It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
NO ZED
QkAo RaKrNa EjKkQa Pk MlKy
C nKp CdKwP c NgPpNa
KpJaTq EjKkQa Pk MlKy
C nGpPnA cDkWp c NkP
cLb PjAtA cTa PjKqA yJk NgMa
pK NgXa HcQp ClB bGa UkWlI
ClB pJkQa YjK rTaHaT
pK pCmA gP qNkY cLb ItKy KnB
UaP pJaU pKk
YkXnB tCpJaT lKp

As of now, "No Zed" or "NZ", is worth 500 points and counting.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Excellent *tents fingers* on with the hunt!

(Been WAAAAAAAAY off on the last few, but still enjoying myself)

Static, good to see more people are playing, looks like it's catching on a bit

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
Static, good to see more people are playing, looks like it's catching on a bit

I agree that it is great to see more people playing...Great Work, Static...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Celtangel and MemoryShock, thank you so much. I promise I'm having as much fun as anyone else around here.

And for the record, this game wouldn't have been possible without MemoryShock's help. MS hooked up the points and helped me get it all going. Cheers, MS. Eternaly greatfull.

PS: MS, love the new avi. Peace.

[edit on 10/17/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Yeah well, good job indeed! Good job the players, and good job StaticSky! I was under the impression that Janus 3 would have to have 3 codes, 3 shifts, or something similar, but I never thought of Janus that way... Very nice!

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I never get these puzzles, they're always cracked before I get anywhere near the answer! But I love them, cheers Static Sky for the time.

Any pointers in technique and method would be appreciated from anyone, I'm not interested in the points, just how to do it.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
In a few minutes, "NZ" moves to 600 points. The title is a clue. A pretty obvious one really. The clue for tonight is that the key I made for this cipher is itself a puzzle. It's a bit of a tricky one. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Barathrum

Very nicely done.

I had no idea on that one.

It's also great too see other members at the plate.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Some people choose to know
A lot about a little
Others choose to know
A little about a lot
And there are those who like
To live fast and die young
And those who prefer
To take it slow and grow old
Yet they too
Would Rather not

I think that's right. I couldn't find any key, I solved it using old fashioned deduction, pen and paper and some help from this thread's previous posts.

The change in case of the letters meant nothing. I started with the small words, "C" must be A.

PK and GP were next, the "P" being at the beginning and the end, indicating a vowel, must be O.

The three letter words came next, NKP resuting in _OT and with it being next to a C, must be "A LOT". Lines 2 and 4 were the same reversed with the same word in the middle, so only certain things would fit. CLB and CTA became AND and ARE, the two most common 3 letter words beginning with A, and then letters could be filled in all over the code.

The lower lines came together through contextual examination (is that even a real phrase?), seeing what possible words could fit in the context of the sentence and using the letters I'd already found.

I don't quite know how to write a description of my solution in full like the previous solutions here, it was trial and error and deduction.

Out of curiosity Static Sky, how long should it have taken and what difficulty rating would you say this puzzle had?

Any good?

[edit on 19/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Nice job Sendran

From your solution I've worked bacwards in order to try and get the proper key... It worked to some extent but there's a glitch somewhere and I don't get it...

Anyhow, here I go:
The code is a substitution, clearly, so I wrote the alphabet in front of me, and starting from Sendran's solution, replacing back the letters where they should. I only got one problem (see below):

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY
edabcjifghonkletspqryxuvw
m m

The pattern seems to be, for whatever reason I ignore:
skip 2, write 3 letters in order
back 3, write the 2 next letters in reverse order
So the first block now is "edabc"
after that first 5 block, again, skip 2, write 3 next letters, back 3, 2 next in reverse order
we have now: edabcjifgh
etc.
There's only one problem, apparently, using that code: the very first word of the cipher contains an inversion: qkao would be then soem, so maybe it should have been qkoa...

I don't understand well the relation between the title NO ZED and this pattern... but it looks like it matches...

If someone can guess it??

P.S. I am not claiming points on this one, as I feel it would be unfair. Sendran actually deciphered it, even if it was "trial and error" as he said. I only worked backwards from the solution. Good job again, Sendran.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

Thanks for the comments SpookyVince. I had the substitutions written out too, now I know what they're called!

I took the first word mistake to be a typo, I'm sure it is. I started with the thread title "NO ZED", an anagram of DOZEN so I thought this may have something to do with the key, but found my method easier. Frequency and probability of words and letters.

I was quite chuffed with myself to be honest, although it depends how hard it was!

[edit on 19/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
WOW!!

That one didn't last long at all, well done too both of you.

