals are bad people.

Amusing that you would throw racism into the mix here. You're just deflecting the issue onto a side subject. Homosexuality and racism are not related.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join