I'm going too have too work fast on the next one by the look of it.

Once again, well done.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

Brilliant job Sendran! Cracking it the old fashioned will suffice with this one, as I knew it was susceptible to this from the start. I'll get 600 coming your way right away. Cheers for your work.

The title "No Zed" is literal. Remove Z from the alphabet. With 25 letters left, arrange in order, top left to right, then moving down through a 5x5 grid, similar to the answer for "Zero". Then you use the title's second purpose (a clue I never had a chance to get to), to order the strands, again like "Zero". "No Zed" in alpha-numeric order is 3-4-5-2-1. This is how the key itself is a puzzle. Then I just took the reordered alphabet strings and wrote them out as my new alphabet/key. Again top left across and down the grid to fill all 25 squares.

I saw the "3-4-5-2-1" pattern repeating its way across the 'zed-less' alphabet and new it looked to obvious. So I added a little misdirection with the alternating capital and small letters in the cipher. (Good catch, Sendran). This was of course, useless information. Designed only to send you in the wrong direction.

I nearly threw the cipher out, but I really wanted to see how misdirection would effect the solvers. (This is as much a learning process for me, as it is for you).

Sendran also asked how difficult I would rate this puzzle. The only answer I could give to that is, I never know. That's why I like the accumulative points system. It decides how hard the puzzle proves to be and awards points appropriately. I did expect "NZ" to last longer than it did, though.

I hope this helped. Congratulations again Sendran. And thanks for playing everyone! I'll get to work on a new code shortly. Cheers.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

Thanks Static Sky

I'm looking forward to the next one. I've flagged the thread too, I think this deserves more attention.

I liked the key, I will look for this type of thing in the next code. Knowledge of the language, frequency and probability of letters and words, in the pre coded message is very useful and is primarily how I solved it. Maybe a foreign language would remove this, making the key the only solution for us English speakers?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
Knowledge of the language, frequency and probability of letters and words, in the pre coded message is very useful and is primarily how I solved it. Maybe a foreign language would remove this, making the key the only solution for us English speakers?

Intersting idea. But I've got some tricks up my sleeve, yet. You have inspired me though, to fast track my "rabbit hole codes". My last two ciphers were cracked with honest elbow grease (good old substatution/working it out). I feel I need to step it up a notch. My sincerest thanks for that. (And for the flag, my friend).

Cheers and thank you all for playing.

[edit on 10/19/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Okay folks. I feel we have a great, solid group of solvers now, and we've all learned a lot. I hope you'll agree, that it's time to step it up a notch.

This is the start of something a little different. Nothing too crazy but be carefull to pay close attention for the next little while. (I hope you all enjoy this).

*No Boys Or Girls, Final-ly Just "The Wheel" c

-l,-E,N,-N,-n,N,t,-e,-N,E,t,-n,e,t,-E,-N
-e,t,E,Ne,-R,n,-N,E,-t,-r,-n,T,-N,N,-l,-S,-N
e,-Nv,E,E,-l,-n,E,S,-N,-n,-N,T,-N,-r,n,-n,-N,S
S,-N,-n,-N,-N,-L,-N,-L,N,-l,e,-N,-Rt,-r,-n
r

As of now, "The Wheel" is worth 500 points and counting.

Good luck everybody!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
I hope you'll agree, that it's time to step it up a notch.

This is that notch by the looks of it! Very tricky, only a handful of letters to work with. I'm taking it the 'wheel' clue is important, I'm looking there.

Edit to save extra post:

Anyone getting anywhere with this one?

[edit on 20/10/2008 by Sendran]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Alright folks. "The Wheel" has been at 600 points for about 45 minutes now. The title of this code is a reference to American TV and not the method used to solve the code. Also, "The Wheel" is code 1 of 4. I'll be adding #2 tomorrow evening. #3 goes, on Thursday, and #4 on Saturday. You are paying attention aren't you? Be well.

[edit on 10/20/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Two posts this evening. "The Wheel" is at 700 points now and a clarification clue for it....

It's really more a tiltle than any huge clue for the solution. And you'll notice that final-ly is conected to the second half of the title, with "The Wheel". Also, the first half of the title is as important as the second. Another small hint but this one relates to what the alphabet looked like after I made my key for this cipher.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
And another code. 2 of 4....

**Double-Z

tSVtvstsOoqRuV
ZvVZYOVtyOVZvz
UvyNtSVNRutZPVu
yUytSVihvu

a
As of 30 minutes ago (I'm keeping all 4 in the series in time with each other), "Double-Z" or "2Z" is worth 500 points and counting.

[edit on 10/21/2008 by Static Sky]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join